Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Sep 10, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 206
Quote:
The A1 and SB models are in line with other competitor's prices, but still come out at the 'expensive' end for single balanced armatures.

Well, here's something interesting, both new models feature FAD's balancing air movement technology (same as the SS model), which suggests that they are in fact moving armatures.

Moreover, here's a FR-comparison to the $1000+ FI-BA-SS model that does look very very similar. Perhaps they're not that 'expensive' after all.

I'm really looking forward to how they compare in a real world A/B audition...
smile_phones.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #18 of 206
yes, they use the same balanced air movement principles that they've used since the very first 1601 model and the bass presence from this single armature is big enough to be moving armature. Are you going to buy them too, James? Someday, if I ever move to the continent, perhaps we can compare notes over tea! I don't agree with the assessment that the thing has to be 20 000¥¨. But then again, my assessment of audio isn't on a price/performance basis. 

I feel that this is the better or the equal with an easier treble than the Ortofon eQ7.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 206
^ It's been discussed in the FI-BA-SS thread that FAD's balanced air movement would be useless for traditional BAs because they are sealed. Therefore these IEMs have to be moving armatures.

And yes, I have already ordered the FI-BA-SB. Dimitri was lightning fast in his communication and a pleasure to deal with. I agree the phones aren't cheap, but AFAIK there are currently no cheap moving armature based IEMs on the market. I absolutely love the FI-BA-SS and if these turn out to sound similarly good they'd be cheap in comparison.

As for comparing notes over tea, it would be more likely over coffee or wine in Vienna, but of course I'd be delighted.
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #20 of 206

Quote:
^ It's been discussed in the FI-BA-SS thread that FAD's balanced air movement would be useless for traditional BAs because they are sealed. Therefore these IEMs have to be moving armatures.

And yes, I have already ordered the FI-BA-SB. Dimitri was lightning fast in his communication and a pleasure to deal with. I agree the phones aren't cheap, but AFAIK there are currently no cheap moving armature based IEMs on the market. I absolutely love the FI-BA-SS and if these turn out to sound similarly good they'd be cheap in comparison.

As for comparing notes over tea, it would be more likely over coffee or wine in Vienna, but of course I'd be delighted.
smile.gif

May I come and join you two, James444 and Shigzeo, for a cup of tea/coffee and "FAD gourmet delights please?
popcorn.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #22 of 206
Okay, here's an update. I spent about an hour with the SB (brass and expensive) version today with the following music: Nick Cave, Broken Social Scene, Madeleine Peyroux, and Jesse Cook. Eclecticism aside, I think I found the difference between the two housings. Many times, I've denounced plastic housing as it makes upper bass boom and echo, darkening everything, or killing the midrange. For metal, however, there is sometimes a strange treble echo. 

Now, having tried: Steel, Brass, and aluminium, I am almost ready to say that aluminium bests brass in the same housing. The A1 is not neutral, but it is overall easier to listen to than the SB brass version. But its cable is so below standard (thin, poorly relieved), that I would opt for the SB version. But, music like Broken Social Scene that has a lot of upper midrange/treble energy can get chaotic. It isn't sibiliant, but it is hot, perhaps too hot for that music. Jesse Cook is mostly fine, with just an accent on the upper end that isn't there with the A1 version.

Bass seems comparable so far. I've not gotten to trance with the SB version, but the A1 is very nice. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #23 of 206
^ Thanks for the update, my SS version is also treble hot which is great for classical and delicate genres, but slightly too much with more aggressive music. But they sound very impressive with the few trance records I have (M. Schulz, Sphongle, Oceanlab). From your impressions the A1 seems to be closer to the e-Q7 which has significantly less treble energy than my FI-BA-SS.

Oh, and concerning the latte, despite of Vienna being famous for cafés, it's actually not easy to find a good cup at a good price.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #24 of 206
Well, the SB model is excellent for classical and like the 1601 SS model, can put out some great resonance. I think it will appeal more to the CK100 crowd who like a little heat in the cymbals while the A1, still warm, but more laid back, will appeal en masse. Too bad the A1 doesn't share the same great cable as the SB... bugger.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #26 of 206
Some initial thoughts on the FI-BA-SB:

- Depending on one's POV these look either flashy or classy. Haven't decided yet.

- Very similar sound signature to the e-Q7 with a bit more treble energy and extension. Makes me think that these may be using the same drivers and just different tuning.

- Nice flat and non-microphonic cable, slightly stiff but the best cable I've seen so far on a FAD IEM.

- Hard to tell the left earpiece from the right. Imagine the following conversation between two (drunk) FAD designers. FAD1: Hehe, let's have some fun and engrave "*** you!' onto the strain reliefs! FAD2: No, that would be too obvious, let's just engrave the L and R markers really really small and impossible to read without a magnifier. Same fun, but much more subtle! FAD1: ROFLMAO, great idea! FAD2: Yeah, hehehehe!

- Fit is slightly deeper in my ear canal and more comfortable than with the Ortofons.

- Trying different tips: Stock tips give a lot of treble energy. UE silicons are slightly less energetic but fit only loosely onto the nozzle. Sony Hybrids fit perfectly, their narrow opening dampens treble and increases bass, overall slightly to much for my taste. Decided to trim the Hybrids' stem to about half length so they sit flush with the nozzle => best tip variant I've found so far, less treble energy than stock and nice punchy bass.

Bottom line, so far I really like these, though it has to be said that they are not quite at eye level with the much more expensive FI-BA-SS. Detail resolution and overall refinement strike me as about the same as with the e-Q7 and compare to the SS model like PAL/NTSC to 720p.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #30 of 206
Flat cables seems to be gaining popularity lately. I rarely saw them until the last year or so while a bunch of earphones have gotten flat cables. Sounds like you picked up yet another earphone that I would probably enjoy James
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back