Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 8, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #5,461 of 11,644
  ...and this is exactly where i am at! I got tired of trying out so many different things...you know, paying and waiting and then not being impressed!

I am almost positive I will like the Heaven VIII and I have already started to search for a bargain...and then to find a matching DAP...

Thanks for sharing, by the way.

I kinda enjoyed pairing H8 with less detailed DAP/combo amp since I'm not into ultra details when listening to H8. It's more like a relaxing playback system, more analogue sound. Therefore, I enjoyed it with Calyx M. Not so much with my AK120 since AK120 has less smooth amp (imo).

May 9, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #5,464 of 11,644

I kinda enjoyed pairing H8 with less detailed DAP/combo amp since I'm not into ultra details when listening to H8. It's more like a relaxing playback system, more analogue sound. Therefore, I enjoyed it with Calyx M. Not so much with my AK120 since AK120 has less smooth amp (imo).

i have listened to the calyx m with the heaven v and it is the best match i have heard...just out of my price range ...and i did

directly compare it to the ak100ii...the ak100ii sounded metallic and incoherent in comparison...

You have certainly nailed down where i am at and what my goal is: i think the heaven viii might be half of this equation...

the player to match for max. 600.????

May 9, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,465 of 11,644
  i have listened to the calyx m with the heaven v and it is the best match i have heard...just out of my price range ...and i did

directly compare it to the ak100ii...the ak100ii sounded metallic and incoherent in comparison...

You have certainly nailed down where i am at and what my goal is: i think the heaven viii might be half of this equation...

the player to match for max. 600.????

I don't know how much exactly each player is priced in your location. However, there are some suspects (which I haven't heard yet) include Cayin N6 and pal. If you may like, you can try pair it with smoother amps like portable tubes, or Cayin C5 (maybe overpowering, but smooth), and there's a very not detailed but very buttery smooth TubeAmp TA-1. I don't know too much of amps out there. Tried Alo RX, it's too neutral for my taste (not useful in this regards to smoothen the signature).

FWIW, save up and go straight up!

May 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5,466 of 11,644
Buy N6. You won't regret it. Sound is on pair with Calyx M. And fantastic synergy with H8s.

May 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5,467 of 11,644
After 2 months of owning Lab1 and H8 and compare them extensively, I can certainly say that LAB1 is far superior. Treble extension, resolution, soundstage - everything is better, fuller. H8 is superb too and if out and about is the best choice to have. Very good isolation.
I was mowing the lawn today and I didn't hear the lawn mower at all. For night time listening I prefer Lab1. Imho, the best universal IEMs from
what I heard, including 3003, FitEar and 1+2.

May 9, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5,468 of 11,644
  After 2 months of owning Lab1 and H8 and compare them extensively, I can certainly say that LAB1 is far superior. Treble extension, resolution, soundstage - everything is better, fuller. H8 is superb too and if out and about is the best choice to have. Very good isolation.
I was mowing the lawn today and I didn't hear the lawn mower at all. For night time listening I prefer Lab1. Imho, the best universal IEMs from
what I heard, including 3003, FitEar and 1+2.

Well i am close to buying the N6! and very very close on the Heaven viii...

I see you have both the Lab 1 and the Heaven VIII...can you share how close the VIII comes or are they too different from 

eachother...Thanks

May 10, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #5,471 of 11,644
All in all, I think FAD hi-end stuffs work best with desktop setup. They can scale better with better sources and amps. Unless you're talking about PF-series... Haha. Anyway, for H8 and FIBASS, do get a desktop setup if possible. DAPs are temporary solutions, which could be replaced with authority by better desktop counterparts. Unless you're talking about on-the-go setup most of the time, then it doesn't really matter I think. Choose anything which has long battery life and decent sound will do. FAD can tolerate less bright source/DAP, and the smooth character does make the listening experience much bearable for a longer period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back