FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Apr 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #76 of 320
dj nellie:

There were a couple reports of users with iPhone 3GS (and iPod Touch 3rd Generation) having playback issues with 24-bit files after the update.  I presume they didn't have issues with 24-bit before the update, but don't know for sure.  

What I do know is that 1.1 I made a change to how 24-bit audio is handled in all cases, and I should be able to go back to the old method for old devices.  I'm installing 4.2 on my dusty old iPhone 3G now to confrim this.

Edit: just finished the test, the 3G can't play 24-bit using FLAC Player 1.1.  The app doesn't crash, it just doesn't play.  I'll get an update together ASAP that rolls back this behavior for the older devices.

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #77 of 320
Cool, thanks for the info. Dan.  And thanks for creating, and continuing to update, a very useful app.

I actually have an iPhone 4, and I have the 24-bit playback issues you described with the 3GS--songs load onto the iPhone but won't play, and it either crashes the app or kicks me back to the previous screen.  I have the latest iOS, so I don't know what the problem is.  I suppose I'll eventually try a restore, but that never seems to actually recover all my music. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #78 of 320
Wow, It took me a bit to realize you were the developer.  I've been using this app for a while and really like it.  The only thing that would make it better for me is if I didn't have to use itunes to load songs, but I don't realistically expect that to change.  Actually, this app is the only real reason I'm keeping my ipod touch as I would really like to be able to remove itunes from my computers (too bulky for no reason) and cut ties with apple, but this way I can just archive my music in flac only deal with itunes occasionally.  

May 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #79 of 320
Besides the 1.1 playback issues (I have a 2G Touch stuck at ios 4.2.1), does anyone know whether 24/96 playback will work with an external dac other than the Solo. I am currently preferring the iBasso D6 but the Solo lists among features -
"Authentication of the accessory to the iPod is performed using an Apple supplied authentication coprocessor which communicates over IIC".
Will this prevent other dacs from functioning?

May 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #80 of 320
D6 might work via camera kit with iPad but not with any iPod. To use a dac other than Solo (and the upcoming Fostex unit) you need a dock like the Pure i-20, Wadia or the like

May 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #82 of 320

Quote:
D6 might work via camera kit with iPad but not with any iPod. To use a dac other than Solo (and the upcoming Fostex unit) you need a dock like the Pure i-20, Wadia or the like

Fostex preview pic looks not pocket size (and not available till Oct). The Algo Solo, upon further research, may not really deliver 24/96, despite internal Wolfson capability. On Alo Audio site, it's attributed to Apple device DAP platform limit. But in one of the reviews, it's attributed to it's usb limitation. Other 24/96 dacs, like the iBasso D6 or DacPort, have 24/96 capable usb ports but not the Apple authentication chip. What's still not entirely clear to me is whether the auth chip is only necessary to control an iPod Classic or also for all iOS devices. 
Anyway, it seems that Flac Player 24/96 support for iPhone/Touch at least is still only theoretical, in which case, I have buyer's remorse.

May 2, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #83 of 320
Solo isen't exactly pocket size either. Authentication chip is what allows any iDevice to deliver digital out. Only the iDevices have the theoretical possibility to deliver higher than 16/48 with external dacs and Flac Player isen't the only app attempting this but I don't know to what extent any of them have acheived it as I only use line out

May 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #84 of 320

Quote:
Solo isen't exactly pocket size either. Authentication chip is what allows any iDevice to deliver digital out. Only the iDevices have the theoretical possibility to deliver higher than 16/48 with external dacs and Flac Player isen't the only app attempting this but I don't know to what extent any of them have acheived it as I only use line out

What about upcoming FiiO X3? Accepting possibility of resorting outside Apple, I just learned about it further searching here. I also picked up rumors of Apple planning HD offerings.

May 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #85 of 320
The Fiio looks interresting as does the upcoming LittleDot player but I have such a huge library of aac 320KB music that support for that format is essential and my library is set up in iTunes so I'm fairly locked and generally satisfied with the Apple performance through line-out

May 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #86 of 320
In case you're already too bogged down with feature requests: It wouldn't hurt to add an audioscrobbler. :wink:

May 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #88 of 320
Until I can figure out how to get 24/96 playback on FLAC Player, or there is a software update which gets hi-res files to play for me, I've given up on 3rd party apps.  I just ordered a 160GB Classic, and I'll convert my FLAC/APE files to ALAC using dbpoweramp, which will allow me to make custom playlists, rate songs, and not have the buggy problems that I've experienced so far with both FLAC Player and Golden Ears. 

But I'm still hoping that Dan can fix the hi-res issue that I'm having, since I'm not about to restore my iPhone (and possibly lose all my data) just to get hi-res playback (which I already have on my HM-801).

May 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #89 of 320
Flac Player 1.1.1 has just been released in the app store

May 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #90 of 320
Hah, right when I say that I'm done with FLAC Player, Dan puts out another update.  Well, thank you for continuing to improve the software.  I'll give it a try with my hi-res files tonight.  Is anyone noticing any improvements with the update?

By the way, I have the latest iOS for iPhone 4 (4.2.7), so while it's cool to see that the update apparently fixes the 24-bit output for 4.2 and earlier devices, I'm hoping that it also fixed whatever the problem was that I was having. I'm also happy to see that Shuffle was added, but there still doesn't appear to be a "Shuffle all tracks" option for every song in the app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back