FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #4,921 of 7,931
  I admit I missed the general descriptions of the Celeste.   Is this a custom; in that one would go to an audiologist for a custom fitting?

I have never been all that clear what constitutes a CIEM anyway.

What improvements or changes would be made relative to the FLC8S?    I gather that the unit must be opened for modifications; and that then it is closed up again?

I actually do have some custom ear molds that were made for my old Shure E2C units by a now defunct unit of Starkey.   They worked decently in airplane usage.   Unfortunately I never did "cotton to the sound of the Shures relative to my other IEMs and I eventually sold them.

The customs sort of work with my Phonaks,but the sound with the Phonaks is much better with other tips.  I think there is too much leakage from the mismatch of bores.

Thanks.

A custom IEM or CIEM is a IEM with a shell that is custom made from your ear impressions.

This is a custom on the right and a FLC8S with custom ear tips on the left:

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #4,922 of 7,931
  I admit I missed the general descriptions of the Celeste.   Is this a custom; in that one would go to an audiologist for a custom fitting?

I have never been all that clear what constitutes a CIEM anyway.

What improvements or changes would be made relative to the FLC8S?    I gather that the unit must be opened for modifications; and that then it is closed up again?

I actually do have some custom ear molds that were made for my old Shure E2C units by a now defunct unit of Starkey.   They worked decently in airplane usage.   Unfortunately I never did "cotton to the sound of the Shures relative to my other IEMs and I eventually sold them.

The customs sort of work with my Phonaks,but the sound with the Phonaks is much better with other tips.  I think there is too much leakage from the mismatch of bores.

Thanks.

These are my "understandings", I could be wrong.   I don't believe the Celeste is a custom, at least at this point.  The FLC8S started out as a universal, and a custom version was later offered.  That could happen with the Celeste too, there is no way to know.  I don't think it has to be opened to make changes, I believe the tuning changes can be made by moving dials or some other such control on the exterior of the shell.  I have no idea how they sound compared to the 8S, just that there are 3 times as many sound profiles.  Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm making these conclusions just based on picture and what I've read.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #4,923 of 7,931
The Celeste will have different tuning system. Gear drive based one, to change the sound. So it will use a couple of screws you can change from the outside.

But guys - this was already mentioned in the thread. Just go back a few pages and read.

Cheers.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #4,925 of 7,931
Does the flc8 hiss on smartphones like the samsubg s6 or htc m8 or is generally prone to hiss? The stated senitivity is not high, so I hope not :wink:

Red grey gold is a vshaped tuning right? From description I predict it should sound similiat to söthe sennheiser ie800? Spacious with a lot of subbass and sparkling highs?

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,926 of 7,931
Does the flc8 hiss on smartphones like the samsubg s6 or htc m8 or is generally prone to hiss? The stated senitivity is not high, so I hope not
wink.gif

Red grey gold is a vshaped tuning right? From description I predict it should sound similiat to söthe sennheiser ie800? Spacious with a lot of subbass and sparkling highs?

they dont hiss for my samsung.
cheers!

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #4,927 of 7,931
@JohannLiebert

I am not sure about the two smartphones you mentioned as I've never heard these two, however the FLC8s is one of the more hiss-prone in-ears.

The FLC8s is somewhat different to the IE 800 in the lows with this tuning; red-black-green would imho be more similar to the Sennheiser. The FLC8s is one of the very few in-ears that has the ability to really just focus on the sub-bass without highlighting the midbass and upper bass. The Sennheiser has got more midbass, upper bass and lower root in comparison.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #4,928 of 7,931
Does the flc8 hiss on smartphones like the samsubg s6 or htc m8 or is generally prone to hiss? The stated senitivity is not high, so I hope not
wink.gif

No it does not hiss on my Htc M8.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #4,929 of 7,931
wink.gif

Red grey gold is not vshaped at all. I would actually put it somewhat balanced, maybe even mids emphasized depending on track except for subbass which is attenuated just a little to give a very fun listen. You can just hear the presence of subbass enough to be enjoyable (depending on tips). Other than that, mids are beautiful, no sign of typical vshaped mids at all. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #4,930 of 7,931
@hifichris
Would you say they hiss as much as your sd2?

How does the soundstage od the flc8 compare to ex1000, dunu dn2000j or even the sd4? Those 3 have the best soundstage Ive ever seen in an iem. Wide width, depth and 3d.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #4,931 of 7,931
@hifichris
Would you say they hiss as much as your sd2?

How does the soundstage od the flc8 compare to ex1000, dunu dn2000j or even the sd4? Those 3 have the best soundstage Ive ever seen in an iem. Wide width, depth and 3d.

Regarding your first question, I would say it's comparable and that the FLC8s is just slightly less sensitive to hissing sources.

As for your 2nd question, this is what I have written in my FLC8s review regarding soundstage:

Regarding instrument separation and spatial precision, the in-ears are technically really strong, as single elements, even if they are yet so small, are super precisely separated – almost as precisely as with the UERM. And as a result, the FLC8s even manages to separate and place instruments slightly more precisely than the DN-2000J which already does a really good job here.

[...]

When it is about three-dimensional presentation and naturalness, the FLC leaves a very positive impression and sounds harmonious.

[...]

FLC8s’ soundstage is a bit wider than DUNU’s, however less deep. In terms of spatial presentation and instrument separation, the FLC is somewhat more precise, with instruments that are very cleanly placed and sharply separated from each other – even more than DN-2000J’s.

[...]

There is also a good amount of depth, though it is just about one quarter less distinct than width, [...]

So what you're basically getting is a more precise, sharper separated soundstage that is a bit wider than deep but does create a good spatiality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back