Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 16, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #10,321 of 11,644
Quite timely to this conversation, as I've finally made the purchase of the E5000. Received it just a few hours ago and I can't believe I didn't buy this sooner. I just love the signature of it. It's not clean sounding like my B2's but it's definitely a lot of fun to listen to on bass heavier tracks; giving a great thump.

Looking forward to burning these in and mooaaaaarrrr listening!

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #10,322 of 11,644
I've always wanted to get a Final FI-BA-SS, but did never get around to finding a good deal for one. Finally had one offered for ~$300 and I didn't hesitate a bit to pull the trigger.

It is indeed a marvel. A single-BA IEM producing such abundance of detail/microdynamics/stage/imaging was unthinkable for me. Even now, it can go toe-to-toe with most multi-BA/hybrids ~$600/700 bracket in terms of sheer resolution. The presentation is also very unique. Zero sibilance and harshness, yet has the engagement factor. Bass is the weakest link but it's nowhere near as bad as other single, even some multi-BA offerings. Got a nicely rounded reverb to it that adds warmth to the lower mids.

All in all, a very unique experience, even 10 years after its release. The FI-BA-SS is timeless indeed.

IMG_9267.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #10,323 of 11,644
I've been finding the bass/lows a bit overpowering on the e5000 for some music using foam tips but have had trouble getting a fit and seal with any silicone tips. Finally tried the ear hooks and got a great fit with a set of the supplied silicone tips - amazing, falling even more in love with them, stayed awake 1 hour later last night delving into music I had previously struggled with.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #10,325 of 11,644
is the shichiku kangen just an a8000 with a new shell + dita cable?

It's using the same Be driver with some internal wiring, mods, and tuning done by DITA.

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #10,326 of 11,644
It's using the same Be driver with some internal wiring, mods, and tuning done by DITA.

It definitely is intriguing. The price is north of US$2K iirc.

On an adjacent note, the FiiO M15 does drive the A8000 with good authority. Really opens up.

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #10,327 of 11,644
It definitely is intriguing. The price is north of US$2K iirc.

On an adjacent note, the FiiO M15 does drive the A8000 with good authority. Really opens up.
Yup definitely intriguing. There was only a short impression on the e-earphone blog.
It apparently sounds quite a bit similar in some aspects like the bass. But the overall sound was "clearer" in comparison to the A8000. It's an easier sound to the ears while having more "individuality".

And yeah it's about US$2865

Definitely a must hear. Since I absolutely enjoyed listening to the A8000.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #10,330 of 11,644
I've been using the VR3000 for a few days and can say they are quite neutral sounding. Not the best I have heard for a Final Audio product, but it actually does work really well when it comes to well recorded binaural materials. I also like it for first person games as they make it easier to identify sound ques such footsteps, explosions, etc.

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #10,331 of 11,644
Since all of y'all have been talking cables for the past few pages, in my experience sticking to copper cables give you that refined treble and the warmth you are trying to retain. For some reason, every silver-plated cable I get is less bassy and cleaner but more forward treble. With some very bassy headphones that's a feature, not a bug. For the most part, I just stick to the highest quality copper that I feel the headphone can take advantage of. Of course with IEM cables, you gotta worry about ergonomics.

For the E5000, this is my preferred cable, but I like wearing them up over the ear. In fact, this is just my favorite IEM cable.
https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Crystal-Earphone-XDP-300R-MMCX-4-4/dp/B083QDDP9R/

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #10,332 of 11,644
saw someone who tried to swap another 0.78mm cm cable to a4000, some can't fit. anyone can share the experience please

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #10,333 of 11,644
I'm pleasantly surprised by the EVATW series of IEMs. These are my first wireless IEMs, and while i'd probably continue using wired for 'attentive' listening, for on the go and when cleaning the house these are very nice. I paired them to my laptop, my phone, and my DAP. on all 3 the apt X works. They are slightly more bass heavy than i'm accustomed to, but they don't feel lacking in mids nor in clarity either. Since [CURRENT WORLD EVENT] is happening, i've not tried them in public nor private transit, but they seem to close off well enough for that purpose as well.

Two tips: if you connect them to a windows computer, you won't have apt X (because windows doesn't have it), and the bass will be boosted until you disable all enhancements within the sound control panel. if you connect them to a linux machine, and want apt X, try https://github.com/EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt

I'm quite a fan of the Evangelion series, so I really like this tie-in.

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #10,334 of 11,644
I'm pleasantly surprised by the EVATW series of IEMs. These are my first wireless IEMs, and while i'd probably continue using wired for 'attentive' listening, for on the go and when cleaning the house these are very nice. I paired them to my laptop, my phone, and my DAP. on all 3 the apt X works. They are slightly more bass heavy than i'm accustomed to, but they don't feel lacking in mids nor in clarity either. Since [CURRENT WORLD EVENT] is happening, i've not tried them in public nor private transit, but they seem to close off well enough for that purpose as well.

Two tips: if you connect them to a windows computer, you won't have apt X (because windows doesn't have it), and the bass will be boosted until you disable all enhancements within the sound control panel. if you connect them to a linux machine, and want apt X, try https://github.com/EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt

I'm quite a fan of the Evangelion series, so I really like this tie-in.
APTX for windows depends on if your pc has it or not. Not becaus windows doesnt have it.

If you dont have it, you can get a bluetooth adapter that has it.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #10,335 of 11,644
APTX for windows depends on if your pc has it or not. Not becaus windows doesnt have it.

If you dont have it, you can get a bluetooth adapter that has it.

this does not compute
I can get it to work on my 2012 thinkpad running linux, yet for windows it's a hardware dependency?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back