FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #467 of 7,931
  nmatheis, thanks for your help.  I see some fellow Canadian head-fiers have had a chance to audition them via a meet.  That is great for me because I can go and check the meet thread for impressions. 

I may look at close up pictures compared to the A83 and the DN2000J to try to get a visual perspective on the nozzle length.  It wouldn't be a criticism if I discovered they're shorter like the Fitdue because the design of the housings are different and insertion angle is also a factor.  I may ask you to break out the ol' ruler if the visual route isn't helpful.

Keep the measurement project in mind because that's eventually going to draw people in. 

I absolutely love the design concept.  The additional filters and nozzles function as handy replacement parts, god forbid. 

The ability to change the sound in so many ways is perfect for the high end user. 

The length of the nozzle was designed in purpose, in order to separate the sound of the armatures and the dynamic.

I can say FLC8 uses the sound of the speakers at the extreme lever, at some frequency, we overlap the sounds, but at some frequency we counteract the sounds, we made a long nozzle to separate the sounds to make the sounds not over-counteracting at about 5000Hz.

5000Hz is the frequency of "the sound of teeth"(sorry, I don't know how to say the word), too high frequency response at 5000Hz, the sound of teeth will be too much, but if it's too low, vocal will not so solid, so we use length of the nozzle and the hole of the dynamic output to control the frequency response at 5000Hz.

How can the sounds be counteracted, that's because the high frequency armature was wired backward.

If you compare the gunblue nozzle and the gold nozzle, you'll find that the sounds are much different, but I tell you, the filters inside the two nozzle is the same. but why the sounds different so much? the secret is the hole at the side of the nozzles, if you compare the two nozzles, you'll find that the hole at the gold is much bigger, the bigger hold allow more mid-frequency sound and more high frequency sound to go though, the mid-frequency sound go to overlap the armature sound, but the high frequency sound will go to counteract the armature sound, that why the gold nozzle gets a better vocal voice with less the sound of teeth.

If we make the nozzle shorter, there will be too much dynamic high frequency sound go though to counteract the armature high frequency, frequency response at 5000Hz will drop down too much!
We make the nozzle vertical to the housing, that's because the housing is very small, if the housing is big, can not do that way, because the housing will touch the ears.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #471 of 7,931

The length of the nozzle was designed in purpose, in order to separate the sound of the armatures and the dynamic.

I can say FLC8 uses the sound of the speakers at the extreme lever, at some frequency, we overlap the sounds, but at some frequency we counteract the sounds, we made a long nozzle to separate the sounds to make the sounds not over-counteracting at about 5000Hz.

5000Hz is the frequency of "the sound of teeth"(sorry, I don't know how to say the word), too high frequency response at 5000Hz, the sound of teeth will be too much, but if it's too low, vocal will not so solid, so we use length of the nozzle and the hole of the dynamic output to control the frequency response at 5000Hz.

How can the sounds be counteracted, that's because the high frequency armature was wired backward.

If you compare the gunblue nozzle and the gold nozzle, you'll find that the sounds are much different, but I tell you, the filters inside the two nozzle is the same. but why the sounds different so much? the secret is the hole at the side of the nozzles, if you compare the two nozzles, you'll find that the hole at the gold is much bigger, the bigger hold allow more mid-frequency sound and more high frequency sound to go though, the mid-frequency sound go to overlap the armature sound, but the high frequency sound will go to counteract the armature sound, that why the gold nozzle gets a better vocal voice with less the sound of teeth.

If we make the nozzle shorter, there will be too much dynamic high frequency sound go though to counteract the armature high frequency, frequency response at 5000Hz will drop down too much!
We make the nozzle vertical to the housing, that's because the housing is very small, if the housing is big, can not do that way, because the housing will touch the ears.

Wow! That was insightful! It's amazing how much engineering goes into earphones. In my opinion, you guys have nailed it. I'm curious though; will there be any more tuning filters being developed for the FLC8 in the future, and also, will all future tuneable IEMs by FLC Tech have the same filter design making them interchangeable between the models?

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #473 of 7,931

Very interesting stuff Forest.

Now I have a few questions about your design feel free to not answer what you don't want to.

If I understand correctly you use a Dynamic driver and a double Balanced Armature.
Is the BA a TWFK? Wired with a high pass filter?
Did you use any electric filters on the BA or the Dynamic Driver that you needed to wired the BA out of phase (reverse polarity)?
How big is the Dynamic driver?
If I understand correctly the filters at the nozzle are for the BA, but they have holes on the sides letting the DD sound through the same tunnel as the BA into the tip. Differences in diameter of the holes on the side of the nozzle filters, allows different parts of the frequency response of the DD sound to interact with the BA frequency response. 
The bass of the DD goes through but mid and highs of the DD are dependent of the diameters sides holes.
The reverse polarity of the BA intrigues me, can you share more details on that?

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #474 of 7,931

Now I have a few questions about your design feel free to not answer what you don't want to.

If I understand correctly you use a Dynamic driver and a double Balanced Armature.
Did you use any electric filters on the BA or the Dynamic Driver that you needed to wired the BA out of phase (reverse polarity)?
If I understand correctly the filters at the nozzle are for the BA, but they have holes on the sides letting the DD sound through the same tunnel as the BA into the tip. Differences in diameter of the holes on the side of the nozzle filters, allows different parts of the frequency response of the DD sound to interact with the BA frequency response. 
The bass of the DD goes through but mid and highs of the DD are dependent of the diameters sides holes.
The reverse polarity of the BA intrigues me, can you share more details on that?

I see where you're going with this. It would be very interesting to get a blank nozzle filter and modify it to see how it changes the sound. You theory goes that the BA use a separate chamber to the DD, if I got that correct? That means that there would be no need for the crossover network as the nozzle would work as a mechanical or physical crossover. I think you've just opened up a whole new can of worms in terms of discussion. 
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #475 of 7,931

you are right! The BA is TWFK, wired with a high pass filter.

There is no other electric filter besides the high pass filter on the TWFK.

DD is 8.6MM.

We didn't reverse both of the BA, just reverse the for high frequency.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #476 of 7,931

I see where you're going with this. It would be very interesting to get a blank nozzle filter and modify it to see how it changes the sound. You theory goes that the BA use a separate chamber to the DD, if I got that correct? That means that there would be no need for the crossover network as the nozzle would work as a mechanical or physical crossover. I think you've just opened up a whole new can of worms in terms of discussion. 
eek.gif

The green nozzle is empty.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #477 of 7,931
DJScope said:

Wow! That was insightful! It's amazing how much engineering goes into earphones. In my opinion, you guys have nailed it. I'm curious though; will there be any more tuning filters being developed for the FLC8 in the future, and also, will all future tuneable IEMs by FLC Tech have the same filter design making them interchangeable between the models?

Didn't want this to get buried, as I'm interested in the answer, as well.Flcforrestwei?

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #478 of 7,931
I wouldn't mind either way, as 36 is plenty to play with, but yeah good question. Or go the simpler way with tuning ports and screws?

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #479 of 7,931

+1

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #480 of 7,931

It's great that the big guy let us know some insight of building an IEM.
Didn't want this to get buried, as I'm interested in the answer, as well.@Flcforrestwei?

+2 
beerchug.gif
 I hope we are not stressing @Flcforrestwei

Users who are viewing this thread

Back