Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 30, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #7,606 of 11,686
For anyone in Canada, Deals In A Snap, which has all orders fulfilled by Amazon, has the Final Audio Design Sonorous IV for a shocking 300 Canadian plus tax. This headphone cost 500 US, which is over 600 Canadian !!!! They had two in stock for that price. I bought one, and it showed up today. I am upgrading from a Focal Listen. I sent them a message asking if it was a pricing error, but received no response. Someone else in Canada should jump in and buy the other one. This price has never been seen on this headphone. I will put up my impressions later. I just took mine out of the box. This puppy is built like a tank.

https://www.amazon.ca/Final-Audio-D...F8&qid=1525129093&sr=8-1&keywords=sonorous+iv

May 1, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #7,607 of 11,686
I tried the E2000 and E3000 yesterday. While I've tried a small handful of other FAD earphones and didn't find the sound to my preference, I thought I'll give the budget models a demo just to see what they're like.
I demoed both for about 10 minutes each using my laptop with Foobar > Fiio Q1 (v1). Primary test tracks were "What Do I Know" by Ed Sheeran, and "Friend of Mine" by Avicii. Not the pinnacle of choice for test tracks but that's what I was playing on repeat at the time. Particular attention was paid to vocals and bass response, since that's what usually makes or breaks a budget-oriented IEM for me.
Reading this thread and observing other reviewers online, there seems to be a split in opinion whether the E2000 or E3000 has more treble. What I think might be helpful is to point out that, based on what I hear, I have a suspicion that it comes down to a difference in treble emphasis, not necessarily in treble quantity.
The E2000 seems to have a treble emphasis that is higher in the treble response. For me, this was made very clear by the sibilant 'S' notes I heard right away. I should point out that I'm also personally very sensitive to this region.
On the E3000, the highs/mid-range emphasis was lower, producing more of a 'ch' and 'sh' emphasis. The frequencies above that point seem to be smoother on the E3000, though they are less emphasised and therefore make the E3000 seem darker in comparison.
Bass, for me, was a bit too much on both of the earphones. That said, I think people who are willing/able to EQ might find the earphones much tighter sounding by lopping off some of the mid and upper-bass between 200 to 400 hertz. Also, the E3000 definitely has more bass, which does make it distracting on bass-heavy tracks, but by dialing back the volume I did fine the E3000's strong low-end made it really engaging despite being played back at lower volumes. This, I feel, is often an under-rated consideration for people who are looking to protect their hearing as much as possible.
Imaging on both also seemed to be on the poor side, though at the price I wouldn't complain. At the very least, I'll confidently say it didn't smear or muddy up instrument positioning, which is a good thing.
Overall, I wouldn't buy the E2000 or the E3000. The E2000's sibilance makes it a deal-breaker for me, and the E3000, priced at SGD $70, is a bit too expensive considering the build. That said, if I had to pick between the two, I'd immediately go with the E3000. It's generally smoother, and I'll say it's an improvement over the E2000's sound, though some others might disagree.
If I were looking at IEMs at this price point, I'll still go with the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, which I own, though sadly my pair's internal connection within the wire seems to have come loose and the right channel is now dead. If my current IEMs, the Fender FXA2 were to suddenly die as well, I'd go with the Audio-Technica ATH-E40, which is only roughly SGD $40 more than the FAD E3000 here in Singapore, and I feel is well worth the increase in cost.
These budget FADs still aren't my thing, but I think they're pretty good and will make quite a lot of people happy. Glad to finally find some FAD IEMs that I feel more positively about, and these have made me more optimistic to try more of their products, though I can't say I'll be buying one for myself any time soon.

May 1, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #7,608 of 11,686
Oh man, I have been listening to my Final Audio Design Sonorous IV for the last few hours. This headphone is insanely good. It has totally exceeded my expectations. The imaging, soundstage, and musicality of this headphone are just stunning. Instrument separation is just off the charts. This headphone literally does not even sound like a closed back at all. My Focal Listen that I upgraded from is just not even on the same level. I am super impressed. Once I put about 10 hours on this, I will put up a little review. As I do with every headphone I own, I will put up my EQ set that I create for this one as well after burn in.

May 1, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #7,609 of 11,686
Oh man, I have been listening to my Final Audio Design Sonorous IV for the last few hours. This headphone is insanely good. It has totally exceeded my expectations. The imaging, soundstage, and musicality of this headphone are just stunning. Instrument separation is just off the charts. This headphone literally does not even sound like a closed back at all. My Focal Listen that I upgraded from is just not even on the same level. I am super impressed. Once I put about 10 hours on this, I will put up a little review. As I do with every headphone I own, I will put up my EQ set that I create for this one as well after burn in.

It's semi open back, there are vent holes all around the driver.

May 2, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #7,610 of 11,686
Well, I just received the E3000 today for review, and all I can say is I am really impressed. Surprisingly good, and the price is the icing on the cake.

May 6, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #7,611 of 11,686
After a few days with the Sonorous IV, I am having a couple issues. Number one, the comfort is terrible. My ears are touching the drivers, which causes constant annoyance and irritation. Number 2, the treble on this headphone is way too harsh in the 8-10kHz region. I discovered today that Brainwavz now has a new XL Large round and flat pleather pad available, which is bigger than their other round pad. Has anyone used this on this headphone ?

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-La...076SGPZ2D/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

May 7, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #7,612 of 11,686
You guys are really in for a treat with the E4000 and E5000. I currently have the E5000 in my ears and they are superb.

The sound is dynamic (dynamic driver), a little on the fuller side of sound but with detail and control. The sub-bass is really impressive but only rears its head when called for.

Any new insights on these 2? They started to pop up in the stores...and i'm itching to get my hands on them...but don't know which one..is the E5000 a clear upgrade to the E4000? And may it be that the sound upgrade is partially because of the cable? I/m thinking that i already have 2 pairs of silver coated cables from Xelento...so i could use it for the 4000..have you tried switching the cables? but if the differences between them are based o the body material and tuning, similar to E2000/E3000, i may go for the E5000...

May 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #7,613 of 11,686
I unfortunately been scammed out of my fi-ba-ss in the process of trying to trade it with someone. I have been playing around with the Lab 2 instead and have discovered you need wear these as far out of the ear canal as possible. Before, placing it in the ear canal made it sound very mid bassy which would muddle the mids. However wearing it over ear and having the nozzle rest behind the tragus, Mids sounds so airy and sweet and yet it manages to maintain warmth in the lower end. Has got me hooked on listening to it.

May 12, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #7,614 of 11,686
I really like my e4000, I picked them up on release day may 10th.
I also tried the e5000 and to my ears they sounded just as good, I almost got the e5000 for the nice cable and beautiful stainless steel housing, but in the end I cheaped out and got the e4000.

The black aluminium is very nice, they are very light, and the logo looks very cool on the end.

Been enjoying them very much the last couple of days, I have very difficult earsshells and most bigger in ears hurt, the e4000 sound beutifull and clear and you don’t even feel you are wearing them.
62ACB5CD-D82A-432D-8D75-7F5DB9E5A558.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #7,616 of 11,686
I’m super interested in the e4000, anyone planning on making a full length review on it?

May 18, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #7,618 of 11,686
I just received the entire E Series lineup for review.

So far I only listened a little to the E5000. VERY impressive... right out of the box. One of the most natural-sounding IEMs I've ever heard. Have it running through "aging" right now, AKA "burn-in".

I already miss not having it in my ears.
:)

May 19, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #7,619 of 11,686
I just received the entire E Series lineup for review.

So far I only listened a little to the E5000. VERY impressive... right out of the box. One of the most natural-sounding IEMs I've ever heard. Have it running through "aging" right now, AKA "burn-in".

I already miss not having it in my ears.
:)
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the e4000

May 19, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #7,620 of 11,686
Hello,

I mainly listen to classical music. I recently bought an E2000 and I am impressed with the sound provided by such a cheap IEM.

I am looking forward to reading reviews about E4000 / E5000, since I want to level up within Final Audio.

Please, could anyone compare the E4000 / E5000 with the Heaven II / IV?

What do you think will go better with classical music?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back