First Time Buying A Pair of Good Headphones
May 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dekker

New Head-Fier
So I have never owned a "good" pair of headphones before and finally decided that I would go for some. I've browsed the site and the buying guide but i'm haveing a hard time finding any prices that match Canadian prices well. So can anyone suggest me some headphones in the 120-150$CAN Range? They will be primarially be used to personal music listening either from my comp or ipod.

All help is greatly appreciated.

May 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 8
I like my ATH-M50 a lot for that price range.

May 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 8
The Sennheiser HD-595 is the same price at Amazon - they ship to Canada right? 

I was doing a lot of research for what can's I wanted - and those would have been the ones if I went with open air ones, but since I'll be using them at work and around other folks a lot, I decided on the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-ohm - which are around $180 U.S. 

If I could, I think I'd go with the Fischer Audio FA-003 (about $180 US as well) for my closed can choice, but they seem super hard to get and always out of stock on the few sites that sell them.

I found the Buying Guide here at Head-Fi a HUGE help in finding what headphones I wanted.  Depending on the 'phones you choose, you may need an amp, which depending on the type you get will be $20-$200+.  I will be using the Fiio e7 with whatever pair I get, it looks good for being portable, as well as being a good DAC for computer use.

Here's a currency converter to help you in your search aswell.

May 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Try the Shure SRH440's. 

May 9, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Try the Shure SRH440's. 

for closed headphones, the Shure SRH440s are pretty nice, if a bit heavy and uncomfortable.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/shure-professional-headphones-srh440/10128933.aspx?path=32cf7eee12b8f5208b0454cb0e24ecc0en02

if you can use open headphones, i'd recommend Sennheisers. i have the HD 555s and they are light-weight, super comfy and good-sounding.

May 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for all of the replies, they have helped greatly. I think I may go with a pair of M50's but does anyone know a retailer that ships to Canada? I've tried amazon but Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back