Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Oct 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #91 of 206
SInce I've had some time with the A1's now, and it doesn't look like I'll have a real chance to write a full review, I can give some fuller impressions of the A1 here.

I would say that the A1 sounds about 75% like the DDM. That is, it has the same basic emphasis on its sound. Where the sound differs from the DDM is that instead of the DDM's dry politeness, the A1 sounds lusher and more wet - with more forward mids and a rounder tone to notes, like how the CK90Pro gives a roundness to electronic tones. There is no dip to be found in the treble so that female vocals end up sounding clear as opposed to diffuse, though treble roll off and detail are similar.

The A1's do not quite have as much bass extension or dynamic range as the DDM's - so while the A1 can have a huge impact with bass notes and substantially more than say, anything like the RE0, Etymotics or even the CK90Pro, it doesn't have the kind of delicacy and dynamics that make guitar plucking sound like it is happening right next to your ear as the DDM does. Overall timbre if you looked at how all instruments were produced though, is better than the DDM.

In terms of soundstaging and instrument seperation, the A1 does not have the at times eerie out of head sound stage that the DDM does (which may or may not be realistic.) It does however have better instrument separation within that soundstage, with a wonderful sense of placement in depth and stereo separation - I would say better than the DDM.

All round, I would say the A1 is a better sound, and while it doesn't have the sheer emotive power the DDM has on certain tracks, the A1 delivers everything with a really tasty sound. Yes, I would agree with shigzeo that the colourations and accents the A1 has are 'tasty', without being overdone.

I'm not surprised that the A1's are hard to find now - it seems any discussion at all on Head-Fi generates interest, and FAD as I understand is very small and inhouse production. While I have no idea what shaved aluminium is, I'm assuming its not too easy to produce. Now, if it was Apple aluminium, with the texture created by firing beads and water at the surface, that would be even more lovely...

EricP you might be interested to know, inspired by you I went ahead and bought "Kind Of Blue" at an album store which always seems to have it on sale. It's incredibly soothing, and I think I could get into Jazz heh. I can also see why you like the DDM's for this kind of music. Well I can say that the A1's sound just as nice, with actually a bit more clarity and tone to the bass, and with the brass instruments as standing out really clear (a big improvement over the DDM's) without being aggressive. The A1 is a bit more revealing of the background hiss of this recording as well. They are both great IEMs for this album though - a real relaxing kind of ambience.

As I've said, in all cases I find that brass instruments, violins, and electronic tones do best on the A1 in the same way that guitars and pianos are fantastic on the DDM.

Shigzeo, I listened to some of Broken Social Scene off youtube, and I love it. From your label of chaotic alternative, I was expecting a bit off the wall like Late of the Pier or something, but what I hear is like a more acoustic and melodic version of Boards of Canada with whispery indie vocals. I'm defintely adding this to the list of CD's I have to acquire. If you like this, I'm wondering if you like the other Canadian favourites, the Junior Boys, or the XX, or if you've checked out the new Sufjan Stevens album, Age of Adz. They aren't completely the same, but have a similar vibe. The A1's sound great for these as well =D

In terms of build, I've slowly gotten used to the thin cable, and I guess only time can tell its durability. The comfort and lightness makes it as comfortable to me as something like the easy to fit RE0, and isolation is a bit better than the DDM which makes it a much better option for out and about. Microphonics really are minimal.

If I had to describe the sound to someone who hadn't heard the DDMs, I would say the key words are: punchy, clean bass, sweet and smooth mids, and crystal treble - though not as airy as say something like the RE0 or the Ety. It's a tremendously easy to live with sound with no major shortcomings that will leave you wondering, "what if" all that often. If I could get an A1 with the DDM's absolute to 20hz bass extension with better dynamics, and outrageous treble extension, I would be ecstatic. For $300 dollars though I'm pretty sure I got what I paid for, except cable quality. 

I'm actually wondering how these do compare to a similarly priced SM3 though.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #92 of 206
Comments in another thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/448149/final-audio-earphones) that say the bass is comparable to the e-Q7 are starting to make me wonder whether I just didn't have a real seal the three times I used the heavens. I don't want to make anyone have second thoughts about getting these if the problem is my own inability to get a seal.

Or it could be more wishful thinking since I wanted the heavens to be The Ones. Especially since they are about $80 cheaper than the e-Q7.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #93 of 206

Quote:
Comments in another thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/448149/final-audio-earphones) that say the bass is comparable to the e-Q7 are starting to make me wonder whether I just didn't have a real seal the three times I used the heavens. I don't want to make anyone have second thoughts about getting these if the problem is my own inability to get a seal.

Or it could be more wishful thinking since I wanted the heavens to be The Ones. Especially since they are about $80 cheaper than the e-Q7.

Well, I just got my A1's, and they do have plenty of bass. And this is coming from someone with bass heavy headphones (IE8, Eterna, CKS70). The impact isn't there compared to those other headphones, but you can definitely hear it.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #94 of 206

Quote:
Well, I just got my A1's, and they do have plenty of bass. And this is coming from someone with bass heavy headphones (IE8, Eterna, CKS70). The impact isn't there compared to those other headphones, but you can definitely hear it.

How is the cable on the A1? Did you purchase from Authorized dealer who offers warranty in case the cable gets ripped?

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #95 of 206
Yeah, I just got mine today, and have been walking around my office listening to them all day. They are definitely different from most my other IEM's. I definitely noticed the lack of bass impact compared to the dynamics I own, but the mid range and clarity in all ranges is really a head above anything else I own or have really listened to before. The instrument separation is probably what's blowing my mind right now. I'm currently listening to Muse's "Starlight" and there's a part with a bass...stretchy...distortion thing that I have not really heard before in that type of placement, it's pretty amazing to hear something like that coming from the headphones.

Also,  the A1's handle Broken Social Scene alright (saw them live last Friday, always an incredibly show), but the decay seems...to be almost too good. It's hard to explain. It's almost like the music can't settle and leave layer upon layer on the soundscape. Again, it's hard to explain.

First impressions: Excellent. (Currently using Large Sony Hybrid tips, the tips that came with the IEM's were...lacking. Couldn't put my finger on it though.)

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #96 of 206

Quote:
How is the cable on the A1? Did you purchase from Authorized dealer who offers warranty in case the cable gets ripped?

I bought them from BeNippon...I don't know or think they are considered an Authorized dealer. The cable is very slight, even considered delicate. Something I noticed that I haven't read about before in any of these threads (might have missed it) is the wires below the y-split are two wires pasted together, instead of becoming one like most IEM's I've owned. I'm a little concerned about that aspect of the wires. They are not incredibly tangle prone (like the Klipsch Custom 3...god I hated that cable), but definitely no CKS70 tangle resistent wires. I've found most of my IEM's failed at the earbud, instead of the cable itself, but I'm a little worried about the wire right at the ear bud. I really don't like the stress relief wire the enters the aluminum, it seems a bit weak.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #97 of 206
Hey, nice to hear that you've got them!

You will definitely notice less of a bass impact going from your dynamics haha. But what you are saying in regards to the decay/speed, if you think that is slightly too fast (and I get what you mean, its like a slightly tacky feeling instead of a soaking timbre feeling) then you would not enjoy things like the CK90Pro, which is even more insanely fast actually. For a BA it seems to move a lot of air - you can definitely feel it.

As for the stock tips, they do lack something, and that's basically just warmth. I've gone back to using Sony hybrids again, which so far seem the best option - but I'm hoping to find the exact appropriate tips for them.

Two days ago, after listening to them for long enough, suddenly it just clicked and I decided I really liked them after all haha.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #98 of 206

Quote:
Hey, nice to hear that you've got them!

You will definitely notice less of a bass impact going from your dynamics haha. But what you are saying in regards to the decay/speed, if you think that is slightly too fast (and I get what you mean, its like a slightly tacky feeling instead of a soaking timbre feeling) then you would not enjoy things like the CK90Pro, which is even more insanely fast actually. For a BA it seems to move a lot of air - you can definitely feel it.

As for the stock tips, they do lack something, and that's basically just warmth. I've gone back to using Sony hybrids again, which so far seem the best option - but I'm hoping to find the exact appropriate tips for them.

Two days ago, after listening to them for long enough, suddenly it just clicked and I decided I really liked them after all haha.

Yeah, that sounds a bout right. There was a reason I stopped buying BA headphones was exactly that reason. The moving armatures in the FA-A1's seem to be a good compromise though. Keep me updated on what you find with the tips, I'm interested on what tips might improve the sound. I'm tempted to see if I can get a pair of the Monster "combo" tips people had mentioned on these forums.

Something for people that own these headphones is to check out a song from Delorean (Spanish dance...electronica...rock?) called "Apocalypse Night Fight" (or really, any of their songs). I swear this band is handmade for IEM's like these. Sounds absolutely amazing.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #99 of 206

Quote:

I bought them from BeNippon...I don't know or think they are considered an Authorized dealer. The cable is very slight, even considered delicate. Something I noticed that I haven't read about before in any of these threads (might have missed it) is the wires below the y-split are two wires pasted together, instead of becoming one like most IEM's I've owned. I'm a little concerned about that aspect of the wires. They are not incredibly tangle prone (like the Klipsch Custom 3...god I hated that cable), but definitely no CKS70 tangle resistent wires. I've found most of my IEM's failed at the earbud, instead of the cable itself, but I'm a little worried about the wire right at the ear bud. I really don't like the stress relief wire the enters the aluminum, it seems a bit weak.

What type of warranty does BeNippon offers in case you need A1 to be replaced due to failure? are they in Japan or in USA?

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #100 of 206
For what it's worth, Final Audio doesn't seem concerned about making us think their manufacturer's warranty is strong: "ケーブルに無理な力がかかるような状況下でおこった故障や断線は、保証期間内であっても、有償対応となりますのでご注意下さい。" (If the damage or failure is caused by your application of too much force to the cable, even if the product is under warranty, you will be charged for repairs.) Some sellers like Shimamusen extend the normal warranty to five years, but I don't know if they ship to locations outside of Japan.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #101 of 206

Quote:
For what it's worth, Final Audio doesn't seem concerned about making us think their manufacturer's warranty is strong: "ケーブルに無理な力がかかるような状況下でおこった故障や断線は、保証期間内であっても、有償対応となりますのでご注意下さい。" (If the damage or failure is caused by your application of too much force to the cable, even if the product is under warranty, you will be charged for repairs.) Some sellers like Shimamusen extend the normal warranty to five years, but I don't know if they ship to locations outside of Japan.

I inquired MusicaAcoustics (who is an authorized dealer of FAD and Radius Japan) I was told I will get covered in case of failure or damaged cable occurs. I assume if my earphones fail I will get it serviced through Musicacoustics free of charge. I am not sure BeNippon offers that kind of service or do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back