Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 3, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,127 of 11,644
I tried them all first at jaben Singapore before taking the plunge for the PF X - G. I am certain it has the most extension on both frequency ends compared to the other PF series. You could try first at jaben Hong Kong?

Hi ace8888, could you describe more about the PFXG extension on both ends compared with other PF series? Are you referring to the 1601 or 1602 PF? I'm using the 1602 PF IX and thinking about changing to the X. I had a chance for a quick listen and found acoustic instruments like violin more involving.

Thanks.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,128 of 11,644
Hi ace8888, could you describe more about the PFXG extension on both ends compared with other PF series? Are you referring to the 1601 or 1602 PF? I'm using the 1602 PF IX and thinking about changing to the X. I had a chance for a quick listen and found acoustic instruments like violin more involving.

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm referring to the 1602 PF X. what i mean by more extension is, like cymbals and drums i can feel that they are more tactile and less rolled off just a little bit compared to the other 2 PFs, and agreed, woman's vocal, violin, and flute is more involving / euphonic? I am not good in describing these audiophile terms. And the PF X, I find is more versatile for other genres as well.

Maybe others like MF could chime in as I believe she has both PF X and PF IX?

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,129 of 11,644
Hello,

I'm referring to the 1602 PF X. what i mean by more extension is, like cymbals and drums i can feel that they are more tactile and less rolled off just a little bit compared to the other 2 PFs, and agreed, woman's vocal, violin, and flute is more involving / euphonic? I am not good in describing these audiophile terms. And the PF X, I find is more versatile for other genres as well.

Maybe others like MF could chime in as I believe she has both PF X and PF IX?

I believe the IX is more versatile than the X.
The X suits certain music really well but so so on others, while the IX is generally good on all genres except for really fast songs.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,130 of 11,644
Thanks ace8888. MF has mentioned a few times that the X was more extreme in its presentation. As mid centric as the IX is, X was supposed to be even more extreme. That's why when you said it's more extended I have some hope that the X will be a worthy upgrade to the IX and make it more versatile.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #1,131 of 11,644
I don't really feel comfortable saying the X is an upgrade to the IX. The actual difference between the VIII, IX, and X isn't that pronounced to my ears, and given that the X is almost triple the price of the IX, I think it would be somewhat misleading for me to say that money is going toward a performance hike. What little difference exists between them is more along the lines of different coloration rather than an increase is technical capabilities in my opinion.

The X is definitely more mid-centric, warmer, and even more rolled off to my ears compared to the IX. It's the most extreme rendition of the Piano Forte signature. As a result, I would actually say the X is less versatile than the IX. I think Tom said it best when he compared the X to a fussy diva.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,132 of 11,644
Some photos of my PF IX
In terms of sound quality, I actually don't find the PF lines that far apart between each other. Especially for the IX and X, so far the difference I've noticed is that IX has a bit more bottom end and a bit less upper-mid emphasis than the PF X. Over all it is a bit colder and cleaner (don't know whether it is actually the colder color of the housing which makes me feel that way...)

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #1,133 of 11,644
Interesting. I feel that some of us are hearing these things differently. I agree with MF very much on the differences between the IX and X - except for the part about "what little difference". To my ears they, while of the same genre quite different from any other headphone, sound very different from each other.

I have never heard the VIII.

I really want to buy the X but its the same price as a GS-X-mk2. The indulgence opportunity cost is high.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,135 of 11,644
hmm, interesting.

I suppose I will have to listen for myself to see. I have a Tokyo trip coming up next month. Any suggestions where I might be able to find a place to try out the X? I am aware of e-earphone shop already. I'm wondering if there are any other places to visit?

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,136 of 11,644
I haven't had a chance to try the X-G myself, but according to two listeners I've talked to (one in Hong Kong, the other in Taiwan) there is no sonic difference between it and the X-CC.

Keep in mind it's very possible for there to exist variations among one X (CC or G) to another anyway. I don't mean bad QC, but rather FAD tweaking the sound slightly with newer versions. Japanese companies tend to not make announcements and do this silently in my experience.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,137 of 11,644
Quote:
hmm, interesting.

I suppose I will have to listen for myself to see. I have a Tokyo trip coming up next month. Any suggestions where I might be able to find a place to try out the X? I am aware of e-earphone shop already. I'm wondering if there are any other places to visit?

I strongly recommend Dynamic Audio in Akihabara. They have a huge range of earphones and headphones. The sales persons are happy to let you sit and listen for long periods without interference. They should have most of the current FAD models available for demo. The shop is about 7 minutes walk from Akihabara train Stn. Here is the link to the shop website:

http://www.dynamicaudio.jp/info/shop.html

You can also try Yodobashi electronic Dept store in Akihabara. They should also have the full range of FADs. However one cant sit and listen, and its rather noisy as well.

Happy listening! :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,138 of 11,644
I strongly recommend Dynamic Audio in Akihabara. They have a huge range of earphones and headphones. The sales persons are happy to let you sit and listen for long periods without interference. They should have most of the current FAD models available for demo. The shop is about 7 minutes walk from Akihabara train Stn. Here is the link to the shop website:

http://www.dynamicaudio.jp/info/shop.html

You can also try Yodobashi electronic Dept store in Akihabara. They should also have the full range of FADs. However one cant sit and listen, and its rather noisy as well.

Happy listening! :)

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have a great time in Tokyo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back