Final Audio's new FI-BA-SB and FI-BA-A1 balanced armature earphones
Oct 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #106 of 206

Quote:
I know thanks... I was planning on using BeNippon... but the page I linked to says 9,800 yen I think? that's $120 US. *confused*

Why don't you get it from Musicaacoustics.com?
This seller offers warranty support in case the cable failure or else you will end up paying more in the end..

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #107 of 206
The page linked doesn't say the FI-BA-SB is 9800 yen. It says that the FI-BA-SS is 90800 yen (over $1000) and points out the similarities between the heavens and the FI-BA-SS. 万 is the kanji for ten thousand.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #109 of 206
That makes my heart glad and my eyes happy to read @  a_recording buddy. I think you have in your possession the greatest jazz album ever recorded (and one of the best albums ever of any genre). 

Very very nice impressions on the A1. It has peaked my curiousity, although I must admit I'm a bit more interested in the SB, but not the extra money that comes with that interest...lol. I think I'm going to wait to around the holidays before I think about investing in a major universal iem (and that's if I sell some that I've already have). I am really thinking about going into a custom or having one of my three-armature drivers iems turned into customs. Lately I have found some bargain great sounding gems under $100 in the HJE900 and the Klipsch Custom 3. Thanks for the excellent review again @ a_recording!! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

EricP you might be interested to know, inspired by you I went ahead and bought "Kind Of Blue" at an album store which always seems to have it on sale. It's incredibly soothing, and I think I could get into Jazz heh. I can also see why you like the DDM's for this kind of music. Well I can say that the A1's sound just as nice, with actually a bit more clarity and tone to the bass, and with the brass instruments as standing out really clear (a big improvement over the DDM's) without being aggressive. The A1 is a bit more revealing of the background hiss of this recording as well. They are both great IEMs for this album though - a real relaxing kind of ambience.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #110 of 206

Quote:
Okay, today I went to a headphone store to have a listen of the SB, A1 and the E-Q7.

The dealer didn't have stock, otherwise I might have bought the A1's on the spot. (Australian pricing is really quite decent.) 

Are you kidding, in AU I only ever find scammer prices like this one http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=416

Which store are you using?  Please say it's in Melbourne ^^

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #111 of 206

Quote:

Are you kidding, in AU I only ever find scammer prices like this one http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=416

Which store are you using?  Please say it's in Melbourne ^^

Are you from AU?
I believe recording is talking about this place:
http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&manufacturer_id=85&Itemid=53

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #112 of 206

Quote:

Are you from AU?
I believe recording is talking about this place:
http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&manufacturer_id=85&Itemid=53

Yes I'm an aussie, actually european, in south-east asia right now though. =)

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #114 of 206

Quote:
Can someone please inform me what music like this sounds like on the A1's? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUQi3hV3eM0&fmt=18&t=2m50s

Will help in my decision, thanks. =)

Good old Japanese visual bands. As far as I can make out through the horrible youtube quality, the guitars sound great on this - crunchy and energetic and just all round fun, especially with the instrument separation. It's not tremendously fast or bassy, so it works pretty well on the A1's - a spacious sound and the electric guitars are the big stand out.

Or maybe I was just focused on the guitars... because I was focused on the guitarist. Heh heh.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #115 of 206
Bah sorry, but I just can't help but correct someone when they state "greatest jazz album ever recorded" making it sound like an absolute. "One of  the  best", maybe. "The best ever imo", perhaps. But "greatest jazz album ever recorded" period, sorry but nope I love this album too but I'll be making a huge mistake labeling it as such.  Albums like A Love Supreme, The Black Saint & Sinner Lady and Out to Lunch may touch people a lot more than A Kind of Blue and vise versa, that's the beauty of art. You pick and choose as a listener in an intimate matter, individual choices will never become the absolute outside of your spectrum thought.

As for the A1s presentation, based a_recording's description...I"m not surprised the A1s do a lot better on brass instruments than DDMs considering the latter's dip in the upper mids. The upper regions also seem to do better, but unfortunately from experience the price you pay is hiss on these older recordings. Jazz recordings like these do better with IEMs that are bass/mid focused, but the DDMs aren't without it's weaknesses.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #116 of 206
A_recording, that does sound very appealing heheh.... so they are indeed well suited for this kind of music.
Please, how is their speed, when challenged with electronic chaos?

INKS it's nice to hear your jazz thoughts, I know very little of jazz, I assume I should look those albums up hehe. :]
I noticed you are using an S:Flo2 and a Silver Bullet.... I have an S:Flo2 on the way.... how does it pair with your silver?

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #117 of 206
I'm pretty happy with the speed. It does a good enough job on things like Crystal Castles, The Knife and Justice for me, though they may not be the best examples. They don't really get too mushy with anything, though they may not be as fast as something like the RE0 or CK90Pro. Electronic tones in general sound like a hell of a lot of fun on them though. Most of my earphones are pretty fast though, so I find it actually hard to compare them. If you can give me a track to tell me exactly what you mean, and a headphone compare to, I can give you an idea?

Right now  I've been listening to the Steven Sufjan's album "Age of Adz" on these, which has a lot of lush, very complex electronic tones and it sounds great to me. 

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNC-r8p93o Sounds great. The entire track is actually an earlier one in the album but played backwards, so all the transients are completely messed up. The A1 does well, and have enough bass and speed to make your ears feel like they are being sucked out for the opening part heh.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #118 of 206
Okay, just an add on, I just did an AB on that track with my CK90Pros (my speed kings) and the A1's, and yah, the A1's are not quite as clean sounding - maybe because they have a bit more bass. Overall though the sound is better, and the extra speed isn't actually something I would want - the CK90Pros have virtually no decay to my ears, and sound completely wrong with all kinds of instruments.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #119 of 206
Thankyou very much for your impressions a_recording.

I was really quite close to pulling the trigger on this little IEM earlier today, considering the driver might be the same, or nearly the same, as in the SB and SS models which are far more expensive, this is pretty well priced, and in some certain aspects perhaps can perform better than those sonically, with an aluminium housing.
It doesn't sound like the exact sound I've been looking for, but I had this dreamy vision of myself using them all the time and being in acoustic heaven, kinda leaning back listening to alternative rock and vintage sound's in euphoria .. Lol ~~ ^^

Since then my feelings have swayed, though, and now I've (finally!) found the IEM I want.  So now I can stop staying up all night reading about IEM's and losing sleep, I swear I just have like 30 tabs open looking at chinese and japanese crap in google translate until it's 6am and I have to go to work!!  enough of this nonsense, I'm far too addicted to audio at the moment, without listening to it, reality-check, I'm pulling the trigger on these Danish gems.  So long head-fi, I'm outta here!!!

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #120 of 206

Quote:
Thankyou very much for your impressions a_recording.

I was really quite close to pulling the trigger on this little IEM earlier today, considering the driver might be the same, or nearly the same, as in the SB and SS models which are far more expensive, this is pretty well priced, and in some certain aspects perhaps can perform better than those sonically, with an aluminium housing.
It doesn't sound like the exact sound I've been looking for, but I had this dreamy vision of myself using them all the time and being in acoustic heaven, kinda leaning back listening to alternative rock and vintage sound's in euphoria .. Lol ~~ ^^

Since then my feelings have swayed, though, and now I've (finally!) found the IEM I want.  So now I can stop staying up all night reading about IEM's and losing sleep, I swear I just have like 30 tabs open looking at chinese and japanese crap in google translate until it's 6am and I have to go to work!!  enough of this nonsense, I'm far too addicted to audio at the moment, without listening to it, reality-check, I'm pulling the trigger on these Danish gems.  So long head-fi, I'm outta here!!!

You think that, but then it always drags you back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back