Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #316 of 11,664
Quote:
After reading my comparison to the GR07 MKII, james444 told me that he believes there may be an issue with the pair I'm using. I called it slightly veiled in comparison to the GR07, but it's not something that's really noticeable without a direct comparison to a brighter phone. This leads me to my other point: I'm hearing the treble of the SS to not be tuned to reach way up there. In other words, it's not quite as 'sparkly' or 'sizzly' as a W4, or HF5, FX700, or even an SE535. I think this is what contributes to the extra warmth I'm hearing.

Again, I can't simply ignore james444's concerns. Hopefully MuppetFace can chime in to see if she heard it even remotely closely to what I'm hearing now.

Well, to be precise, I told you it's either an issue with the loaner pair or with fit (and I wouldn't rule out the latter). This is the exact same pair that MuppetFace compared to her white-cabled version and concluded that both sound very similar to each other.

The FI-BA-SS, to my ears, never ever sound veiled, not even slightly so. To quote from Joker's review, "... the texture and detail levels of the FADs are indeed very high and the resulting transparency is simply off the scale – even the CK10 sounds slightly veiled next to the BA-SS ...". That's pretty much how I hear them too, and the main reason why they are among my very favorite IEMs.

Then there's that extra-midbass you repeatedly mentioned in your review. The FI-BA-SS, to my ears, don't have any mid-bass hump, in fact their bass stays very linear down to 20Hz, in line with Sonove's graph. If anything, they sound a bit thin in the upper bass/lower mids region, due to the recession that Tom mentioned (which starts even lower than 900Hz).

And last not least, the highs: the FI-BA-SS have a lot of treble energy, just look at Sonove's comparison to the ER4P. They may not have the ultimate extension of a multi-driver IEM like the W4, but the latter sound significantly warmer and less energetic in treble.

So, all in all, I'm hearing the FI-BA-SS remarkably different from you, that's why I suspect there may be some issue with your loaner pair or your fit.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #317 of 11,664
Quote:

The FI-BA-SS, to my ears, never ever sound veiled, not even slightly so.

I've never heard anyone describe the FI-BA-SS as veiled. The SS certainly does not sound veiled to these ears. If anything, some people have 'complained' of the exact opposite (!).

Quote:
And last not least, the highs: the FI-BA-SS have a lot of treble energy, just look at Sonove's comparison to the ER4P. They may not have the ultimate extension of a multi-driver IEM like the W4, but the latter sound significantly warmer and less energetic in treble.

Absolutely.

So, all in all, I'm hearing the FI-BA-SS remarkably different from you.

So am I.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #318 of 11,664
I've experimented with the stock tips, my wide bore triple flanges, the GR07 tips, comply ts400s, sennheiser biflanges, and a few no names. I seriously doubt the issue is with my fit.

I stand behind what I'm hearing, but I've sent my GR07 to night crawler as a sort of verification. Also, I'm inclined to believe that something is wrong with the pair because what I experienced (at least in the treble) is the opposite of most impressions I've read.

I'll post pictures of the nozzle filters when I get back to my apartment.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #320 of 11,664
To my ears the black and white versions of the FI-BA-SS sound more similar than dissimilar, with the FI-BA-SS-W sounding slightly more laid-back relatively speaking. The treble region of the FI-BA-SS-B has more of an overtly "hi-fi" character, and neither is what I'd personally characterize as sounding remotely veiled.

I seem to hear the FI-BA-SS differently from eke26k as well. This being the exact same pair, so I don't think it's an issue of a defective pair. Maybe tips or fit issues? Hmm...

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #321 of 11,664
I did not realize there are two versions of the SS model, I have only ever seen one for sale?

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #323 of 11,664
Quote:
I did not realize there are two versions of the SS model, I have only ever seen one for sale?

There's only one commercially available version, and that's the black cabled one. The "FI-BA-SS-W" as I call it is a concept / prototype model.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #324 of 11,664
For those concerned about any mechanical issues on the FI-BA-SS, this is from the person who I sent the loaner FI-BA-SS to compare with his own set, and my GR07:

I'll explain why I'm asking. So I just spent the last hour or so A/B-ing my own SS, with x's, in order to ensure that before I am to jump into a comparison, both mine and x's SS sound alike. I didn't have to worry about volume matching, and tested them as follows:

(NOTE: x's SS on the left, mine shown on the right)

With both plugged into my O2/ODAC, I went back and forth between a few tracks I'm all too familiar with. I came to notice that they sound nearly identical; keyword being nearly. My set is just over 2 weeks old, acquired through Dimitri, and there seems to be a VERY (and I do mean, VERY) subtle difference between the two. Mine seem to sound a hair or two brighter than x's. On some tracks, it's easier to make out. On others, it's barely noteworthy. Though as subtle as it may be, the subtle difference does exist. There are three possible reasons I can think of:

1. Quality control. Let's face it, how many do you know of that own a Final Audio Design IEM? Not many. Hence, there simply aren't enough owners to get a better sense of quality control. In turn, there may be very subtle variations between units, that may have been overlooked during the QC process.
2. Burn-in. This one seems most obvious, as I could easily see mine sounding identical to james' set, some time does down the line. If the treble becomes smoother, it'll give an ever so slightly warm hue to the mids, which is what I believe I'm hearing with james' pair.
3. Revision. Here's why:

The jack on the left belongs to x's SS, while the one on the right is that of mine. Notice that is not only ever so slightly thicker, but it's also green, unlike my own black one. A revision could have easily gone unannounced, as, once again, there just aren't many FAD owners out there.

In any case, I'm convinced that, when the time comes, I can comfortably proceed with comparing x's SS to your GR07 MK II. Although it exists, the difference between mine and x's SS is far too subtle for me to be concerned over, and it took some VERY careful listening to even make out that much! No, there isn't anything wrong with x's SS. They sound every bit as one would expect the FI-BA-SS to sound, and if asked to listen to either one blindly, there's no mistaking either one for an SS.

Just thought I'd point that out. 
smile.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #325 of 11,664
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with burn in. Normally I have not experienced burn in with BA's but I did with my heaven's and what happened was that the treble smoothed out the tiniest amount and the soundstage and dynamics increased slightly. I do want to say this was a small difference but it most certainly is there. I wonder if this is what it is with yours, Let us know a few more hours down the road!

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #326 of 11,664
If I had to bet, I'd say it's more an issue of production variation or an intentional revision rather than burn-in. The FI-BA-SS has actually gone through quite a few prototype phases and revisions, though I don't know how many of these different "versions" made it to the market.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #327 of 11,664
If I had to bet, I'd say it's more an issue of production variation or an intentional revision rather than burn-in. The FI-BA-SS has actually gone through quite a few prototype phases and revisions, though I don't know how many of these different "versions" made it to the market.

That sounds right as well. It has been my experience with smaller more bespoke companies (and I think FAD qualify with their Japanese made products) that the more human hands on there is the more chance there is for very slight variables. I know this to be the case with older British tube amp makers like Rogers and such where everything was hard wired. I remember experiencing different sounds (again, this is small) between identical amps on dem in a HiFi store.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #328 of 11,664
 I just came back from a business trip and as I had hoped, the Piano Forte IX is a great hotel room headset. I still use the ES5 on the train and other occasions where isolation is needed. However quiet time on the road has never sounded so good.

Here is a cool discovery. The FAD fabric case fits into the oversized Pelican 1040 case that comes with the ES5 like slipping on a glove. This is very handy because I travel with a huge suitcase into which I can throw my computer bag and everything else. (These days I could not check this onto an airplane in China - no checking Li-ion batteries - but no problem wheeling onto a train.) The Pelican FAD combo is truly crush-proof. And on arrival I have my favorite case for fast storage and access to the PF IX.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #329 of 11,664
I can't prove it but... I believe that I am the first person to use the PF IX, actually any Piano Forte, to watch Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. This experience changes the Piano Forte equation somewhat. It doesn't quite disappear in my ears as it normally does when I am grinning like a fool for half an hour. This seems to make my ear canals clench up.

Folks, this is terrific television. And the PF IX is a good viewing headphone with my computer (VLC Media Player > Micro DAC > Stepdance > PF IX). It provides a nice open sound and it it is plenty crisp for dialogue.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #330 of 11,664
Quote:
I can't prove it but... I believe that I am the first person to use the PF IX, actually any Piano Forte, to watch Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. This experience changes the Piano Forte equation somewhat. It doesn't quite disappear in my ears as it normally does when I am grinning like a fool for half an hour. This seems to make my ear canals clench up.

Folks, this is terrific television. And the PF IX is a good viewing headphone with my computer (VLC Media Player > Micro DAC > Stepdance > PF IX). It provides a nice open sound and it it is plenty crisp for dialogue.

Oh lawdy, I love Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. It's pretty much the only show I watch on television that isn't on Adult Swim.

I haven't listened with the Piano Forte IX or X yet, but I have listened with the Fostex TH900. That counts for something surely. I mean, I figure both it and anything from FAD are sufficiently glitzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back