FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Apr 21, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #61 of 320
I haven't installed the new version yet.  Does it include the feature from the beta where it displays the sample rate of the track?  I liked that little feature in the beta.

I don't think that feature is there, at least I can't find it anywhere

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #62 of 320
Yeah, the displayed sample rate was only in the beta and has been disabled.  If you want it in a future version let me know.

nc8000, was your issue resolved with a reinstall?  I've received one other report from a user with an iPhone 3GS that was having playback issues, but otherwise it's been quiet.

Thanks for explaining the collections - basically if you have ALBUM tags, those will generate a collection.  Otherwise it looks for common file prefixes or files added in the same batch.  It's not perfect (hence splitting/merging), but works pretty well if you have tags.

Personally I usually keep 5-10 albums/shows on at a time, and rotate them, so I wanted to make it easy to drag stuff in and not have to organize much.  However, I'm getting a lot of feedback from users who want to store more than that, so I'm going to extend the organization to support browsable artists/albums/playlists.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #63 of 320
I installed the new iOS for my iPhone 4 and then got the FLAC Player v.1.1 update.  It still freezes iTunes for me when copying FLAC files over, and I can't get it to play any 24-bit files (either 88khz or 96).  The song titles, cover art, and song lengths will load, but the player just kicks me back one screen if I try to play a Hi-Res song.  And I still don't like how you can't delete an individual song within an album from iTunes, you have to delete the whole album.

I discovered Golden Ears, which is far from perfect but seems very promising.  I copied about 3GB of FLAC and APE (yes, APE!) files to my Touch 2g and iPhone 4 without any freezing of iTunes.  You can view songs by Artist, Album, or All Songs, and the Shuffle mode will shuffle within whichever list you picked a song from.  The one APE file I've tried so far works, which I think is incredible seeing as how no other player I know (not even Rockbox'd 5.5g) can play my APE files consistently and with stability.

But there are downsides:  On my old Touch 2g, songs will occasionally freeze for a split second for no apparent reason--the release notes says that this can happen with older gen players, and this doesn't seem to happen on my iPhone 4.  Also, if you unlock your screen while a song is playing, the song will freeze for a moment too (both iPhone and Touch).

Still, it seems very promising, especially at the introductory $6 price.  These are very minor annoyances that to me are greatly outweighed by its usability compared to FLAC Player.  If FLAC Player could have a "List All Songs" option, iron out the Hi-res bugs, and allow custom playlists/rating of songs, it would be awesome.  I do love that you can delete songs directly on the player.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #64 of 320
After upgrading to the latest version of iOS and latest Flac Player version everything works fine again on both my Touch 64GB and iPhone4. It is at times slow transferring from my pc but leave it alone and transfers eventually finish. It plays all the different rate files I have (16/44, 24/48, 24/88 and 24/96). The display of sample rate would be nice especially if that indicates what is being output to an external dac. I just fill the Touch with as many albums as I can and rarely rotates/replaces (am waiting for a 128GB or greater version).

Has anybody with a Solo, Wadia, Pure or other digital out tested that hires actually does come out of an iPhone or Touch ?

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #65 of 320
I've had more time to try Golden Ears.  If you have a Touch 2g, don't bother getting it.  Once I filled it with about 10GB of FLAC and APE, it began to crash every time I unlock the screen after it goes idle.  So I just set my brightness to the lowest setting and turned off auto-lock.  It's a pain but an acceptable solution for now, since Golden Ears is the only app that has a "Shuffle All" option and can play APE.

The crashing also happens with the iPhone 4, but at least it doesn't periodically skip/freeze during songs like on the Touch 2g.

I'm hoping that Dan will fix the bugs with 24/96 support on FLAC Player (unless I'm doing something wrong), add a Shuffle All option, and custom playlists.  Also, I'd like to know why my iTunes crashes so often when I'm loading tracks onto the app.  Otherwise, it's a nice app and I appreciate the effort that went into it.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #66 of 320
What bugs are you experiencing with 24/96, for me it works great (I'm using a latest generation Touch) ?

The shuffle feature and play lists I don't miss as I'm so old school that I always plays whole albums in original track order.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #67 of 320
How are you outputting 24/96 from your Touch?  I can get 24/96 songs to show up in FLAC Player, with album covers and song lengths.  But they just won't play, if I click on one of them it kicks me back to the previous screen.

And now, I'm getting the freezes/skips with FLAC Player that I get with Golden Ears.  Maybe it's just my old Touch 2g that's the problem, but I'm surprised that it's having so many issues with these apps.  I never hear skips on my Touch when playing from the iPod menu.

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #68 of 320
I'm just using the normal line-out to my Protector (don't have any digital extraction devices) but it plays everything fine (am listening to 24/96 as I write this). The problems you describe are exactly the same I had on my Touch after upgrading Flac Player until I upgraded it to the latest iOS 4.3.2 after which all works fine again as it did with the previous versions of Flac Player and iOS

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #69 of 320
     Quote:
Maybe it's just my old Touch 2g that's the problem, but I'm surprised that it's having so many issues with these apps.  I never hear skips on my Touch when playing from the iPod menu.

Quote:
I'm just using the normal line-out to my Protector (don't have any digital extraction devices) but it plays everything fine (am listening to 24/96 as I write this). The problems you describe are exactly the same I had on my Touch after upgrading Flac Player until I upgraded it to the latest iOS 4.3.2 after which all works fine again as it did with the previous versions of Flac Player and iOS

AFAIK, the ipod touch gen 2 can't get the latest ios updates, so judging from nc8000's experience, I'd say it is your touch that is the problem, unfortunately.  

I haven't run into any troubles with FLAC player for quite some time and I use it just about every day.  

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #70 of 320
Any reason a 64GB 3rd-gen Touch would have any issues? Speedwise it should be comparable to a current (4th-gen) Touch, yes?
Any problems getting the current OS updates?

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #71 of 320
Quote:
     Quote:
     Quote:

AFAIK, the ipod touch gen 2 can't get the latest ios updates, so judging from nc8000's experience, I'd say it is your touch that is the problem, unfortunately.  

I haven't run into any troubles with FLAC player for quite some time and I use it just about every day.  

Well I should clarify, 24/96 files won't play in FLAC Player even on my iPhone 4 (with latest iOS).  I also tried 24/88 and 24/44 FLAC files in FLAC Player, none of them worked.

But I discovered something surprising.  24/88 and 24/96 AIFF files do play on my iPhone through my Solo in normal iPod mode.  I'm not sure if it's actually outputting at 24/88 or 24/96--could it be downsampling? 

A 24/96 FLAC file converted to M4A, and a native 24/96 M4A file won't even copy onto my iPhone.  So it seems like AIFF is the file to convert to in foobar for Hi-Res files.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #72 of 320

Quote:
Any reason a 64GB 3rd-gen Touch would have any issues? Speedwise it should be comparable to a current (4th-gen) Touch, yes?
Any problems getting the current OS updates?

No.  For some reason, apple just decided to quit updating the firmware for gen 2.  I'm not sure why though.  Gen 3 is ok for now, that's what I have, but I don't know how long it will take for apple to neglect these ipods in the future.  Maybe when gen 5 or 6 comes they'll decide its not worth it to support gen 3 users. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Well I should clarify, 24/96 files won't play in FLAC Player even on my iPhone 4 (with latest iOS).  I also tried 24/88 and 24/44 FLAC files in FLAC Player, none of them worked.

But I discovered something surprising.  24/88 and 24/96 AIFF files do play on my iPhone through my Solo in normal iPod mode.  I'm not sure if it's actually outputting at 24/88 or 24/96--could it be downsampling? 

A 24/96 FLAC file converted to M4A, and a native 24/96 M4A file won't even copy onto my iPhone.  So it seems like AIFF is the file to convert to in foobar for Hi-Res files.

Well that's a bit different then.  I don't have a problem with 24/96 on FLAC player though I know it doesn't output at that resolution (it might if I had a solo, I don't know much about that unit).  I know it's a pain in the ass but I would try a fresh install of the latest ios and see if things change if I was in your position.  I remember having a problem on one of the major ios updates and wiping the device and re-installing everything fixed it, but it sucked having to do that then load around 50gig of files back on the ipod.  

I wasn't aware, though, that you could play high res AIFF on the normal playback app.  That's quite interesting.  

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #73 of 320
I was already having a hard time picking 32GB worth of 320k MP3's to carry around… Now it looks like I'll have even less options! Thanks for the find.

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #74 of 320
Can someone else try converting a 24-bit file (any format) in foobar to AIFF and seeing if it actually outputs 24-bit to a 24-bit capable DAC (Solo, Wadia, or any other)? 

And those of you who are able to play 24-bit FLAC files in FLAC Player, I assume you're only getting 16-bit playback because you're using the internal DAC?  None of my native 24-bit files (like from HDtracks.com) will play, but I guess I'll try a re-install of the iOS.  Does that require formatting my iPhone?

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #75 of 320
Yes I expect I'm only getting 16/44 or 16/48 from my hires files via the build in dac and line out however it sounds clearly better than the same files did on an iRiver H-140 with RockBox. On RockBox there were a lot of downsampling artefacts, hiss and noice which is not present in Flac Player nor on HM-602 that handles hires natively. I actually find Flac Player on Touch to be nearly as good as HM-602 but a different sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back