Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival
Nov 23, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #181 of 245
Does anyone know if this DAC works with Samsung Galaxy S3 US version via USB OTG? Just switched from iPhone to Andriod, love the phone but the DAC sucks compared to iPhone so I'm looking for a DAC to stream spotify @ 320kb at work. TIA!

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #182 of 245
Does anyone know if this DAC works with Samsung Galaxy S3 US version via USB OTG? Just switched from iPhone to Andriod, love the phone but the DAC sucks compared to iPhone so I'm looking for a DAC to stream spotify @ 320kb at work. TIA!

You want a DAC with external power, not powered by your Galaxy S3, is that correct?

This DAC is rare so I don't think you'll find an answer, unless you look into the USB chip itself, or other devices using it, C-media CM102.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #183 of 245
I have received a new FP now and it works almost perfectly, there is still an imbalance at low volumes, but I will replace the potentiometer to something better in the future. 
tongue.gif

I had some luck when I returned the unit and had paid the wrong shipping price so it was almost twice as cheap.
It could cost me more when the unit got stuck in customs and they sent me a letter and wanted me to send in proof of what I paid. I wrote an email to them and said that the package they probably had was a warranty issue. I had not received a tracking number from it.box so I did not know it was the package that the customs had. I waited a few days for an email from customs and I got no response from them, but instead they sent the package to my post office and I did not have to pay any extra fees. 
wink_face.gif

If I had paid the correct fee for shipping to HK and fees at customs it had cost me an additional $58. If the same thing should happen again I would not send the unit back because it would cost too much.

I would also say that it.box are very good sellers and have a good service, I like to buy more things from him.

Now it's time to let the FP "burn in" for some days!  

Happy listening! 

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #184 of 245
Good to know man, just change the pot and issue solved, this guy is loosijpng buisness just because of some cheapo pots.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #188 of 245
Quote:
Hey glad that worked out for you..Larzza..I think it takes about a weeks worth of use for them to be fully on. But once it does it should sound great.

Thanks Dsnuts, I will run it for at least a week before I listen to it again, it sounded good the first time I listened to it to see if it was ok, so I look forward to listening when it is fully burn in.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #190 of 245
Aw man this thread went in some crazy directions with the addition of all these DACs :frowning2: I was just gonna buy a Phoenix DAC-02 for my computer speaker setup but now theres other ones @__@ The breeze looks legit. Man I don't even know.

For headphones I'm not running any that need to be Amped yet so I guess I can just settle with a breeze one for now yeah?

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #191 of 245
I will just say it. You guys with the Fire Phoenix. Do what it is you have to do to get this op amp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260948692896?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649    Seriously. This sound I am hearing after installing this. You guys think your stock Fire Phoenix sounds good stock..Lol. Worth every cent to open then replace op amp to LT1028.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #192 of 245
Quote:
I will just say it. You guys with the Fire Phoenix. Do what it is you have to do to get this op amp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260948692896?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649    Seriously. This sound I am hearing after installing this. You guys think your stock Fire Phoenix sounds good stock..Lol. Worth every cent to open then replace op amp to LT1028.

DO you got some measurements plz

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #194 of 245
Nope. You are just gonna have to trust me on this one. The only thing I measure is how much beer to pour into my frosty glass at nights.

LOL.

To headzone, apart from the .pdf sheets you can read at TI, AD, Linear, etc., op-amps are actually quite difficult to measure apart from the basics like oscillation and THD+N.  The real 'character' of them is in the time domain, how fast and exact (or inexact) the sine waves move at millions of times a second, so to speak.  Not very easy to see.

Kevii yeah you can try the Breeze, it looks like a good investment and the seller is friendly.  The Phoenix had a couple of lemons, not sure if it was only the quality of the volume dial or something more serious?  It is the better all-in-one unit for sure and you can tweak it a little like Dsnuts seems to have just done with a new chip.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #195 of 245
All I can say is. I can't stop listing to the Fire Phoenix. I can't believe how much this op amp maximizes the sound on the Fire Phoenix. The sound is stunning..The sound is nothing like what I payed for this unit. Not even close. That breeze unit may sound different with this chip however. This is now the best sounding DAC/AMP I have. Easily.

What was interesting was how that AD8273 changed the HA-Info unit with the AD1852 Dac chip. It went from a decent sound to an unbelievable one.. The Fire Phoenix with that dual amp chip. Steals the show but I was as equally impressed with the improvement on the Ha-Info.  So It worked out perfectly.

By the way I am going to send my HA-Info to Danny Bai. Who owns many higher end units to compare soon. That should be an interesting read. I will compare the Hifimediy to the dragonfly as well. 

And Kiteki you knew I was gonna get much better sound. You did mention to change out op amps to me almost immediately.  I should have done this sooner. If I am correct it looks like the only real difference in these cheaper units to a higher end one is the inclusion of some mediocre op amps. The difference between stock chip to this dual is drastic. I had a good clean sound before but now the sound is multidimensional stupid high end sounding. But you knew this before you gave me a link to try it out..Sneaky sneaky. I bought another one to send to my buddy who got the other Fire phoenix. He has to hear this sound now. $16 to get this sound from this. I would have payed much more if I would have known. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back