Finally! My Little Dot Mk IV SE / Beyer DT-990 (600 0hm) combo
Sep 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #17 of 29
furyagain,

as for the gain setting, there is no right or wrong setting.

however if you feel there is a need for a higher gain setting, and the amp allows, you have the choice. the Mk IV allows good choices.

I am using a 600 ohm phone and I set the setting to 10 (max). I suppose the answer to your question, you will have to set the gain setting according to match the phone used.

so why don't you try the various gain setting and have a good listen?

Taken from LD Mk IV manual

Switch 1 Position   Switch 2 Position     Gain Recommendation
OFF                                OFF                          10      Low impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones
ON                                 OFF                            5      Medium impedance/sensitivity
OFF                                ON                             4      Medium impedance/sensitivity
ON                                 ON                              3      High impedance and/or high sensitivity

Note: The gain settings also affect the pre-amplifier output.
These gain settings are recommendations only and there is no “correct” gain for any particular headphone.
You are encouraged to test each setting out with your headphone(s) to determine which setting sounds best
for you.

Quote:
one question about the gain setting...

I am still leaving it at 3 ( factory default)
should i bother changing it to higher???

what it suppose to do ??? ( sorry i am a noob)

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #18 of 29
Congratulations on what sounds like an awesome combination Tiramisu515, really great photos too! I just placed an order for the MK IV SE myself, along with a Little Dot DAC_I and HD 650. I can't wait for it all to arrive so I can start enjoying it.

I'm glad to hear you're liking the 990/600 with the MK IV, it was a difficult choice between those, the 880/600 and HD 650 for me. Although I'm starting out with the HD 650 I plan to try the Beyer's in the future.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #20 of 29

Hi jr41

'wow, that is great shopping. Envy you. In fact you won't go wrong with the combo you just made. It's personal preference.

Both senn and beyer sound quite differently, so it may not be a bad thing to own both cos each may be more suited for different type of music. In addition, depending on your mood or emotion, you may perfer listening to one and not the other. So good to have a senn and beyer if you ask me. The MK IV se will be able to drive either phones easily.

Hope to hear your impression here when your new toys asrrived. Keep us in tune.

Quote:
Congratulations on what sounds like an awesome combination Tiramisu515, really great photos too! I just placed an order for the MK IV SE myself, along with a Little Dot DAC_I and HD 650. I can't wait for it all to arrive so I can start enjoying it.

I'm glad to hear you're liking the 990/600 with the MK IV, it was a difficult choice between those, the 880/600 and HD 650 for me. Although I'm starting out with the HD 650 I plan to try the Beyer's in the future.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
mine was set to highest setting by David himself for my HD600 300ohm

That is sweet... Maybe we can all start a Little Dot Mk IV/SE appreciation thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 29
I was unable to find the thread in "full sized amps" section. Can you link me to the thread? Thanks

Edit: nvm, found it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back