Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 30, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,591 of 11,665
Sorry for the dumb question but what is the LL or L? Or you referring to the size or are they different types? Could you perhaps share a link to say Amazon on the Sony Hybrid tips? I had the green ones but not sure they are correct as I remember the holes being a little too small for the Lab1 bores

Got mine here
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/getplus/item/2478037/

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4,592 of 11,665
Yep L and LL is just the size of the Sony Hybrids as per the link above. Unfortunately the stock Lab tips are a no go for me so I don't know what the Labs sound like with them. Fantastic I am sure.

The LL sony hybrids are not part of the standard sony hybrid pack so I special ordered them from Sony parts here in Aus. $7 per individual tip and $6 for shipping lol. Cheaper than the $60 per pair Senns charge for their ie800 tips I guess.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #4,593 of 11,665
  Well here you go, first impressions about Heaven VII.  First of all, here's what they have in common with the Lab1.  Similar shape and feel, though Heavens are heavier of course.  They share the Lab1's effortless sensibility, so very musical, but with lots of detail contained within.  With both headphones I feel like I can hear the room reflections of the locations that recordings were made in, and can tell what's room sound and what's added reverb, etc.

The Lab1s are quite a bit darker than Fi-Ba-SS, with much more low end, though never dull.  The Heaven VIIs fall someplace in the middle.  They have more high end, less bass, but still more bass than the Fi-Ba-SS.  In a sense, they are what I wish Fi-Ba-SS had always been, that magical musicality but minus the slightly harsh treble, and with more bass.  The bass is not heavy, but there is enough to be satisfying, improved when you have a good seal. 

I find the Fi really only good for classical and jazz, but they really excel there.  The Lab1s are enjoyable with acoustic music, but really shine with rock and heavier sounds, as the darkness makes loud music easier to listen to.  The Heaven VII give the upper frequency detail of the Fi but with the relaxed easy-going vibe of the Lab1.  Some might call it excessive, but I'm so glad to have all of them.

After trying to find multi-BA custom IEMs that really pleased me for years, and many pairs, I have been pleasantly shocked to find the most superior sound in these little universals. 

Thanks for the impressions! From what I'm hearing about the Heaven VII and VIII, I think the VII just might be perfect for me. Just curious, how did you get your hands on the Heaven VII already? I don't think they're even commercially available yet in Japan. Also, would you say the VII is a neutral headphone? I've heard the VIII has more bass and sounds thicker, so I'm not sure which of the two I would get yet.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #4,595 of 11,665

I did tried sony hybrids (ML and L) on my LAB1. My first impression is that the music is not as enjoyable as stock tips.

Is it just me?

I agree - I had the same feeling too. It could be we just have canals more suited to the FAD tips, I tried spiral dots, ortofons, hybrids,various double flanges and the FAD Stocks were the best for me.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4,596 of 11,665
Right, the Heaven Vs are on order and should be waiting for me in Hakone on Sunday. I think I'll take along the HM-601LE and Cayin C5 to try them out...

In the end, I went for the standard, non-Ageing version.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #4,603 of 11,665
  Hm not that difficult. It's just named by the roman numerals.

IV =4
V =5
VI =6

newly released now: VII=7 and VII=8

The Piano Forte series go even further:
IX =9
X  =10

I don't think that he was complaining about Roman numerals. Nor do I think that there are many dishonest opinions in this thread - at least not since swimsonny was banned. You are on a bit of a roll.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #4,604 of 11,665

I don't think that he was complaining about Roman numerals. Nor do I think that there are many dishonest opinions in this thread - at least not since swimsonny was banned. You are on a bit of a roll.

what? That was what he said in his post... how else should I interpret that.

Also how am I "on a bit of a roll" if I am telling to state his honest opinion here.Your fault for interpreting anything else in my suggestion.
I meant is as encouragement to not hold back if he has any criticism, even if this is the FAD thread, where it's most hold them very dearly.
I know it's not so easy sometimes for some people to openly criticize something without the fear of getting flak especially in an audio forum, in which emotions are playing a huge role as critical part of enjoyment.

There was no any other implication on my statement. I hope you understand now. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #4,605 of 11,665
  what? That was what he said in his post... how else should I interpret that.

Also how am I "on a bit of a roll" if I am telling to state his honest opinion here.Your fault for interpreting anything else in my suggestion.
I meant is as encouragement to not hold back if he has any criticism, even if this is the FAD thread, where it's most hold them very dearly.
I know it's not so easy sometimes for some people to openly criticize something without the fear of getting flak especially in an audio forum, in which emotions are playing a huge role as critical part of enjoyment.

There was no any other implication on my statement. I hope you understand now. 

I was mostly teasing you on the roll comment. It is 2 am here. But you were implying that opinions in this thread are not honest. I don't agree. For example, I don't particularly like the Heaven IV - I find it boring - and I have said so more than once. (Admittedly I don't go on the attack to save the world; that's just not my way.)

But actually I think you misread his comment about being confused by the 'number of heavens', not about the numbering system for the heavens. I understand where he is coming from. I have the same complaint with iBasso and Fiio amps; there are so many and it gets difficult to keep them straight. My interest in FAD is such that I don't have that problem with the Heavens. But so far, the VI is the only one that I really want to own. (And having the Lab 1, I wonder if I will want to own the VII or VIII either.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back