FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal!
Dec 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,756 of 4,896
Quote:
That looks really interesting. I think I can identify the iPod, the AlgoRhythm Solo, and the FitEar ToGo 334, but what is the amp? Thanks!

ALO Continental V2

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,757 of 4,896
Quote:
Quote:

It'll sound even better with the 1 ohm factory mod...

A bit OT but I am curious as to why anyone would get a Dacport without the 1 ohm mod. Is it more volume (if this is adjusted accordingly)?

I had a short correspondence with CEntrance some time ago concerning the 1 ohm mod. Here is part of it...

------------------------------
Hi ...,

Thanks for your interest in our products!

The 1ohm mod flattens the bottom end, which is a bit warmer on the stock
versions of our products. Personally I prefer the stock configuration,
but more of our IEM customers tend to opt for this mod.

Let me know how else I can assist.

Regards,
Jonathan

On 3/18/12 9:39 AM, Michael Goodman wrote:
> Dear ...,
>
> Thank you for your nice comments.
>
> Regarding your IEM question, I'm copying my colleague Jonathan, who has more experience with IEM and will get back to you on Monday with additional clarifications.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Michael
>
>
> On Mar 18, 2012, at 8:05 AM, "..."<...@...> wrote:
>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> Thank you for your quick reply, much appreciated!
>>
>> Before placing my order for the DACPort, can you please advise me on the
>> following? I am an IEM guy, and have several IEMs and CIEMs. (Mostly from
>> the French company EarSonics, having great sounding products). Of course,
>> all of these IEMs are low impedance (17-60 ohm). From a technical point of
>> view I understand (I’m not a technical person) that the general consensus
>> is that I should go with the 1 ohm mod. On the other hand, reading about
>> the DACMini CX, the description that the 1 ohm mod makes it sound “more
>> clinical” doesn’t really appeal to me. Then again your tip is to: “Use
>> this mod to get the best out of low-impedance headphones.” So, I’m not
>> really sure which way to go. I’d appreciate your advice!

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,758 of 4,896
Quote:
The problem hardly exists with 1,(I skipped 2, but have 1,3,4) but 3,4 changes a lot. Seems that it's been designed to go well with Sony DAPs.

oh... I might need to give 1 a try in the future. But that wouldn't be strange since the more drivers inside, the more interaction going on even when the change in each driver is minute.

I never tried the XBA with any Walkman, but the XBA-4 sounds pretty good with the Zune HD.

Anyway, that's quite off topic.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,759 of 4,896
Dec 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,760 of 4,896
Quote:
Yes indeed, my beloved Continental
smily_headphones1.gif

I've used the continental very contentedly (ha ha) with the 334s, at least until the Intruder stumped it for me xD

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,761 of 4,896
Yes indeed, my beloved Continental :)

I've used the continental very contentedly (ha ha) with the 334s, at least until the Intruder stumped it for me xD

Are u saying the Intruder are adding something good here compared to the clas/v2?
Would love a short comparison here using the 334s.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,762 of 4,896
Quote:
oh... I might need to give 1 a try in the future. But that wouldn't be strange since the more drivers inside, the more interaction going on even when the change in each driver is minute.

I never tried the XBA with any Walkman, but the XBA-4 sounds pretty good with the Zune HD.

Anyway, that's quite off topic.

The topic's been derailed for long time, don't see any problem to be honest.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,763 of 4,896
Are u saying the Intruder are adding something good here compared to the clas/v2?
Would love a short comparison here using the 334s.

I'll get to that as soon as I can :) but yes i really liked the continental v2 on the 334s until I got the Intruder :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,764 of 4,896
popcorn.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,765 of 4,896
Spent some time with the FitEar To Go! 334 with 000 cables on the Continental V2 vs. The Intruder

Source and cables used:
iPod Classic 7g
Venturecraft iPod LOD (iPod Dock to USB)
Cypherlabs Algorhythm Solo
ALO 18 SXC Interconnect
FitEar To Go! 334 fitted with stock double flange tips.
FitEar 000 upgrade cables.

Here's some impressions/observations.

ALO Audio The Continental V2 (V2):

1. Before the music:
The first thing I notice (after having spent so much time with the Continental V2 and the FitEar To Go! 334) is a teeny tiny bit of background hiss. Some cannot or do not hear it but I honestly, true to God, hear that teeny tiny bit of hiss. Its not as bad/prominent as the hiss on the ALO Rx Mk3-B but there is one. Please note the V2 is set to low gain at this point in time and I have not turned the volume knob in any way. Also note the V2 is a tube amp so it takes a few minutes upon turning it on before it actually starts delivering sonics to your ears.

Now for the fun part:

2. The Music:
I'm going to be using my 30-track test playlist for this one, here we go:

Track 1: "Be Still and Know" - Machine Head (Instrument separation test - Metal)
I love this track for testing instrument separation, which is a big factor for me. Being the first track on the list, I crank up a bit of the volume and notice one big thing (for me anyway). There's a bit of channel imbalance before the volume hits 1/10th of the knob's turning point. The right earphone is much much louder than the left. Now the 334s are a really sensitive IEM and so its really obvious for me. Good thing "normal listening level" for me is in between 1/10 and 1/5th of the knob, but I still notice the imbalance at lower levels (this is LOW GAIN!)

There is definitely a bit of warmth on the track as it plays, making the drums feel a little "fat" and the band seems to be set in one straight line, making the soundstage a little 2d, but that's not much of a problem for me.

Track 2: "Something About Us (Daft Punk Cover)" - Balance and the Traveling Sounds (Instrument separation test - Jazz)
Great track and the instrumental at the beginning helps determine how good brass and piano will sound on your 'phones. I absolutely love the way the instruments are presented on the V2 on this track. Very warm, very jazzy.

Track 3: "Drama Queen" - Family Force 5 (Bass test - Boom boom bass)
This track is great for testing all kinds of boom boom bass since there's a sharp bass in the background and electronic bass thumping right at you through the song. Unfortunately the sharp bass isn't rendered too well on the V2 so it loses some of its boom boom bassness.

Track 4: "Take the Power Back" - Rage Against The Machine (Bass test - Bass guitar)
I absolutely love hearing bass guitars in my music and the bass on this track is one of the best I've ever heard. But I have to note, the V2 is a little "weak" on bass, not very convincing right now...

Track 5: "Some Nights" - fun. (Vocal test - Group vocals)
This track has a great intro to test vocals on, and for the most part the V2 delivers, but some of the finer vocal points get lost in the background (e.g. high vocals in the intro gets covered by the other voices).

I'd add more impressions of the V2 but this will suffice for a start.

Switching off to:

Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline The Intruder (INT)

1. Before the Music:
One thing to note with the Intruder compared to the V2 is that the INT is smaller in every way to the V2. It is much thinner and shorter than the V2. Upon plugging in the TG334s to the INT, the first thing I notice is there is no background hiss at all total blackness. Setting the balanced audio output of the Intruder to Mid gain gives the background a bit of hiss, noticeably louder than the V2 at low gain but who'd listen to sensitive IEMs at mid gain???

2. The Music:

Track 1: "Be Still and Know" - Machine Head (Instrument separation test - Metal)
No imbalance as I crank up the volume. At low gain the volume knob is also in between 1/10 and 1/5th on the volume knob. Still no hiss.

First thing I notice with the start of the track is how separated the guitar feels from the drums. The drummer sounds like he's a bit behind you while the guitarist is right beside you. Instruments are really well separated on this bad boy. Drums sound nice and crisp along with the cymbals being just a little laid back.

Track 2: "Something About Us (Daft Punk Cover)" - Balance and the Traveling Sounds (Instrument separation test - Jazz)
I really love this track, and the INT truly shines with it as well. The instruments sound crisper, and much more engaging. Vocals on the track are really good and don't overpower the instruments.

The bass really punches now, from the little bassy taps at the left earphone to the boom boom deep bass in the main track, I love the feeling as the track really gets you pumped on this amp.

Track 4: "Take the Power Back" - Rage Against The Machine (Bass test - Bass guitar)
The moment that bass guitar comes on, you know you're in heaven. The bass string being plucked makes you really wanna air guitar badly. The plucking is so crisp that you feel you can see Tim Commerford's fingers going over those strings and delivering the goods.

There's really evidence that the INT has a wider soundstage compared to the V2 in this track. The left and right seem to be more expanded, giving a wider sound to the vocals, and giving the vocalists more space to breathe and the listener more of a chance to pick up the vocals on all sides.

All in all this is my assessment:

I love the Continental V2. Its been a great partner to the FitEar To Go 334s. But clearly the Intruder stumps it in every way. Kudos to Ray Samuels for delivering a great amp for Headphones and sensitive IEMs alike.

Hope this little comparison test helps, fellow head-fiers!

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #1,766 of 4,896
Quote:
Is there such a thing?

It's part of my sig and I'll say it on thread

The only thing that's truly neutral in this world is Sweden

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,767 of 4,896
Quote:
Spent some time with the FitEar To Go! 334 with 000 cables on the Continental V2 vs. The Intruder

Source and cables used:
iPod Classic 7g
ALO 18 SXC Interconnect

ALO Audio The Continental V2 (V2):

1. Before the music:
The first thing I notice (after having spent so much time with the Continental V2 and the FitEar To Go! 334) is a teeny tiny bit of background hiss. Some cannot or do not hear it but I honestly, true to God, hear that teeny tiny bit of hiss. Its not as bad/prominent as the hiss on the ALO Rx Mk3-B but there is one. Please note the V2 is set to low gain at this point in time and I have not turned the volume knob in any way. Also note the V2 is a tube amp so it takes a few minutes upon turning it on before it actually starts delivering sonics to your ears.

Now for the fun part:

2. The Music:
I'm going to be using my 30-track test playlist for this one, here we go:

I love this track for testing instrument separation, which is a big factor for me. Being the first track on the list, I crank up a bit of the volume and notice one big thing (for me anyway). There's a bit of channel imbalance before the volume hits 1/10th of the knob's turning point. The right earphone is much much louder than the left. Now the 334s are a really sensitive IEM and so its really obvious for me. Good thing "normal listening level" for me is in between 1/10 and 1/5th of the knob, but I still notice the imbalance at lower levels (this is LOW GAIN!)

There is definitely a bit of warmth on the track as it plays, making the drums feel a little "fat" and the band seems to be set in one straight line, making the soundstage a little 2d, but that's not much of a problem for me.

Great track and the instrumental at the beginning helps determine how good brass and piano will sound on your 'phones. I absolutely love the way the instruments are presented on the V2 on this track. Very warm, very jazzy.

This track is great for testing all kinds of boom boom bass since there's a sharp bass in the background and electronic bass thumping right at you through the song. Unfortunately the sharp bass isn't rendered too well on the V2 so it loses some of its boom boom bassness.

I absolutely love hearing bass guitars in my music and the bass on this track is one of the best I've ever heard. But I have to note, the V2 is a little "weak" on bass, not very convincing right now...

This track has a great intro to test vocals on, and for the most part the V2 delivers, but some of the finer vocal points get lost in the background (e.g. high vocals in the intro gets covered by the other voices).

I'd add more impressions of the V2 but this will suffice for a start.

Switching off to:

Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline The Intruder (INT)

1. Before the Music:
One thing to note with the Intruder compared to the V2 is that the INT is smaller in every way to the V2. It is much thinner and shorter than the V2. Upon plugging in the TG334s to the INT, the first thing I notice is there is no background hiss at all total blackness. Setting the balanced audio output of the Intruder to Mid gain gives the background a bit of hiss, noticeably louder than the V2 at low gain but who'd listen to sensitive IEMs at mid gain???

2. The Music:

No imbalance as I crank up the volume. At low gain the volume knob is also in between 1/10 and 1/5th on the volume knob. Still no hiss.

First thing I notice with the start of the track is how separated the guitar feels from the drums. The drummer sounds like he's a bit behind you while the guitarist is right beside you. Instruments are really well separated on this bad boy. Drums sound nice and crisp along with the cymbals being just a little laid back.

I really love this track, and the INT truly shines with it as well. The instruments sound crisper, and much more engaging. Vocals on the track are really good and don't overpower the instruments.

The bass really punches now, from the little bassy taps at the left earphone to the boom boom deep bass in the main track, I love the feeling as the track really gets you pumped on this amp.

The moment that bass guitar comes on, you know you're in heaven. The bass string being plucked makes you really wanna air guitar badly. The plucking is so crisp that you feel you can see Tim Commerford's fingers going over those strings and delivering the goods.

There's really evidence that the INT has a wider soundstage compared to the V2 in this track. The left and right seem to be more expanded, giving a wider sound to the vocals, and giving the vocalists more space to breathe and the listener more of a chance to pick up the vocals on all sides.

All in all this is my assessment:

I love the Continental V2. Its been a great partner to the FitEar To Go 334s. But clearly the Intruder stumps it in every way. Kudos to Ray Samuels for delivering a great amp for Headphones and sensitive IEMs alike.

Hope this little comparison test helps, fellow head-fiers!

Very nice thanks for sharing. Out of the equipment you have which we share are the 334s and iPod 7g however I read enthusiastically. I also took note of your test tracks and we will share having  
those to!   
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #1,768 of 4,896

Source and cables used:
iPod Classic 7g
ALO 18 SXC Interconnect

Thanks a lot for that ZERO, great writeup. Would you say the Intruder fares better than the rx mk3 b also, again on the 334's.?

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,770 of 4,896
Source and cables used:
iPod Classic 7g
ALO 18 SXC Interconnect
Thanks a lot for that ZERO, great writeup. Would you say the Intruder fares better than the rx mk3 b also, again on the 334's.?

Yes, I think so, the MK3 has too much of an obvious hiss and listening to a quiet track makes the hiss really obvious (and annoying for me).

Very nice thanks for sharing. Out of the equipment you have which we share are the 334s and iPod 7g however I read enthusiastically. I also took note of your test tracks and we will share having  
those to!   :beerchug:

Thanks! :) and yes we shall, we should make a thread on testing each other's Test tracks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back