Ferment by Catherine Wheel
Whirlpool by Chapterhouse
Mezcal Head by Swervedriver
The Buried Life by Medicine
Just For A Day by Slowdive
Ask Me Tomorrow by Mojave 3
Frigid Stars by Codeine
Stenorette by Amp

Thank you. It is always a challenge from China but I am up for it.

(I love new music - especially new genres of music.)

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #302 of 11,665
Quote:
Sheesh, not content with convincing me of the IX's I have now just gone to eBay and purchased OK Computer and Amneasiac.. Believe it or not this will be the first time I have listened to Radiohead!
Now, showing my age, music from my twenties, Echo and the Bunnymen's album Ocean Rain is making its way through my Heavens as I type, love the whole art school edgy vibe of them!
Oh yes, MF, thank you so much for the PM, I am sorry I have not responded yet, have not been here much, your thoughts were much appreciated, thank you!

Ah, the memories… always loved "The Killing Moon". One album (from around the time of Ocean Rain) I was very fond of was The Head on the Door by The Cure. My favourite track on that album, and one of my favourites by the band, is "A Night Like This".

FWIW, one album I still listen to these days, which I find to be a masterpiece from beginning to end, and on quite another level musically from those mentioned above, is Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden — one of my favourite albums ever. This album on the IXs is quite something.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #303 of 11,665
Ah, Talk Talk, now there are some memories! I have on order, should be here any day now Prefab Sprouts Kings of Rock and Roll compilation album. I used to own a few of their albums, Vinyl and of course when I moved they went. I always loved the way Paddy wrote songs. Have you heard Deacon Blues new one, out next Month, classic Deacon Blue, I really like the new song, always been a fan of theirs as well as the Proclaimers, Aztec Camera and such.. Oh boy the memories are returning!

Check it out, feel good music!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTlJKLrUtI&feature=youtu.be/VIDEO]

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #304 of 11,665
Looking for DAC advice with the PF IX. As quick background: I am very happy using my Rockboxed iPod Classic through the Stepdance into the PF IX. The Classic is fairly dry and isn't especially dynamic but it is very clean. By contrast, I do not like my higher performance Headroom Micro DAC (old 2006 model) with the PF IX. It's very detailed and dynamic but I find it to be too harsh and bright. (Actually I don't really like the Micro DAC with any headphone; it's okay with speakers.) My favorite DAC is USB Monica which uses the Philips TDA1545 NOS DAC chip. It is lovely and organic, and it has beautiful synergy with the 600 ohm Beyer DT880 through my Earmax Pro. Unfortunately it has terrible synergy with the PF IX. Warm, organic and mellow meets warm and mid-centric; the result is mushy.

So... I am thinking of getting the Pico DAC. I could be happy just sticking with the Classic but it would be nice to have access to the convenience of Foobar at my computer and also to listen to my lossless files. (The Classic files are all re-encoded to Lame VO.) Of course this would also give me better quality on movies and all these YouTube videos y'all keep posting.  :)

I think that the Pico's [size=13.600000381469727px]
Wolfson WM8740 should be a nice upgrade to the Classic but with a similar (slightly warmer) sound signature. (I found the CLAS to be quite similar to the Classic and it likely uses the same chip. The precise Wolfson chip in the CLAS has never been identified though.) I trust that Justin will have implemented it well. I will continue to use the Stepdance as amplifier. [/size]

Any thoughts on the Pico DAC with the PF IX?

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #305 of 11,665
Quote:
Sheesh, not content with convincing me of the IX's I have now just gone to eBay and purchased OK Computer and Amneasiac.. Believe it or not this will be the first time I have listened to Radiohead!

Do yourself a favour and also get a copy of Radiohead's The Bends (their second album). Not only is it a really great album, but you'll see (hear, rather) the musical 'progression' of the band. Many Radiohead fans believe The Bends to be the band's best album.

Quote:
I was more of a Radiohead fan in high school (along with Beck and Ween...), and after Amnesiac I lost interest in them. A few years ago I "rediscovered" them with In Rainbows which I thought was a fantastic album. I also liked King of Limbs, and really those latter two are the only albums of theirs I listen to at the moment. Too many memories attached to The Bends through Amnesiac that I'm not fancying remembering at the moment. Although I did buy the vinyl represses of their catalog a few years ago. Oddly I have nothing but very happy memories attached to both The Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth, two other "high school bands," so I still listen to both semi-regularly. 

You've inspired me to listen to some Echo and the Bunnymen again, ianmedium. Along with some Siouxsie & the Banshees for added flavor.

Not sure this will be good news to you—or if you've heard about it already— but here's a link for you: http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2012/08/20/flaming-lips-announce-new-album-the-terror-king-crimson-cover-album/

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #306 of 11,665
Quote:
Not sure this will be good news to you—or if you've heard about it already— but here's a link for you: http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2012/08/20/flaming-lips-announce-new-album-the-terror-king-crimson-cover-album/

Wow, I actually hadn't heard so thanks for the heads up.

The excerpt from that interview about the album name is so 'them.' I'm hoping this new one will be more inspiring for me than their last few efforts.

And a possible King Crimson cover album? Not sure how I feel about that one, tbh. Their Dark Side of the Moon piece was iffy for me at best. I do like their risk taking though.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #307 of 11,665
Quote:
And a possible King Crimson cover album? Not sure how I feel about that one, tbh.

Same here.

Quote:
Their Dark Side of the Moon piece was iffy for me at best. I do like their risk taking though.

Yes, their risk-taking is what has me curious. Both DSOTM & ITCOTCK have markedly distinct vibes (I haven't heard the former done by The Flaming Lips, though). It's a bit of a shame, however, that whenever the name KC comes up it's nearly always ITCOTCK. There are at least 5 other albums by the band I personally enjoy more, though that first KC album is certainly a must-have.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #308 of 11,665
Some stunning—real—music and a brilliant performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dPldwWSuc

In order of preference (read: which IEM, in my view, renders this particular piece more convincingly): FI-BA-SS > K3003 > F111 > 1601SS > 1602SS > TG 334.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #309 of 11,665
Quote:
Taken from Hong Kong AV show, they do listed in the glass cabinet, i do have a chance to take a photo snap and tried it.
Awesome sound, very similar to Heaven VI while even more clearer and musical, didnt have a long serious audition, only can get a fast first impression.

the pricing should be around  USD 500 - USD 750 (unofficial)

The Heaven VI!!? looks like Heaven IV a like.
Anyone else has tried this yet?

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #310 of 11,665
Quote:
Some stunning—real—music and a brilliant performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dPldwWSuc

In order of preference (read: which IEM, in my view, renders this particular piece more convincingly): FI-BA-SS > K3003 > F111 > 1601SS > 1602SS > TG 334.

Awesome performance! Thanks for the link! Too bad I don't have my FI-BA-SS with me right now...

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #311 of 11,665
A few more thoughts on the FI-BA-SS...

After reading my comparison to the GR07 MKII, james444 told me that he believes there may be an issue with the pair I'm using. I called it slightly veiled in comparison to the GR07, but it's not something that's really noticeable without a direct comparison to a brighter phone. This leads me to my other point: I'm hearing the treble of the SS to not be tuned to reach way up there. In other words, it's not quite as 'sparkly' or 'sizzly' as a W4, or HF5, FX700, or even an SE535. I think this is what contributes to the extra warmth I'm hearing.

Again, I can't simply ignore james444's concerns. Hopefully MuppetFace can chime in to see if she heard it even remotely closely to what I'm hearing now.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #312 of 11,665
Quote:

After reading my comparison to the GR07 MKII, james444 told me that he believes there may be an issue with the pair I'm using. I called it slightly veiled in comparison to the GR07, but it's not something that's really noticeable without a direct comparison to a brighter phone. This leads me to my other point: I'm hearing the treble of the SS to not be tuned to reach way up there. In other words, it's not quite as 'sparkly' or 'sizzly' as a W4, or HF5, FX700, or even an SE535. I think this is what contributes to the extra warmth I'm hearing.

Again, I can't simply ignore james444's concerns. Hopefully MuppetFace can chime in to see if she heard it even remotely closely to what I'm hearing now.

I believe MuppetFace had a pair of FI-BA-SS, which were tuned differently than the normal FI-BA-SS to the taste of the president/CEO or something of Final Audio Design.  It was supposed to warmer than the original pair.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #313 of 11,665
Quote:

I believe MuppetFace had a pair of FI-BA-SS, which were tuned differently than the normal FI-BA-SS to the taste of the president/CEO or something of Final Audio Design.  It was supposed to warmer than the original pair.

I know she has the white cabled one, but the one with the black cable (which is said to be tuned to be more revealing) is the one I'm listening to now.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #315 of 11,665
Quote:

I think there may be as well. May I also ask how you define mid-bass, lower midrange, and upper midrange, as well as lower treble, upper treble?

If it were up to me, sub-bass would be <60, bass 60-150, mid-bass 150-350, lower midrange 350-800, midrange 800-4000, upper midrange 5000-6500, lower treble 6500-10000, upper treble >10000. Perhaps that's why I'm confused by your findings? I know I don't define things by typical convention, but I like to divide it according to where the most tuning alterations are made.

Also, I think it's important to point out that the main cause of the characteristic 'warmth' of the FAD midrange house sound is a late rising peak in the 1k region. If you examine all of FAD's earphones, they're "recessed" in the 900-1500 region. They maintain clarity because vocal resonants are boosted, thus giving definition to voices.

Quote:

Warmer is a vague term. It has less spikiness, and thus sounds less hot.

Quote:
I know she has the white cabled one, but the one with the black cable (which is said to be tuned to be more revealing) is the one I'm listening to now.

It's not more revealing. I've heard both; IMHO the white-cabled one is a little more revealing, because it's more neutral and less peaky. I bought the black one because it has more of a unique character.

Quote:
  I'm serious about sending my GR07 to a US based head-fi'er who owns the fi-ba-ss. I would love to hear what you think.

Well, I'm not US-based, but when I get my hands on a GR07-II, I'll let you know what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back