Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Oct 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #61 of 206

Quote:
I'm really tempted by the A1's. I'm even willing to go over my budget of $200 for these.

Haha Dregur yes I recommended you the DDM's from that other thread right? I'd also really recommend these if you had the budget for them. Either that or wait until the Eq-5's come out. If they are as good, with a better cable and a cheaper price, you might not have to stretch your budget that far after all.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #62 of 206
I had a chance to listen to both the Ortofons and the A1s today, and I'm a little surprised they're being considered together here. Actually, I went to the store today really hoping that I would fall in love with the A1s. I haven't had any experiences yet where I thought a pair of headphones were "the ones", and I thought it might happen this time at that price point (approx. US$215 new).

Unfortunately, there was barely any sound isolation in the Final Audios when compared with the Ortofons (which I've been considering at about the same price, used). I'm not disparaging the sound quality on the A1s; they sounded great. Plus the look is classic, if you care about that kind of thing. But I wouldn't think they'd be ideal for use during commutes. I suppose they might be more isolating with Comply tips, but they seemed designed to be more open.

The A1s felt great in my ears too. Although they're actually heavier, they reminded me a lot of the lighter Audio Technicas. I would be more likely to compare them to the CK10s than the Ortofons, but I'm sure my ears are much less sensitive than those of you regular testers.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #63 of 206
Okay, after a great discussion with the owner of Musica Acoustics (who turns out to be a real gentleman) in which I was assured that I would be covered for any warranty issues and that so far there have been no real complaints in the Japanese market, I decided to take the plunge and order the A1's. I'll give my impressions when they arrive, which I can't wait for. =D

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #64 of 206
Neither the SB nor A1 isolate as much as the ortofon do of course, but they isolate a good 3-5dB more than other open designs and I found them perfectly fine (with the right fit) for commuting across town on trains, buses, or walking about. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #65 of 206
Now that I've ordered them, it might be a bit late - but shizego, how do you feel the A1's compare to the DDM's or SM3's? Your review of the A1's seemed more positive (you used that word - perfect - after all), but your reviews of the DDM's and SM3's were much longer and used many more fancy words. So I'm curious hehe...

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #66 of 206
I am still considering the heaven a despite wanting more isolation, particularly since I've found some really cheap used (and given the release date, it's clear they're very lightly used). I'm finding it hard to ignore the sound quality and the comfort. They really left an impression on me, and I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions.

There have been some less-than-glowing reviews in Japanese (at coneco) about the range of the bass, claiming that there's no recognizable sound below 125 hertz. I'm not sure how much credence to place in those, as if true that would be a big mistake on Final Audio's part.

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #67 of 206
^ erm... I sure hope that is not true, or else I have just spent 300 dollars on something that will give me all kinds of anguish. Was that just the report of one reviewer (perhaps a source issue) or multiple reviews?

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #68 of 206
Maybe what I wrote was misleading. From what I can tell, it's a guy (just one) who has some sort of a set wav file that he uses to test earphones, and so it's not specifically saying that there is no sound below that point, but that he couldn't detect any using his standard wav file. In other words, he's not saying that there won't be any sound no matter what's played, but that the level of bass is low when compared with how other earphones react to the same wav file. He suggests that they are suited for jazz and classical music, but not metal.

You can see that there is relatively low input below 1K in his screenshots here (the lower graph is a pair of stock iPod buds): http://club.coneco.net/ImgPopUp.aspx?pd=541&rd=41222&ps=1 . At any rate, it's useful for showing that they don't tend towards the flat, but actually accentuate some treble regions. There aren't many reviews out for these in Japanese yet, but there isn't anyone who has really disagreed with his conclusions so far. There was one commenter who said that it was easy to hear a pipe organ below 80Hz with the heaven a. That same commenter agreed that there is a valley between 70Hz and 1.5kHz, but didn't think that was a bad thing.

Just reporting, not making any claims of my own. My ears are amateurs; I didn't feel as much bass as on many other phones, but I suppose part of that is how the design is more open.

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #70 of 206
Hmm I didn't get to test anything with bass in sub-bass regions in my brief time with the A1's. I guess I'll see when I get them this week. The sound was certainly richer than something like the MC5 or RE0 for me, so I'll have to sit tight and see...

*EDIT*

Okay, did this guy test this by holding the IEM's up to a microphone and playing a frequency sweep? (From what I can tell in the google translation.) Because this seems like a terrible way to measure this, considering you would need a seal to get any bass at all. It may be that some people are finding it difficult to get a seal because of the wide nozzle... (I hope for my sake that is true.)

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #71 of 206
Hey to all,

I'm relatively new to the idea of supreme sound.  As my Etymotic Er6i's died after 8 months of harsh treatment it is time to get some new ones.

I started researching the day before last and thought I'd struck it big in finding the UE TripleFi's...but after reading reviews an all too familiar tingle for perfection started its incessant itch, and so I kept searching.  3 solid days of learning later I've scraped the surface of a world of passion for musical perfection that I didn't know even existed.  

Tonight was my first true step on this newfound albeit expensive path (one of too many) and for some reason it feels more exciting than any spirited run on the gixxer.  Having found Dimitri at Musica Acoustics and reading some reviews on all of those seriously gorgeous bits of gear I've ordered a pair of the FAD FI-BA-A1's.  I thought about the SB's but I cannot justify more expense unless I know I will enjoy this new hobby to a level that they become worth it. 

I know I have an untrained ear so to speak, but even coming off a flat and clinically accurate Ety (I can recognise this even if it is regurgitating others comments - they disappointed me at first but I grew to love their clarity and precision) I really do hope the quality of these are as pronounced as in your review.  The cable worried me slightly but an assured free replacement from Dimitri in the first year gives me security.

Gotta say though, (it might be the lack of sleep) I'm still in an dreamy aural daze over spending $300+ on some tiny earphones...so yeah they'd better impress haha.

Much appreciated to forums like this for providing such a wealth of information.  I look forward to learning and honing my aural sense!!!

And God damn, if ears could drool in anticipation, mine would... 

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #72 of 206

Quote:
Haha Dregur yes I recommended you the DDM's from that other thread right? I'd also really recommend these if you had the budget for them. Either that or wait until the Eq-5's come out. If they are as good, with a better cable and a cheaper price, you might not have to stretch your budget that far after all.

I'm curious, since you own both of them, but could you make a short comparison between the two? I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them (yes, I know what I said in the other thread, I'm waffling, dang it!), but my brain hurts.

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #73 of 206

Quote:

I'm curious, since you own both of them, but could you make a short comparison between the two? I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them (yes, I know what I said in the other thread, I'm waffling, dang it!), but my brain hurts.

For sure I'll make a comparison once I receive the A1's.. should be some time in the next few days. =)

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #74 of 206
popcorn.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #75 of 206
I just want to say this: if you can get a good fit, the DDM can offer a more open experience, but overall enjoyment is easier with he A1 because it is an easy earphone to use.

When I say perfect, remember that I judge certain aspects in certain ways. There is no such thing as fhll metric perfection. You will never get perfect fit with perfect sound with perfect build. And even if one of those areas is damn good, it may not match your preferences.

Overall, I feel that the A1 is a better buy than the ortofon because it is better to wear outside unless you want the extra few decibels of isolation. Again, with good fit, the A1 is very good. And can isolate with the best semi-open earphones.

The DDM is the antithesis of utility, but then it was designed by japanese audiophiles. Dmitri has helped me understand a little about them, but I know enough: they hardly ever think of anything but sound. They don't care if the earphone is weak or useless outside bedause audiophiles must be very lazy creatures. That explains cables like the older nylon coated FAD and the ortofon.

The A1 comes close to perfect ergonomics for outside, but it should have a stonger cable, something like what audio technic a use in the ck10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back