Finally! My Little Dot Mk IV SE / Beyer DT-990 (600 0hm) combo
Aug 30, 2010 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Tiramisu515

Head-Fier
Dear Everyone, especially Little Dot/Beyer lovers,

Finally I got my LD Mk IV SE to pair with my Beyer DT-900 (ohm).

This combo was decided after much reading in this forum, some audition of headphones and amps and of course based on my budget.

The pair is brand new and I would have to take some time to burn them in... I think I will enjoy the burn in process to hear and to discover the sq development. I have set the gain level to high, 10.  

Hopefully, this pair will give me lots of listening pleasure as well as discovering head-fi music even more in the days, months and years to come. Who knows, I may try tube rolling sooner than I thought.

Before, I go and get this pair started and burning in, I like to thank you all for your write ups and reviews. I love reading them and I hope to be to contribute my very own one day too.

Now for the Gold volume knob for the Mk IV SE I saw somewhere is this forum....
bigsmile_face.gif

Regards

Tiramisu515

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 29
I was listening to one of my old audiophile CD album called Antiphone Blues, organ and saxophone playing together and I believe was recorded in the 70s under a swedish label "proprius"

Indeed, I was almost moved to tears. How wonderful the music sounded on the 990 driven my the SE.

I have not heard so much details, bass of the organ and sweetness of the saxphone. And I tell myself, the amp and phone are not really burn in yet... and I can't wait to burn in another 100 or 200 hrs to hear the full potential of this combo, especially the amp.

I know I have made the right choice of not going the 880 way, too neutral for my likng. The 990 put soul into the music and with the 600 ohm version, I know the SE can bring out the true quality of the beyer without question.

The music was full bodied, filled with aroma and valverty smooth. The SE with the better tubes, in this case the M8100 and 6H30PI makes alot of difference.

I am enjoying going through my audiophile CD collection now and listening to them like when I first bought them....some as far back as almost 20 years ago. .. and with a cup of freshly brewed coffee...

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 29
Congrats - I have been enjoying my Beyer DT990 (600ohm) for a while through my M-Stage - but wanted to add a nice OTL tube amp to really drive these and today ordered the LDMKIV as well. I'm a very happy Little Dot customer - currently with the I+ and previously with the MKIII. I have accumulated many compatible tubes so have a large stockpile awaiting the MKIV. When you get a chance - get a hold of some of the EF92/EF91 variants - smooth and really pleasing - my favorites (EF91 Mullard Blue Glass is my most favorite). I look forward to mine - hope you enjoy yours for many years to come! 

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 29
Tiramisu, what ohm rating is your DT990?

Also congrats on that good amp! It should pair incredibly well with those DT990's if they are the 250Ohm/600Ohm versions.

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 29
I am having a similar experience with a clone of the Little Dot IV and a pair of DT990/600 ohm. I like DT990/600 ohm on this clone of the Little Dot IV more than on my Bottlehead SEX. Note that the Little Dot IV is OTL, but the Bottlehead SEX amp uses output transformers.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 29

Hi Zombie_X

sorry for the late reply, I didn't realise there were some questions for me here.
smily_headphones1.gif

mine is the 600ohm. I was advised by the local agent of beyer in singapore to go for 600ohm. lower noise, better sq etc.
Quote:
Tiramisu, what ohm rating is your DT990?

Also congrats on that good amp! It should pair incredibly well with those DT990's if they are the 250Ohm/600Ohm versions.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 29

hi lescanard,

thanks for dropping by here. This is my first system and is only after some research. so, I am quite confident that this combo would at least provide me really decent hi end sound and I wouldn't go wrong with it.

Now, thinking of that LD DAC I. heehee

Quote:
Congrats - I have been enjoying my Beyer DT990 (600ohm) for a while through my M-Stage - but wanted to add a nice OTL tube amp to really drive these and today ordered the LDMKIV as well. I'm a very happy Little Dot customer - currently with the I+ and previously with the MKIII. I have accumulated many compatible tubes so have a large stockpile awaiting the MKIV. When you get a chance - get a hold of some of the EF92/EF91 variants - smooth and really pleasing - my favorites (EF91 Mullard Blue Glass is my most favorite). I look forward to mine - hope you enjoy yours for many years to come! 

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
I am having a similar experience with a clone of the Little Dot IV and a pair of DT990/600 ohm. I like DT990/600 ohm on this clone of the Little Dot IV more than on my Bottlehead SEX. Note that the Little Dot IV is OTL, but the Bottlehead SEX amp uses output transformers.

HI wwmhf,

smily_headphones1.gif
sorry I didn't really get you.. what you mean "clone" of the little dot IV?

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 29
yes, indeed, Penchum's. He got a few for his various LD amp. However the ones Parts Connexion supply now does not suit the LD amp anymore.The shaft hole is too shallow and the hex screw hole position is positioned too far end. I purchased one recently and just couldn't use it.

Sad....but my tubes glow for me

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 29
Please read the following posts:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499700/modding-the-hlly-mkiii-tube-amp#post_6745601
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496381/tube-options-on-a-clone-amp

Quote:
HI wwmhf,

" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> sorry I didn't really get you.. what you mean "clone" of the little dot IV?

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 29
one question about the gain setting...

I am still leaving it at 3 ( factory default)
should i bother changing it to higher???

what it suppose to do ??? ( sorry i am a noob)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back