Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 22, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #11,491 of 11,664
I find the A5000 to have a warmer, smoother sound than the A4000, it sounds good with everything whereas the A4000 can sound abrasive, thin and obnoxious with some music. The A5000 bass has an unusually wide and grand sound, the overall sound is very expansive. I have used the A4000 since it was released, it was never my favourite but I enjoyed it, I am unlikely to use it again now I have the A5000.

I only heard the A5000, but your description of the A4000 sounds like what I am hearing with the A5000.

Jun 22, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #11,492 of 11,664
I’m more curious about a comparison between the A5000 and the A3000, which is often described as more balanced than the A4000.

Jun 22, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #11,493 of 11,664
I only heard the A5000, but your description of the A4000 sounds like what I am hearing with the A5000.
I think you might dislike the A4000 a lot more then. Ears are odd things, I regretted buying the A4000 at first then, I listened to it again a few months later and really enjoyed it though, some of my favourite tracks are close to intolerable with it. The A5000 has the best characteristics of the A4000 with none of the things that make me wince, its more well rounded. I've read conflicting things about the A3000, some say its more easy going, others say the opposite, as usual YMMV.

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #11,494 of 11,664
I’m more curious about a comparison between the A5000 and the A3000, which is often described as more balanced than the A4000.
I have listened to both, I own A3000 and A8000. A5000 by comparison is a lot more V-shape. I think it is the most bass heavy, recessed mid out of all A series. Other than that the detail, resolution is better than A3000

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #11,496 of 11,664
I have listened to both, I own A3000 and A8000. A5000 by comparison is a lot more V-shape. I think it is the most bass heavy, recessed mid out of all A series. Other than that the detail, resolution is better than A3000
Thanks for you words. I had a general sense that the A3000 is the bassy one, the A4000 goes for upper mids and treble, and the A5000 is the mids timbre king. But where Final’s copy often offers a useful description of their intention with each product, I have had trouble interpreting their wording here… the A3000 is not a detail monster but I really like its tuning.

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #11,497 of 11,664
Thanks for you words. I had a general sense that the A3000 is the bassy one, the A4000 goes for upper mids and treble, and the A5000 is the mids timbre king. But where Final’s copy often offers a useful description of their intention with each product, I have had trouble interpreting their wording here… the A3000 is not a detail monster but I really like its tuning.
On my ear, i agree that a3000 is more bassy if you compared it to a4000.
I don't really like a5000 mid due to it being to recessed to my ear.

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #11,498 of 11,664
I currently own the a8000, e2000, e3000 and e5000. lol i love final iems. I’m thinking of trying the a5000 or one of the b series. Which of them makes a great all rounder that I can use for genres from electronic, ambient, classical, jazz to indie? I’m after an edc that I can use for walks or when I’m in work

I love A5000 - they've become one of my most listened to sets and the one I always reach for when out walking or going to work. Excellent all rounder - ambient, electronic, jazz, indie etc... comfortable, light / soft cable... the only challenge I sometimes have for the same use case is whether to grab the also fantastic ZE8000!

Jun 24, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #11,499 of 11,664
I currently own the a8000, e2000, e3000 and e5000. lol i love final iems. I’m thinking of trying the a5000 or one of the b series. Which of them makes a great all rounder that I can use for genres from electronic, ambient, classical, jazz to indie? I’m after an edc that I can use for walks or when I’m in work
Hey man! I have the Final B1.

I reviewed it back in 2020:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-b1.23704/reviews#review-24516

That's coming up to 3 years ago, and I'm still using it today as my daily on-the-go IEM :)
I listen to all kinds of genres (rock, pop, hip-hop, classical, jazz, blues, soul & Motown, R&B, Asian pop, EDM, folk, acoustic, country...).
I never really feel that it's lacking anything when listening, and despite its *comparatively* cheap price (vs TOTL), to this day it continues to draw out details that I'd never noticed before in songs I love, and astonish me with its musicality.

Can't really say much more than that, but I hope this helps :D

NB: It came with a 3.5mm cable, which I swapped out for an Eletech Prudence 4.4mm.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #11,500 of 11,664
Lol I think I'll try and get the b1, a5000 and ze8000. Still cheaper than 1 total set. Thanks both

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #11,501 of 11,664
Finally received my new F7200, sounds as good or "better" than I remember. Boxes are significantly different with their included text in the back, front, identical. The "new" one's box is from 2017, with comply tips included (which I won't use). My older F7200 (the ones I lost) included a physical manual (the new ones do not! Sheet with manual download link provided) , foam tips of their own (not Comply), and a set of a sort of sticky cleaning tools-the "new" F7200 has a set of replaceable filters, which I am wary of using for fear of losing highs (will likely be careful and clean them instead-have not used the filters, so cannot say for sure how much do these affect the sound signature... anyone is free to comment on that matter.)

Both include the usual E tips, which fit different on the F7200 than on "regular" IEMs (they do not form a little closed cone, but make them work as if they had a wider aperture.)

Both also have the curved plastic pieces you can use on your ears to wear them around the ear. I have used them all 3 ways-hanging like the Heaven series, without the plastic guides, and with the guides. Obviously just hanging is the more convenient manner, although it could introduce some noise if you move too much. The plastic guides are not necessary, but nice. It definitely can be worn without them, though-no discomfort or issues.

These probably were never popular because of their lovely but perhaps unexciting for many sound signature. But of all of my balanced armature Final IEMs, these are my favorite, followed by the very "normal" but outstanding with classical B2, and the more "showy" (but still relatively "normal" sounding) Heaven V.

Mids are good in all of them, different variations on good. More low mids on Heaven V, Upper Mids on B2, mids and upper mids on F7200-the latter has a less full, lower mid sound.

Low highs in the following order: Heaven V (more splashiness), B2 (refined), F7200 (polite but still detailed.) High highs-air: F7200, B2, Heaven V. Cymbals are a combination of all treble frequency response, not just low highs or high highs, so some very extended IEMs sometimes have slightly muted cymbals when the cymbal hit the lower frequencies, but can still exhibit excellent cymbal decay due to good "air": such is the case with the F7200 (and some other headphones/earphones I have.) I can say overall treble is beautiful and well represented, even if the mids are the star of the show with the F7200.

I do not want to lose them again-they are Final's take on a "neutral" sound alla ER4SR, but sound quite different still. Immediately loved hearing them again! And that despite the treble not being super analytical at all-which is what I usually like.

Looks, amazing. Sounds special. Great buy for me, before they totally disappear from the market. Not sure if they are still being manufactured, probably new old stock. US price still at 479 (sales here and there on the usual websites), available in Amazon Japan for a lot more money. Will never be a hit, but they are with me, especially being a violinist-I have plenty other earphones I can use for other purposes and for areas in which the F7200 isn't as strong.

Great mids, "neutral"/balanced/leaning bright but without the harshness IEM.

Apologies for bringing up this old friend many never liked in the first place. :)

I've always been curious to try the F7200 however the IEM's stem tip in so close with the eartips opening has always put me off as it makes it too exposed to direct contact with sweat and earwax. Have you ever had this problem?

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #11,503 of 11,664
I've always been curious to try the F7200 however the IEM's stem tip in so close with the eartips opening has always put me off as it makes it too exposed to direct contact with sweat and earwax. Have you ever had this problem?
Mr. Fawkes,

My apologies, didn't notice your question until today.

With my first pair (the ones I lost), indeed I had trouble, and had to be careful cleaning them. My first model did not have the filters, and I used their sticky sticks solution they included in the box (which are finite-it's best not to need a solution!) The newer F7200s have filters for the nozzles instead, which they now recommend using, in addition to the clear rings so the nozzle doesn't touch your ear in case the tip slips backwards (some tips are more slippery than others.)

Armed with experience tip rolling and many IEMs later, I now instead use AZLA Crystal tips (Xelastec seem impractical for this particular model.) The F7200 wears the included E tips as if they did not had the treble killing closed snout, so they do not alter the tone much, but they also wear smoothly with the top of the IEM, which means that earwax could travel to the small vents.

Though I do not use them for all my IEMs-JVC Spiral Dot++ are my favorites overall-Crystal tips work great with some of my IEMs, and the F7200 happens to be the best for their use. They are wide open, so in the case of earwax getting in the nozzle's sides, it usually acts as a barrier were it gets stuck. Further, when using a smaller size for deeper insertion, I get no ear wax at all most of the time. The larger Crystal tips sometimes get earwax, the farthest it is from the actual eardrum. But truth to be told, I have not needed to use the stock E tips, the nozzle filters, or the clear safety rings, because the Crystal tips wear very, very snuggly, so they won't move around, and provide a sort of "edge earwax barrier". Sometimes some humidity happens, but that is easier to clean. All in all, that is what I would do, and *do recommend* a deeper insertion for an even more lovely sound (bass remains good, within what the model is supposed to do), a firmer fit, and so earwax is a non issue, thus avoiding having to use the stock filters.

I have attached a picture, so you have a better idea of what I mean above. Using the MS Crystal tips, as shown in the image:
20230629_215356.jpg
(my ears are huge-used ML for shallower insertion). Sound is clear, not affected at all-the shallower the insertion, the more your ear canal may alter the signature, for better or worse. Very deeply inserted, it has a wonderful tonality and "headstage", and does seal outside noise almost too well. They are excellent-pricey, but made in Japan.

So, loved them with a shallower insertion, *adore* these with a smaller tip size, used very close to the eardrum. As you can see from the picture, there is zero chance of the steel hitting my eardrum, as the tip material would get there first, and the tight, black eartip ring won't allow for easy slippage. Wonderful combo that I cannot recommend enough for the F7200 (and the other F models).

(Other tips that may also work well are the Spinfit model with an elongated snout, for which I forgot the model number. But since I am happy with my discovery, I haven't tried them. Long eartips are best for these great-though now mostly a relic-Final IEMs. Crystals are long enough, would not recommend Xelastec for the F7200 because they relax their hold in IEMs over time, and you *want* a tight fit with these-otherwise, Xelastec are good for many other IEMs.)

(Do not use Spiral Dot with these! Do not work at all, may move around, and the dots get lost in the nozzle, which beats the purpose of those otherwise great tips.)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #11,504 of 11,664
Hi guys,

Have a question. What do You think about Final Audio Design support? Did You ever recive any answer or response from them?

I have tried contacting them a couple times, got a response saying they would get back to me from the support center and never heard back. That was two years ago though.

I've tried vr3000 and a4000 and really like them both a whole lot. The vr I use everyday for work landscaping so I only get about 9 months out of them due to the conditions. But I tried contacting them about warranty with no luck. Now I just get them off Amazon with a protection plan.

However, I do wonder if the ones on Amazon are authentic sometimes, I got a used one first and the bass was noticably more, then getting new ones they definitely sound different. Maybe it's different tunings for different regions, because the set I got used were foreign to the US it seemed.

Either way it doesn't hurt to try contacting them and it could be I wasn't persistent enough too so

Jun 30, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #11,505 of 11,664
I have tried contacting them a couple times, got a response saying they would get back to me from the support center and never heard back. That was two years ago though.

I've tried vr3000 and a4000 and really like them both a whole lot. The vr I use everyday for work landscaping so I only get about 9 months out of them due to the conditions. But I tried contacting them about warranty with no luck. Now I just get them off Amazon with a protection plan.

However, I do wonder if the ones on Amazon are authentic sometimes, I got a used one first and the bass was noticably more, then getting new ones they definitely sound different. Maybe it's different tunings for different regions, because the set I got used were foreign to the US it seemed.

Either way it doesn't hurt to try contacting them and it could be I wasn't persistent enough too so
Wow… this is sad. I have send them two mails and never heard a word from them :frowning2:

I hope I will never have any problem with their unit. They have excellent gear but if I the support sucks and I will have any problem with contacting them in the future this will be my last purchase :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back