FLAC Player for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
May 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #91 of 320
4.2.7 is not the latest iOS for iPhone. The newest is 4.3.2

May 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #92 of 320
I should clarify that I have the Verizon iPhone, so it's not GSM--it's limited to 4.2.7.

But good news:  I got a 24/96 file to play in FLAC Player!  It was such a beautiful moment when I heard the intro to Bill Evan's Waltz for Debby, which was recently released by HDtracks.com in 24/96--an absolute classic recording that has never sounded better.

So it must have been the update for older iOS iDevices that fixed it.  I also tried a few 24/88 files, and they also worked.  Amazing.

I have to say kudos to Dan for ironing out the bugs.  Now with hi-res playback, the iPhone + Solo is a sick package.  Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

May 4, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #93 of 320
Ahh, didn't even know that the Verizon version existed, that explains all your problems as the change Apple made came in 4.3.2 so you are indeed benefitting from the "legacy" support in the 1.1.1 version of Flac Player

May 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #94 of 320

I should clarify that I have the Verizon iPhone, so it's not GSM--it's limited to 4.2.7.

But good news:  I got a 24/96 file to play in FLAC Player!  It was such a beautiful moment when I heard the intro to Bill Evan's Waltz for Debby, which was recently released by HDtracks.com in 24/96--an absolute classic recording that has never sounded better.

So it must have been the update for older iOS iDevices that fixed it.  I also tried a few 24/88 files, and they also worked.  Amazing.

I have to say kudos to Dan for ironing out the bugs.  Now with hi-res playback, the iPhone + Solo is a sick package.  Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

May 9, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #95 of 320
I want my music files to ultimately be in FLAC format for use by my music server in the main rig. I'm planning to use FLACplayer (64GB 3rd-gen iTouch on the way) for portable play & I'd also like to minimize my usage of iTunes to control my Touch.

Are there any advantages to ripping my files to ALAC using iTunes first, then transcoding to FLAC (with something like dBpoweramp) vs. using EAC to rip directly to FLAC?

May 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #96 of 320
With the advent of ever increasing apps such as Flac player, and uncompressed streaming music functions of WebPlay with JRiver, etc, etc... I haven't found any benefits to sticking with Apple's proprietary format (which last I tried, hi-res files still couldn't even be loaded to any i-devices, so what's the point). I only convert to Flac these days

May 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #97 of 320
Quote:
Are there any advantages to ripping my files to ALAC using iTunes first, then transcoding to FLAC (with something like dBpoweramp) vs. using EAC to rip directly to FLAC?

Well, if you have (or plan to buy) other iDevices it may be useful to have your collection in ALAC so that you don't have to exclusively use your Touch.  Also, FLAC Player isn't entirely bug-free or have all the features you may want--it sometimes crashes iTunes if you copy a lot of files into it, and the app still doesn't have "Shuffle All" or custom playlist options.   But the developer seems to be continuing to improve upon it, so it may well be a very near-perfect solution one day soon.

I just got a 160GB classic, which I'm using for my converted FLAC to ALAC 16-bit files.  I'll be using my Touch and iPhone almost exclusively for 24-bit files.

May 14, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #98 of 320
I purchased the latest FLACplayer 1.1.1 & installed it on my 3rd-gen 64GB Touch this week. Currently playing the handful of free 24/96 sampler files from HDtracks and High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT) without a hitch. Still getting used to the dynamic range on a portable device. This is gonna be fun.

May 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #99 of 320
You can also get various free hires flac files on naimlabel.com

May 14, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #100 of 320
May 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #101 of 320

Quote:
I purchased the latest FLACplayer 1.1 & installed it on my 3rd-gen 64GB Touch this week. Currently playing the handful of free 24/96 sampler files from HDtracks and High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT) without a hitch. Still getting used to the dynamic range on a portable device. This is gonna be fun.

Hi do you use any portable amps for your iTouch? I am still hesitating, since it seems the DAC and other components in iTouch are not that great.

May 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #102 of 320
I pair my Classic and Touch line-out with my SR71-B and that works great, the sq line-out from iDevices is perfectly acceptabel although something like theSole will lift the leve a lot but then it gets too bulky for me

May 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #103 of 320
So I finally got a DAC that displays the signal resolution that is being fed to it from my CLAS and it is reporting that all my 88, 96, 176, and 192 kHz files are being down-converted to 48 kHz - has anyone else conducted the same test on your equipment? The file size loaded on my iPhone is the same as it should be, so I don't think anything is happening in the file transfer process...

Dan, can you please comment? Is Flac player or Apple iOS the guilty culprit? Have you already tested this and the fault is on my end? And if it is Flac player, any chance to get this fixed?

May 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #104 of 320
Quote:

Hi do you use any portable amps for your iTouch? I am still hesitating, since it seems the DAC and other components in iTouch are not that great.

RSA Protector being fed from the iTouch thru an RSA low-profile LOD.

Curious, why do you consider the DAC in the iTouch below par? What portable device would you consider "better" in that area & why?

May 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #105 of 320

Quote:
Quote:

RSA Protector being fed from the iTouch thru an RSA low-profile LOD.

Curious, why do you consider the DAC in the iTouch below par? What portable device would you consider "better" in that area & why?

I traded my iPod 5G (stock version, not iMod) for my current iTouch. Even using the apple headphone I could notice some difference. Did some research online, found the DAC chip in iPod 5G was obviously superior, and now I missed my iPod 5G. However iTouch serves me really well as a PMP and e/i-device, but not as good a dedicated portable audio player, hope to have a chance to listen to some Hifimans
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back