Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Sep 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #47 of 206
OK I posted this in another forum but was told to use this one, see here is what I think is the worlds first review of the Heaven series headphones:

http://www.bestheadphones.com.au/index.php/reviews/headphone-reviews/item/88-final-audio-design-heaven-series-review

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #48 of 206
I was referring to the thread starter, not you. Anyway, thanks for the link, I think you're right it's the first review out there, with shigzeo's hopefully due to follow soon.

This is a short but nevertheless very interesting review. I haven't heard the cheaper model (A1/heaven A) but concur with what the reviewer says about the SB/heaven S. The e-Q7 are favourites of mine too and though IMO the difference isn't huge, I'm tempted to say that the SB surpass them in several ways.

Treble has both more presence and extension. Bass does indeed reach a bit lower, though when the reviewer states that it's the deepest sub-sonic bass output he's yet heard, I reckon he would be really floored by the fx700 or DDMs. Fit is deeper and easier than with the Ortofons and the SB's flat cable will probably appeal to more folks than the e-Q7's slightly stiff and microphonic cord. Having said that, the SB/heaven S are rapidly becoming personal favourites of mine. They retain the e-Q7's ultra-clear and transparent sound signature (that seems to be a trademark of moving armatures) and add some slight improvements here and there.

Don't get me wrong, in case you already have the e-Q7 I wouldn't recommend selling them for the SBs unless you have fit problems. The difference is not like day and night and if you have a Cowon DAP to pair with your Ortofons, all you have to do is turn on BBE Viva to get a good idea of what the FADs sound like. But in case you're in the market for either the e-Q7 or SB, as it stands I'd give a slight nod to the Final Audio SB/heaven S. 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #49 of 206
Quote:
yes, they use the same balanced air movement principles that they've used since the very first 1601 model and the bass presence from this single armature is big enough to be moving armature.

Quote:
^ It's been discussed in the FI-BA-SS thread that FAD's balanced air movement would be useless for traditional BAs because they are sealed. Therefore these IEMs have to be moving armatures.

BTW I met dfkt last Friday and let him try the SB, and from very short listening he seemed to like them more than the SS. But in his typical sceptical manner he immediately covered the vent holes at the back and announced that they would do nothing to the sound. Later at home I repeated the experiment and had to confirm his findings. Now that's somehow puzzling, because covering the vents on the SS noticably muffles the sound signature. Unless there's some additional vent on the SB that we might have overlooked (perhaps where the cord enters the housing) balanced air movement would be quite a claim for the SBs.

Quote:
Bottom line, so far I really like these, though it has to be said that they are not quite at eye level with the much more expensive FI-BA-SS. Detail resolution and overall refinement strike me as about the same as with the e-Q7 and compare to the SS model like PAL/NTSC to 720p.
smile_phones.gif

I'd like to further qualify my statement to avoid misleading fellow Head-Fiers. In the meantime I have my SS back and auditioned them side by side with the SB. Though this essentially confirmed what I was judging from memory then, that the SS are even more detailed and refined than the SB, it is not like PAL/NTSC to 720p. In fact the difference is rather slight and in no way worth the gigantic price difference between the two models. Just saying that, in order to put performance/price ratio in perspective.

(On the other hand, in some audiophile circles even a small difference might be perceived as PAL/NTSC to 720p
wink.gif
)

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #55 of 206
Is the subbass more extended than the EQ7? Those A1s are on my radar, but going to wait for the EQ5s and see how those turn out.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #56 of 206
Okay, today I went to a headphone store to have a listen of the SB, A1 and the E-Q7. I only had about 30 minutes to play with them, but I can give my impressions.

First things first, all I can say is wow. The final audio design models had everything I love in all the IEMs I have so far all rolled into one. The bass texture of the DDMs, the lushness and roundness of tone of the CK90Pro, the clarity and transparency of the MC5s and smoothness and delicacy of the RE0. Both models were definitely on the warmish side.

Shizego is absolutely spot on in his descriptions of the sound of how both models compare, as well as how they compare with the E-Q7. Actually, I hadn't heard the EQ-7 before now and I actually found the mids a little too forward on the E-Q7 - a little overbearing on some acoustic songs with already deep male vocals. The A1 sounded similar, but yes with better bass and treble extension - more neutral, and really just a sweet sound. The SB did have a bit more air to the sound, but I definitely found like Shigzeo that I was getting sibilance on the 'usual suspect' tracks that I use to test for it. It was a bit more than I could handle, and overall I preferred the sound of the A1's. The weight and comfort for both earphones was great, and I've now concluded that I must have pretty forgiving ears as I find even the DDMs and E-Q7's a great fit.

Unfortunately, Shigzeo is absolutely right about the dismal state of the strain relief on the A1 as well. I have not seen such a terrible strain relief on a headphone except the Cyclone PR1 Pro's, which trump the A1's by having no strain relief at all. The A1's thin cable and lack of proper strain relief really make me hesitate.

The dealer didn't have stock, otherwise I might have bought the A1's on the spot. (Australian pricing is really quite decent.) Now at least I have a little time to think about the cable and look at how warranty works with FAD. I'd also look out for the EQ-5's, though I wonder if they are a replacement for the Eq-7's or going to slot in below the 7's in terms of quality.

Anyway, if you treat your stuff really nicely, I can't hesitate to recommend the A1. Ericp, if you are following this - you'll like them. : )

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #58 of 206
I am following and thanks for your impressions @ a_recording. These intrigue me, but I'm not ready to plunk down another $300 or more on an IEM without selling something. So, how much does the A1 go for in the land down under? Which had more bass, the A1 or SB? I really loved the sound of the strings and drums on the e-Q7. How did those compare on the FADs? Thanks again.

Quote:
Okay, today I went to a headphone store to have a listen of the SB, A1 and the E-Q7. I only had about 30 minutes to play with them, but I can give my impressions.

First things first, all I can say is wow. The final audio design models had everything I love in all the IEMs I have so far all rolled into one. The bass texture of the DDMs, the lushness and roundness of tone of the CK90Pro, the clarity and transparency of the MC5s and smoothness and delicacy of the RE0. Both models were definitely on the warmish side.

Shizego is absolutely spot on in his descriptions of the sound of how both models compare, as well as how they compare with the E-Q7. Actually, I hadn't heard the EQ-7 before now and I actually found the mids a little too forward on the E-Q7 - a little overbearing on some acoustic songs with already deep male vocals. The A1 sounded similar, but yes with better bass and treble extension - more neutral, and really just a sweet sound. The SB did have a bit more air to the sound, but I definitely found like Shigzeo that I was getting sibilance on the 'usual suspect' tracks that I use to test for it. It was a bit more than I could handle, and overall I preferred the sound of the A1's. The weight and comfort for both earphones was great, and I've now concluded that I must have pretty forgiving ears as I find even the DDMs and E-Q7's a great fit.

Unfortunately, Shigzeo is absolutely right about the dismal state of the strain relief on the A1 as well. I have not seen such a terrible strain relief on a headphone except the Cyclone PR1 Pro's, which trump the A1's by having no strain relief at all. The A1's thin cable and lack of proper strain relief really make me hesitate.

The dealer didn't have stock, otherwise I might have bought the A1's on the spot. (Australian pricing is really quite decent.) Now at least I have a little time to think about the cable and look at how warranty works with FAD. I'd also look out for the EQ-5's, though I wonder if they are a replacement for the Eq-7's or going to slot in below the 7's in terms of quality.

Anyway, if you treat your stuff really nicely, I can't hesitate to recommend the A1. Ericp, if you are following this - you'll like them. : )

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #60 of 206
@ericp The A1 in Australia (from Wicked Digital) actually goes for more or less the Musica Acoustics pricing  - I've been speaking with MA and Dmitri (who seems like an awesome guy) says they are actually working together as far as the FAD line goes. So a bit more than $300.

I didn't get a chance to listen to as many tracks in my 30 minutes, so I'm afraid I can't really give my impressions on specific instruments. Suffice to say the one track I used on all three, Another Saturday (an acoustic guitar track that I have in my MC3 review), the EQ-7's seemed too forward - the vocals were a little overbearing, the SB and A1 models had a delicious timbre to the guitar. This was very similar in a way to how the DDM's approached the sound, only with more forward mids (overall they sounded lusher without being too overbearing) so that the vocals sounded more full than the slightly diffuse DDM presentation. The treble was just delicate, sweet and clear.

I'm afraid I can't really say which had more bass, the SB or A1's. Both had an amount I was very happy with, and really the only difference I could hear was that the SB was a bit more aggressive in the treble. Again, maybe if I had them for longer I could give a better impression.

Actually if no one told me they were moving armature I would have just assumed they were dynamic, but without the slightly diffuse sound that most dynamics have. (Except for the MC5, which conversely apparently sounds like a BA.)

@skies Gee I'm sorry haha. This is the evil of Head Fi. I mean, trust Shizego's review more than mine, since he had more time with them. All I can say is that they were really sweet. I was considering the DBA-02's but then I thought I'd just miss the timbre of the DDMs.

I really, really, really wish the strain relief wasn't so frightening though. I'm not bad with my headphones, but I don't carry them around in a case either - I just hang them off my neck. I have to pop them in and out of my ears too often to keep them in a case. Even with one year of warranty, I'd suspect that something will go wrong after that first year. I have to wonder though, will I really listen to the same set of earphones for longer than a year? The evil of Head Fi indeed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back