FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Aug 14, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #76 of 877

Quote:

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but how would you choose between using the uDAC-2's volume pot vs. your headphone amp's volume pot? I'm currently feeding the uDAC-2 to an M-Stage via the RCA out jacks. I originally thought that the uDAC-2's RCA output was straight line out, but I noticed that the volume knob does indeed change the RCA output volume.

Also, does anyone know which Sabre chip is being used in the uDAC-2? I've looked all over their website, but I can't seem to find the specs. Maybe I'm just missing an obvious link...

I'm sorry, but you already own a uDAC-2 and your asking someone else's opinion. I'd recommend that you try using your own ears. Try using it both ways and decide for yourself, it's your own opinion that matters.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #77 of 877
Quote:
nmurthy said:

Quote:

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but how would you choose between using the uDAC-2's volume pot vs. your headphone amp's volume pot? I'm currently feeding the uDAC-2 to an M-Stage via the RCA out jacks. I originally thought that the uDAC-2's RCA output was straight line out, but I noticed that the volume knob does indeed change the RCA output volume.

Also, does anyone know which Sabre chip is being used in the uDAC-2? I've looked all over their website, but I can't seem to find the specs. Maybe I'm just missing an obvious link...

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you already own a uDAC-2 and your asking someone else's opinion. I'd recommend that you try using your own ears. Try using it both ways and decide for yourself, it's your own opinion that matters.

Well you can't defeat the volume pot, so all you can do is play with the knobs. It really depends on what the input requirements of your M-stage amp are. Try the uDac at high noon at first, then make adjustments to both pots from there. This is a pet peeve of mine from the uDac1 that I wish they had addressed, that you can't defeat the volume control in RCA mode.

If you read through this thread, I believe there was a reference to the chip used somewhere...

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #78 of 877

Quote:
Quote:

I would first turn the M-stage volume to zero and turn up the uDAC to max.  Then with music playing I would turn up the M-stage to as loud as you would ever want to listen without hurting the gear or your ears.  Then I would leave the M-stage amp volume there without further messing with it, and turn down the volume with the uDAC and start using ONLY the uDAC volume control from that point forward.

Edit - Jasonl has posted here that the uDAC-2 does not use the ESS Sabre chip, as previously reported for the original uDAC.

EDIT - Jasonl has posted here 1/17/11 that it does in fact use the ESS Sabre 9022 chip as I previously reported.  Sorry.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #79 of 877

Quote:

Just curious how did uDAC-1 compare to Icon-1 in terms of just USB DAC and headphone amp?

The uDAC-1 RCA out had superior detail and soundstage to the DAC built into the Icon-1, but the headphone amp of the Icon-1 was slightly better with full size phones like HD600 or D2000.  So the best sound was from feeding the uDAC-1 into the Icon-1 analog input and listening through the Icon-1 headphone amp.  For my custom IEM like UE11Pro, JH13Pro or ES3X the uDAC-1  headphone amp sounded a little better than the Icon.  So far the uDAC-2 sounds better with all of these.

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #81 of 877

Quote:
I would first turn the M-stage volume to zero and turn up the uDAC to max.  Then with music playing I would turn up the M-stage to as loud as you would ever want to listen without hurting the gear or your ears.  Then I would leave the M-stage amp volume there without further messing with it, and turn down the volume with the uDAC and start using ONLY the uDAC volume control from that point forward.

The chip is a Sabre 9022, which was a new chip that they had bought all of the first production run last year.  It's posted in the original uDAC thread somewhere by Jasonl, but they told me what it was during development when I worked with them to reduce the hiss with IEM in the prototype. 

So the uDAC-2 uses the same DAC chip as the original uDAC?

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #82 of 877
Which has better sound quality with IEMs: an iPod (e.g. 160 GB iPod Classic) or a laptop + uDAC-2?

Thanks

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #84 of 877

The latter of the two, duh!

I thought so, just making sure :D Still, I'd love to hear more about the differences, as iPod DACs have a good reputation and powerful amplifiers aren't that important with IEMs.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #85 of 877
When in doubt, look at the price. 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #86 of 877

Quote:
So the uDAC-2 uses the same DAC chip as the original uDAC?

Same DAC in the end, but upgraded USB receiver chip that can accept 24/96 from the computer.

Quote:
Which has better sound quality with IEMs: an iPod (e.g. 160 GB iPod Classic) or a laptop + uDAC-2?

Thanks

laptop + uDAC-2

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #87 of 877
Just a question about UDAC2 buying.

I am a new buyer and have never bought UDAC / UDAC2 (for the matter any DAC/HP Amplifier). Have already bought HiFiMan RE0.

Now I have the option to buy UDAC as well as UDAC2. The UDAC2 costs nearly 45% more.

My question is, is it worth paying that much premium for the UDAC2 when I do understand that only the receiver chip is new and that I'll be using my Netbook as a source.

Since I am not finding many UDAC2 reviews online, I am kind of confused.

Any help will be appreciated.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #88 of 877
The udac2 only just came out. Reviews will be very scarce for a while yet.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #89 of 877
The following differences between uDAC2 and uDAC are listed on the product page on the website:

As a step beyond the successful uDAC, the uDAC-2 boasts a highly linear TOCOS volume control for improved channel tracking at low listening levels, in addition to 24bit/96kHz USB DAC and an improved headphone amp.

Quote:
Just a question about UDAC2 buying.

I am a new buyer and have never bought UDAC / UDAC2 (for the matter any DAC/HP Amplifier). Have already bought HiFiMan RE0.

Now I have the option to buy UDAC as well as UDAC2. The UDAC2 costs nearly 45% more.

My question is, is it worth paying that much premium for the UDAC2 when I do understand that only the receiver chip is new and that I'll be using my Netbook as a source.

Since I am not finding many UDAC2 reviews online, I am kind of confused.

Any help will be appreciated.

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #90 of 877

Quote:
The following differences between uDAC2 and uDAC are listed on the product page on the website:

As a step beyond the successful uDAC, the uDAC-2 boasts a highly linear TOCOS volume control for improved channel tracking at low listening levels, in addition to 24bit/96kHz USB DAC and an improved headphone amp.

I do not quite understand the technical jargon associated with DACs. However, I do not think I can extrapolate degree of perceived improvement over the original uDAC from such information. Nevertheless, I shall continue to look forward to this thread for incoming impressions. I am happy that the uDAC-2 has retained the form factor/enclosure of the original. I'd be happy to pick one up after a bit more feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back