Fire Phoenix DAC-02 / the odac->o2 desktop rival
Dec 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #196 of 245
Originally Posted by LaRzZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks kiteki, I saw your discovery of the CM6631 USB to Coaxial Optical SPDIF I2S convertor in another thread and it looks interesting so probably I buy it next year.  
wink_face.gif

Happy listening girl!

Yes, I'm considering it too.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #197 of 245
4 weeks after getting the Fire-Pheonix 05 and replacing the stock op-amps. I am still getting random drops of sound which are replaced with static like noise followed by a click eminating from the FP 05. The click would repeat a few times then the sound will come back. The random drops of sound are really annoying. Anyone have any idea why the unit is doing this? BTW I am feeding it via Optical.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #198 of 245
Quote:
4 weeks after getting the Fire-Pheonix 05 and replacing the stock op-amps. I am still getting random drops of sound which are replaced with static like noise followed by a click eminating from the FP 05. The click would repeat a few times then the sound will come back. The random drops of sound are really annoying. Anyone have any idea why the unit is doing this? BTW I am feeding it via Optical.

one way to check is to replace your source with something else ... like a dvd player - most of them have optical outs.  connect the dvdp to your fp-05 via optical and play a standard music cd.  do you still experience the dropouts and noise?  if you do, then the issue is likely with the fp-05; if you don't, then you need to check your original source ... perhaps you need to optimize some settings for digital playback.

also check the condition/quality of your optical cable.

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #199 of 245
Thanks for the reply. I did try the different optical outs from my PC motherboard and my soundcard and both of them experience the dropouts. I also thought changing the cable would help but I did try various optical cables that have been working all the while so it looks like the FP-05 is the problem sigh... It really does makes the HE-500 and SA-31 sound livelier albeit a bit harsh and bright at times but details still there. It looks like I have to save up for that SA-1.32.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #204 of 245
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did try the different optical outs from my PC motherboard and my soundcard and both of them experience the dropouts. I also thought changing the cable would help but I did try various optical cables that have been working all the while so it looks like the FP-05 is the problem sigh... It really does makes the HE-500 and SA-31 sound livelier albeit a bit harsh and bright at times but details still there. It looks like I have to save up for that SA-1.32.

Just curious. Did you try the USB? 

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #205 of 245
Nope, the USB doesnt allow 24/96 or 24/192.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #206 of 245
Quote:
I will just say it. You guys with the Fire Phoenix. Do what it is you have to do to get this op amp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260948692896?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649    Seriously. This sound I am hearing after installing this. You guys think your stock Fire Phoenix sounds good stock..Lol. Worth every cent to open then replace op amp to LT1028.

Funny how this FP is using the same Op amp found in this cheapo $20.00 amp, Lepai Thripath.   http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI
Dont laugh guys, its cheapo but sounds very nice and i am using it for my TV with some Dayton Speakers.

So i am gonna order two pairs of this LT1028, one for the FP and one for the Lepai,  DS could you please take a picture to see how this doubl thing goes on the board?   what i need to see/understand is how this "double" goes on the board. i need to buy two pairs of these "doubles" op amps?  

one set/a pair of LT1028 replaces one oem opAmp???  For example, the Lepai uses 2 opamps, i need to buy 2 pairs of these LT1028?
Thanks

thanks

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #207 of 245
You'll find that op-amps come in

- monolithic (mono)
- dual (stereo)

You'll also find mono to dual converters.  The L1028 chip is mono, the JRC4556 is stereo, so in a stereo socket, you have to use a mono to dual converter for mono chips.

The LT1028 is an unusual chip, it's not very 'safe' like NE5532 which will sound fine in pretty much any circuit.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #208 of 245
Quote:
You'll find that op-amps come in

- monolithic (mono)
- dual (stereo)

You'll also find mono to dual converters.  The L1028 chip is mono, the JRC4556 is stereo, so in a stereo socket, you have to use a mono to dual converter for mono chips.

The LT1028 is an unusual chip, it's not very 'safe' like NE5532 which will sound fine in pretty much any circuit.

Thanks for the info man!   Tyring to learn more about all this stuff.
Yea, i am using that NE5532 on my Lepai,  so do you recomend trying that NE5532 on the FP?  any other Op-amps recomendend?

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #209 of 245

You see how I have the chip.. It takes more work to take off the hood of the Fire Phoenix than replacing the chip.. Save this photo on your desktop and you are golden. Just wiggle that stock chip out of the socket and then replace with the LT1028. Also. I would just get one for now as these chips are kinda tall meaning it didn't fit on my HA-Info dac/amp.  It fit the socket on that unit but I couldn't close the lid as it was sticking out too much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back