Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Sep 15, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #31 of 206
^ I'm not especially fond of flat cables per se, but for FAD standards these are a step up from past annoyances. They don't tangle and are reasonably comfortable. I prefer twisted ones like on the SM3 or kevlar-coated like on the IE8 by a wide margin though.

Yesterday I've been using the FI-BA-SB while commuting, must say these are pretty good for on the move. The rounded housing helps to seal the ear canal (at least mine) and despite of them being vented they provide decent isolation.

They have a problem similar to the FI-BA-SS, that the tips tend to back out from the ear canal due to the housing's weight while walking or running, but nothing that can't be easily fixed. See my FI-BA-SS review for details.

I don't yet have my SS model back for detailed A/Bing, but judging from memory I think I might end up preferring these over the pricier SS ones for commuting. Cable, fit and isolation seem to be slightly better and their bass heavier sound signature with shortened Sony Hybrids is perfect for on the go. Moreover, one wouldn't notice the difference in resolution and refinement anyway in a noisy environment.

There's a slight coarseness to the highs, similar to what has been reported for the e-Q7 and noticable with cymbals, triangles and such, which again makes me think these may be using the same drivers. Like with the Ortofons this is by no means a deal breaker in my book, but the SS model is more refined in this regard.

All in all, the FI-BA-SB are the third single pole (moving) armature based IEMs I've been trying and I can't help but being mightily impressed by the sound quality of MAs, considering this is still very young technology.

P.S. @shigzeo you might want to change the thread title to FI-BA-xx instead of FA-BA-XX.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #35 of 206
You're welcome, glad to help a fellow in Huddler misery!
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #36 of 206
By the way, I have been sick for 3 days straight (yep, sick AGAIN), but hope to have my FAD FI-BA-SB and A1 review done by the weekend. Preview: SB: 5/5 KISS and A1 4/5 GRAB rating based on overall usability, but maybe a nod to the A1 for overall coherence of sound. 

Remember that sound is only ONE category I judge. Both are amazing, but the A1's fragile cable is very typically FAD. The SB, as you said James, is quite good. I wish they included a cinch with it, but it is the first flat cable design I actually like. Unlike Jays and Monster the cables aren't too wide as to become heavy and unmanageable. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 206
Just out of curiosity but the SB is more reasonably priced someone mentioned. Is that price like 300-400ish or reasonably priced compared to their most expensive model out there
tongue.gif
The SB sounds pretty tempting and better priced for me than the FI-BA-SS

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #38 of 206
^ My SBs were $389 + $15 EMS shipping from Musica Acoustics Japan. The A1 would have been about $300. Indeed more reasonably priced, considering they compete with the e-Q7.

They SS cost more than $1000 and as for performance/price the SB beat them by a wide margin.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #39 of 206

Quote:
By the way, I have been sick for 3 days straight (yep, sick AGAIN), but hope to have my FAD FI-BA-SB and A1 review done by the weekend. Preview: SB: 5/5 KISS and A1 4/5 GRAB rating based on overall usability, but maybe a nod to the A1 for overall coherence of sound. 

Remember that sound is only ONE category I judge. Both are amazing, but the A1's fragile cable is very typically FAD. The SB, as you said James, is quite good. I wish they included a cinch with it, but it is the first flat cable design I actually like. Unlike Jays and Monster the cables aren't too wide as to become heavy and unmanageable. 

Sorry to hear about your health problems, I hope all is well again now. Looking forward to your review, and yes the flat cable has shown itself to be quite convenient while out and about. I agree the SB are treble forward out of the box and with stock tips, but they sound beautiful and very coherent to my ears now with the Sony Hybrids, retaining the best of the e-Q7 and adding just a tad more treble and bass.

I'd love to do a more in-depth comparison with the Ortofons, but my weekend schedule doesn't look good.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 206
Unfortunately, my eQ7 is no longer in my hands. But I know very well that the eQ7 and the SB's main difference is as you say in bass and treble presence, but also: the cable of the Ortofon is horrible for out and about - much too microphonic. Both are excellent sounding earphones, however.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #42 of 206
The 1601 SS (never heard the SB) is an amazing earphone, it just needs to be lifted in a couple of areas to make it perfect. When properly EQ'd, there is little reason (other than the horrid ergonomics - a HUGE reason) to use anything else. My Sony A828 and the 1601 are a perfect match - perfect (other than the Sony's hiss). What that monster headphone turns into is nothing but gold. While the new BA earphones don't retain the HUGE stage and amazing echo of the 1601, they do put on a much better cost/performance show, look great, and remain easy to use. 

While I love the 1601, the FI-BA earphones are overall better earphones. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #43 of 206

Quote:
The 1601 SS (never heard the SB) is an amazing earphone, it just needs to be lifted in a couple of areas to make it perfect. When properly EQ'd, there is little reason (other than the horrid ergonomics - a HUGE reason) to use anything else. My Sony A828 and the 1601 are a perfect match - perfect (other than the Sony's hiss). What that monster headphone turns into is nothing but gold. While the new BA earphones don't retain the HUGE stage and amazing echo of the 1601, they do put on a much better cost/performance show, look great, and remain easy to use. 

While I love the 1601, the FI-BA earphones are overall better earphones. 

I love my 1601SBs, but they are heavy (not good for falling asleep - they do fall out) and isolation could be better. I agree Sony + 1601 = goodness. They're not the most portable IEMs, but I wouldn't sell them.

The soundstage is gone? Hrm.

How would you say the new BA ones compare to say, the IE8 (which I no longer use at all), which had OK isolation (not great) and decent soundstage.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 206
Not 'gone' but there is no crazy angel singing echo that you get with the 1601 and the out of the head wound of course isn't the same. It is good for an inner earphone, but not nearly as good as the 1601 that truly amazed me.

I am not a good one to ask about the IE8. I never could like it no matter how many hundreds of hours it had. I could never get past the plastic echo with trance and other hard hitting music. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #45 of 206

Quote:
Not 'gone' but there is no crazy angel singing echo that you get with the 1601 and the out of the head wound of course isn't the same. It is good for an inner earphone, but not nearly as good as the 1601 that truly amazed me.

I am not a good one to ask about the IE8. I never could like it no matter how many hundreds of hours it had. I could never get past the plastic echo with trance and other hard hitting music. 

Hmm, I don't know if the 1601 is for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back