Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

Rated #11 in Over-Ear

Pros: Great tonal balance, imaging and isolation

Cons: Inefficient, slight bass emphasis, very long break-in required

Directly compared:
Sony MDR-7509HD (my last headphones)
Sure SRH840
Sennheiser HD380 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
- Show quoted text -

Tonal accuracy is very good. I am using as a reference my home theater with Sunfire XT ribbon hybrids and Bag End professional mastering subwoofers. The all important mid-high region is spot on. Bass is slightly emphasized, true, but the degree is exaggerated IMO.

Transients are very good, bordering on excellent.

Imaging is very good, bordering on excellent. Bettered by semi-open and open headphones, but they have their own drawbacks.

Comfort is very good - one can adjust the spring tension to one's preference - very nice feature.

Isolation is Good to Very Good - a bit above mid-pack. I haven't seen a variation in this aspect amongst closed backs, excluding super high isolation special purpose cans.

Main drawback is load/efficiency. In my experience these can not be adequately be driven by either a laptop sound card or by an MP3 player, even the powerhouse Cowon D2. I have a Turtle Beach USB DAC/amp at work, and a Total Airhead for travel. Without amplification, sound suffers substantially.

Note that if you are listening to these without a few hundred hours use on the phones, you aren't getting the full sound quality. Over time, I found that the bass became less prominent, mids/highs smoother, and imaging improved substantially. These phones have one of the longest break-in periods of any audio product I have ever owned.

I can and do listen to these all day long at work and on the plane. Very non-fatiguing, highly recommended.

Pros: Fun Bass

Cons: Mids? What mids?

A bass lover's phone for sure.  Can be fun with the right music.  But the bass is of the one-note "whump" variety and that gets boring.  Still, can be good with rock.  I've noticed some pretty sucked out mids, though, so vocals suffer.  And for a bass-head phone, the highs can get pretty brittle.  Not at all a balanced presentation, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.  Everyone should give these a try.  And they're built like a tank.

Pros: Bass, durability, comfort

Cons: Rattling/distorting drivers

These headphones are my first pair of high-end (probably mid-fi to some) cans and after a year or two of use, I have mixed feelings about them. When I first got them, of course they were a HUGE step up and I loved the bass from them, they were the perfect headphones to me. I was hearing sounds I had never heard before in music, hearing imperfections and low-quality sounds as well. However, one thing I've learned on this site and in time with various equipment, terms like "quality" are largely based upon a users' prior experience with other products. I went from some really terrible $20 and $30 over the ear headphones that were just "ok". The jump to these cans was tremendous.

However, after learning more and being able to nit-pick "quality", I think there's quite a bit of room for improvement. A few things in this area would be sibilance (I think it's called) where the higher sss sounds, sound like they were encoded at 64kbps or something. While this isn't hugely noticeable, it can get annoying if you really listen for it. Another thing would be driver distortion, sometimes the driver can get contaminates on it which can ruin the lower frequencies. From reviews and posts though, there almost seems to be a defect in some drivers where no matter how much people clean, it never goes away. I find that usually, for me, cleaning does help. Typically some low-strength tape works such as painters tape, getting around the black foam and whatnot.

While there are those downsides, I still fully enjoy these cans. I'm happy with what I paid and how much use I've gotten out of them and will still continue to get out of them. I don't know that I would recommend them to a mid-fi user but someone that is just beginning to get into quality audio and likes gaming or movies, this is an excellent pair of headphones. There are also plenty of mods to these cans to help improve the quality and if you really like the style but want something better, there's the DT880 or DT990 models that are more expensive but you do get more.

Pros: closed circumaural design, 80ohm design allows use on portables in a pinch, very comfortable

Cons: Eardrum-piercing sibilance prior to break in completion, break in is quite long

I'll preface my review with that I am not a seasoned audiophile, so I don't know all of the jargon, but I do appreciate good sound, and I like what I hear in these.   They are by far the best sounding headphones I have ever listened to.

Granted my collection of headphones is very limited.

I was looking for a closed circumaural design, primarily because I find circumaural cans to be the most comfortable, and I like the isolating effect of closed designs (less sound out to annoy others, less noise in to annoy me).

These headphones work very well in that regard.  I have occasionally even flown with them. Who needs active noise canceling, when these work as well as they do?  Though while flying, a portable dedicated headphone amp definitely helps.

The biggest negative with these is the break-in.  I almost returned the headphones when I first got them as I found the highs PAINFUL and piercing.  at first break-in didn't seem to help, but as a "hail Mary" I left them on for a couple of weeks playing music I enjoy and it did the trick.

These headphones are not neutral monitors for sure.  at the same time, I feel like their reputation for being overly bassy is a little undeserved.  often when listening to music I feel like using an equalizer to up the bass a bit.   That being said, I listen to a lot of 80s stuff where the bass isn't very prominent in the mix.

Overall, I feel like I got a set of great sounding headphones for a relatively low price.  I am happy with them.

If I knew what I know now when buying them, I may have opted for the 250ohm versions though.

Pros: Sound quality, Isolation, Soundstage, comfort

Cons: Siblance, floppy bass

I purchased this headphone after I returned the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

I was not satisfied with the soundstage of the sennheiser, plus after an hour of wearing them my ears started to feel bruised.

The DT770 Pro does not have these downsides, the only downside is the siblance.

In a song with a lot of S's or maybe hard t's the headphone starts to whistle. If the volume is cranked up it the whistle actually hurts my ears. Strangely enough this is not the case with all songs that have a lot of s's. Maybe it is not al the fault of the headphones, maybe the vocals are badly recorded, the singer could have used to much ssssss or the song wasn't mastered right.

I have a pair of mackie studio monitors and songs with too much S's sound slightly uncomfortable on these, but when I listen to that song through the headphones it's worse.

Use: I wear these headphones when I play the drums, because of the isolation the drums are much less harsh (it is placed in a very small room) and I don't have to crank up the volume too much.

Ofcourse I also use it for listening to music or any application with sound when I don't want to disturb my girlfriend.

The sound quality: Is good, it does have a lot of bass, but not too much and it is tight. I like the mids, and the highs are crisp but sometimes a bit harsh (siblance). The harshness of highs is something that is very common in closed headphones, probably because all of the sound is directed into the ear.

The soundstage is very wide, and has a lot of detail making it easy to hear different sounds/instruments.

Verdict: Probably one of the best headphones if not the best in that price range.

Pros: Bass quantity and range, comfort for extended listening, easy to drive

Cons: Recessed mids mean it's not the best choice for some. Earpads lose their shape after time.

The DT770 is a lower priced model of the Beyer line, but it is a boiled down version of the Beyer sound and one of the best values in closed headphones. While known for excellent bass response generally, you will also find them one of the most comfortable in the price range. The ear cups aren't as nice as the DT990 velour pads but they are comfortable. They do get sort of hot after wearing them for a long time. One other great thing about these headphones is how easy they are to drive. They drive well on every mobile mp3 player I tried as well as straight out of a sound card. For hip-hop, electronic, or movies I think this is one of the best headphones you can get for the price.

You may read about is the recessed mid-levels on this headphone. This is true, which is why this is not an excellent pick for rich instrumental or voice detail. Additionally, there can be some sort of irritating siblance going on at high frequencies, but this occurs with all closed-can headphones as far as I know to varying degrees.

Pros: comfortable, decently controlled bass, especially for the emphasis that it has

Cons: the upper midrange is all but absent, treble is a bit on the harsh side

I was lucky enough to find these headphones at a pawn shop, buried underneath a pile of beats/bose headphones, and boy am I glad I did.  I rated the value of these headphones based on their Amazon price (which I think is good), but for what I paid, the value is absolutely fantastic.

For potential buyers, I'll just point out what I hear, since one man's pro is another man's con.  These headphones have a good amount of bass, and is relatively well controlled.  The mids, especially upper mids, are very recessed.  The treble has a nice sparkle to it, but is a bit on the harsh side for certain music, and tends to get pretty sibilant in the female vocal range.  Basically, as many others have already noted, these headphones have a rather pronounced "V" curve to them.  They are still very fun to listen with, for certain music genres.  Rap, House, Dance, Metal fans should like this phone (Those are the genres I like them for, anyways).  Vocal, Jazz, Classical fans should probably look for a more balanced set.

Pros: Really tight and deep bass, very detailed highs without sounding harsh or becoming sibilant, built like a tank.

Cons: None really except for the fact that these could use detachable cables instead.

Words can't do it for me, i went from a cheap headphone like the JBL Tempo to DT 770s , it would be an understatement to say it was a night and day difference.

These are are really versatile, i listen to EDM, DNB and kinds of electronic music along with Metal, Hard Rock, JPop and these haven't let me down, i heard about these having recessed mids and are kinda bad for classical music, but doesn't really bother me as i don't even listen to classical.

Initially the Bass on these is a little over the top but still controlled, give em some time to get burned in and the bass gets tighter and the highs become more prominent.

All in all, if you are like me who wants a fun headphone which can give you all the bells and whistles while still being highly detailed then look no further, these are for you.

Ah almost forgot, these are also very very good for gaming, the soundstage is really wide despite these being closed cans.

Pros: Comfort, good detail for a closed headphone

Cons: Close sounding vocals, Sub bass maybe a bit too much for some, Undetachable cable, not very loud through phones

Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely noticeable.

Pros: Sound, Build Quality, Comfort

Cons: Non removable cable, Fairly tight clamping, cheap packaging

Hey All,

This is my first head-fi review and I am proud to say that these Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 are wonderful!  I currently own a pair of Bose QC2 and the ATH-M50x and wil be using those to compare.

The 770s are built tough, rugged plastic and mostly metal here.  The velour pads and headband seem sturdy enough and I have already seen you can buy replacements from Beyer for quite cheap.  The build on the M50x and QC2 are mainly plastic with the only real metal being in the headband.  They are still well built and nice looking though, nothing against them.

The Dt770s leak a bit more sound because of the velour im sure but both do a good job of blocking out noise with the edge going to the M50x here.

In terms of sound quality I am not sure if I know all the right terms to describe it, and I am still training my ears as I am new to the hi-fi world but I will give it a shot.

The DT770s have crisp, clear highs.  I can hear more minor detail through them in terms on hi-hats and clicks and whistles like that than on the M50x.  The simbalence (not sure if right term but the piercing notes) can be a little harsh if played loud but I have not been bothered.

The mids of the Dt770 are more forward and noticeable but compared to the M50x the detail seems to be similar just more recessed mids on the M50x to my ears. I really love listening to rock, indie/folk on them because of the more forward mids allowing me to hear guitar and vocals better.  The M50x mids are still very nice however and I am not bashing them.

The bass of the DT770 is great.  It extends very low and does not roll-off on the low sub bass which is great for when i listen to my dubstep like Skream.  It is punchy and impactful and does not seem to suffer from too much boominess.  The punch and impact seems a little stronger on my M50x but it is better controlled on my DT770s.  Either way, both are known for the bass they produce which is why I went with the 80ohm version over the 250ohm But I am very interested to hear how the 80 and 250 sound side by side now.

The comfort is great for the Dt770, I had some uncomfortable pressure on my left ear for the first week or so but now I can wear these for quite some time without having to adjust at all.  My M50x however I find much more uncomfortable for longer uses.  After about 30 mins I have to ajust the headband around as no matter what I do i cannot seem to get rid of the pressure.

I power both of these currently with the fiio e6 but I am soon upgrading the schiit magni/modi.

my sources are spotify premium and itunes but I cannot wait to start building a lossless collection of some sort

Overall I could not recommend these enough, I managed to find mine for $130 on cyber monday but if you can find these for about $200 I would go for it over the M50x because of the comfort and better mids.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones

The DT 770 Pro-80 Studio Headphones are closed back, diffuse-field headphones featuring bass reflex technology for improved bass response and clinically accurate high and mid-range reproduction. Rugged headband construction. Single-sided cable...

BindingElectronics
PublisherBeyerdynamic
StudioBeyerdynamic
TitleBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones
Batteries Included1

No one has edited this wiki yet - be the first! The headings below are just suggestions; feel free to make your own.

Related Media/Links:

Add related videos, links to item guides, etc.

Troubleshooting/Known Issues:

Had an issue other users should know about? Put it here.

How To:

Advice on installation, customization, and anything else.

Related Items and Accessories:

Not necessarily items within the community, just any other recommendations.