FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NEW Nuforce uDAC-2 with 24/96 - USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Aug 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #107 of 877
My personal experience with the UDAC is not so exciting. I haven't received my RE-0s yet. Tried it with the Sennheiser CX500 and couldn't really get any kick. Probably it'll do some good with the RE-0s.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #108 of 877
Well, some are lucky I guess and I'm not one of them.

I've had some pretty good chats with Dustin being my favorite online store in Scandinavia. I will put some pressure there as well. 

Funny, I don't find the uDac-2 in your european online store..

Quote:
You Europeans know how to enjoy life, so many distributors are just coming back from the usual nationally imposed summer vacation :).
You should check with your dealer or distributor. Or just order it directly from our online store if you can't find it in your country.  We are trying to get our products into the retail chains in Europe, but it is a long process. I just heard that Nuforce is spreading fast through a chain of Apple resellers in Finland. In Sweden, you can find it at the biggest retail store Dustin. There are a lot of talk and meetings with resellers in other countries with our rep. It will take months before anything happen.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #109 of 877

We don't have an Eurpoean online store. There are some ex-dealers or existing dealers using nuforce for their domain names.
We have trade marked Nuforce across EU and eventually when we have time, we'll take over the domains.

Quote:
Well, some are lucky I guess and I'm not one of them.

I've had some pretty good chats with Dustin being my favorite online store in Scandinavia. I will put some pressure there as well. 

Funny, I don't find the uDac-2 in your european online store..

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #111 of 877

8/28/10 Update:  

I have been listening to my new Westone ES5 custom IEM a lot lately, and I'm pretty sure now that I prefer the uDAC-2 with them slightly more than my 24/96 DACport.  The uDAC-2 sounds slightly warmer and fuller or more complete than the DACport when driving the ES5, with a wonderful sense of transparency and space.  The ES5's performance via uDAC-2 is more engaging and involving than via DACport, or DACport/Pico DAC feeding the balanced Protector amp.  I know, I wasn't expecting that either.  The ES5 sound great with the other gear, but I just find the sound signature when paired with the uDAC-2 to be preferable.  The ALO Amphora is even better with the ES5, and it sounds pretty much the same whether I feed the Amphora from the uDAC-2 or with the Pico DAC-only.

Right now the uDAC-2 is connected to my Macbook Pro and feeding my Audioengine A2 speakers, and I can simply plug in the ES5 to shut off the speakers and listen via IEM.  Before when I was using the DACport I'd have to unplug the speakers from the headphone-out in order to connect my IEM, and if I forgot to turn down the speaker volume them I'd get blasted with noise as I pulled the plug.  The original uDAC RCA line-out didn't sound this good with the A2 speakers and I tended to use the DACport more, but now the uDAC-2 RCA out is almost as good driving the A2 as the DACport has been. 

Here is the cluttered mess when I'm reviewing stuff (taken with original uDAC a while ago):

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #112 of 877
interesting.  i wasnt a big fan playing my t50p directly from the uDAC2.   i guess its apples and oranges, but i like the t50p a ton better out of my pb1/db1 combo.   still love the size of the udac2 though.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #114 of 877
It's nice to see that the ES5 pairs well with the uDAC-2.

How would you compare the headphone out of the uDAC-2 against the HDP or the DACport in terms of sound quality and not power with something that is easily driven like a Grado HF-2?

When I had the uDAC-1, the tonality of the instruments,layering,spaciousness,the sense of air and separation were the biggest differences when comparing the headphone out of the uDAC-1 against the HDP using my RS1. Those differences were not subtle and were fairly obvious to me after much A-B. The uDAC-1 sounded rather two dimensional compared to the HDP.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #115 of 877

Quote:
It's nice to see that the ES5 pairs well with the uDAC-2.

How would you compare the headphone out of the uDAC-2 against the HDP or the DACport in terms of sound quality and not power with something that is easily driven like a Grado HF-2?

When I had the uDAC-1, the tonality of the instruments,layering,spaciousness,the sense of air and separation were the biggest differences when comparing the headphone out of the uDAC-1 against the HDP using my RS1. Those differences were not subtle and were fairly obvious to me after much A-B. The uDAC-1 sounded rather two dimensional compared to the HDP.

Like I said in my first post, or should have said, the new uDAC-2 comes closer to the balance, air and spaciousness, and detail of the HDP, but not quite.  However, it's close enough that if all I had was the uDAC-2 with my ES5 in particular then I could skip the HDP.  

With the HF-2 as well as my harder to drive HD600, HE-5 LE and LCD-2 I still prefer the HDP.  But, the performance of the uDAC-2 is clearly above the older uDAC-1 and bridges the gap nicely for only a few bucks more than the original.  If money was no object and I could only get one of these, I'd get the HDP.  But on a tight budget I can't highly recommend the uDAC-2 enough.  Even with 16/44 music I prefer it to the original uDAC, which I really did like.

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #119 of 877
Sep 1, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #120 of 877

Quote:
Anyone know where I can get one of these using paypal? Currently getting 5% cashback on anything purchased via Paypal. Aloaudio has them but crazy shipping prices

Send them an email asking them for an invoice from paypal. It shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back