Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #4,549 of 11,664
Congratulations! Can only imagine how difficult it would be to choose between the two for any track, even with such vastly different interpretations!

thanks.

impression:

PFX
well, if you combine the re262 and the sm3 (all from memory), it will be the pfx. though, the smoothness in the sm3 isnt as present in the pfx. the sound is so natural, so organic kind. there are no extension on both ends (treble to keep the music shine, and the bass to keep the music slamming). it takes time to like it really. but, in the long run, you will appreciate it deeply specially if you are listening to a lot of vocals and slow kinds of music. (blues, jazz, acoustics). this isnt an all rounder kind of iem. it has its own strenght and weaknesses too. try pop, rock and fast phase music  here and it wont sound as good as others.

well, if you heard a kind of an old radio, its something like that. plus the MAGIC, and the MUSICALITY.
its like analog kind of sound, never digital really. the details are clear, the voice is upfront like the heaven 6, but thicker like the sm3 but less the smoothness. 
its somewhat similar to the mx980/985's kind of shouty kind of voice... something most people here like it, similar to the grado 325s addictive shout kind... hard to explain, but its good.
the soundstage is massive, large, and intimate kind. very hall like.
i say MAGICAL, because its addicting, and unique. its similar to the re262 plus sm3s presentation but somewhat different too. its hard to explain. its very coloured and highly addicting. its very different to the eq7 and fx700 i had before. its MUSICAL because the details is all in there, but not too analytical, but more on the analog side. its slow on some part, but that is its strength. the bass kicks hard, but not deeper, defined and with full quality less the fake-ness of some bass heavy kind of tuning.

somehow when you use this iem, you will more focus more on the music, you will keep the music playing in your playlist, wether it is your favorite or not, it will make you listen till the end of the track... it makes you focus. it make you listen more to your tracks from the beginning til the end. that kind of listening.

it has a unique flavour of its own. 
you feel the smokey-ness kind of soundstage, but detailed, never veiled. it isnt as dry as the 262 but never as too smooth as the sm3. 
the 262 is a more shouty kind, and i hate that kind of presentation, here, it is shouty but in good kind, more like the mx980s kind.

physically heavy, cold on the first second you place it in your ears, cannot be use in bed while listening to your music, it will fall off your ears. but when you are standing, or in sitting position, no matter how hard you shake your head, it wont fall off. (weird)

FIBASS.

the grail of the holy details!
no universal iem (that i had and have) can match the details on this one. really...
it would be the single detail king in iem that ive ever heard of. even the fx700, sm3, the pfx cant match this beast!

the soundstage is wide, big, and very very good for an iem.
that treble problem is not too much compared to what i read here, it isnt sibilant to me at all. 
this is a spectacular iem!

each instruments is  separated beautifully, even better  than my praised yamaha eph 100.
the vocals remains the best, typical to the fads.

this one is better than the any iems ive had. (sm3, ortofon, fx700)
its clear, clean, fast, highly detailed.

the bass isnt lacking, but its there, just a little lighter, but bigger when needed or called for. its a little lightfoot but excellent overall.
the treble is for treble heads like me, the sparkles, the shines, its all here. its beautiful.
the mids, liquid, fast.

the soundstage. the best.
the instrument separation. the best. 
the build. well, i hate the cord for being not REPLACEABLE.
its so small, a little bigger than the ue700. just a little. 

its a better performer to any kind of music you throw it in.

comparison between the two is like comparing apple to oranges.
nothing beats the other, both have different qualities, technique, design, presentation and sound.
i say, if you can, have both, if not, better get the fibass first. :)
the pfx is one of a kind. you needed to feed it a good kind of music to match its perfectly (slow kind, more on vocal focused)  
the pfx is very unique, not all will like it, but in time you will. 
i heard the closer sounding one, so close to this kind of sound is the CARDAS iem. but i hate the wire on both, since the wire on the pfx is so thin. 

hope you guys enjoyed my impression.
more power to music!

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,550 of 11,664
guys, i also tried the lab 1.
and its not breathtaking nor groundshaking, really. its not big deal, i wonder why people are after it, when i find the pfx alot better, maybe due to people's taste and different preference (YMMV).

the lab 1, when i tried it, its not very unique as the pfx. i and the owner of the lab 1, a friend i met, both have the heaven 6.
its like a heaven 6, only a little sweeter. not too much far from the heaven 6's sound really. (to me, to my ears).
i find them to be just ok,  its more like the older brother of the heaven 6 but its not far from the heaven 6. it maybe better than the heaven 6's sound, overall, but its not far. (if we talk about difference in pricing of both).
the lab 1 is more sweeter, a little more colored a little more faster, more detailed than the heaven 6. but to me, its still more like heaven 6s sound. it doesnt stay away from there.

an enginee who work for fad once told me that the lab 1 is just like a demo (trial version) to know if people will like it. that's why the numbers on this is limited.
the newer versions were the perfect one, the real deal here. if you can get a hand to those, thats a lot better than the lab 1.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #4,552 of 11,664

FIBASS.

the grail of the holy details!
no universal iem can match the details on this one. really...
it would be the single detail king in iem that ive ever heard of. even the fx700, sm3, the pfx cant match this beast!

Hmmm? What a huge lofty claim. I hope you meant to state that is true out of the earphones you have heard, because I certainly would never make that statement or believe it to be true. But I do agree that FI BA SS is one of the best out there.

I do, however, agree with much you stated about the Lab I. I do think it is an exceptional earphone, but doesn't justify its price at all. Now, I would ask if you heard the Lab I amped. Amped, it sound like a full-size headphone to me ears. Does it blow the Pandora Hope VI out of the water? Not to my ears. The Hope VI has opened up beautifully with about 200 hours on it now. It's leans to the warm side, yet the amount of details I hear coming out of this headphone never ceases to amaze me everytime I put it on my head. Happy listening. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4,553 of 11,664
  guys, i also tried the lab 1.
and its not breathtaking nor groundshaking, really. its not big deal, i wonder why people are after it, when i find the pfx alot better, maybe due to people's taste and different preference (YMMV).

the lab 1, when i tried it, its not very unique as the pfx. i and the owner of the lab 1, a friend i met, both have the heaven 6.
its like a heaven 6, only a little sweeter. not too much far from the heaven 6's sound really. (to me, to my ears).
i find them to be just ok,  its more like the older brother of the heaven 6 but its not far from the heaven 6. it maybe better than the heaven 6's sound, overall, but its not far. (if we talk about difference in pricing of both).
the lab 1 is more sweeter, a little more colored a little more faster, more detailed than the heaven 6. but to me, its still more like heaven 6s sound. it doesnt stay away from there.

an enginee who work for fad once told me that the lab 1 is just like a demo (trial version) to know if people will like it. that's why the numbers on this is limited.
the newer versions were the perfect one, the real deal here. if you can get a hand to those, thats a lot better than the lab 1.

I own both the Heaven VI and Lab 1 and I like them both very much. Regarding your comments, I can only say that people hear things very differently.

As for your engineer friend, I seriously doubt that the new injection molded single BA Heavens are the real deal relative to the Lab 1. I do believe that there were plans to build on the Lab line but Takai-san's death seems to have put an end to that.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4,554 of 11,664
I own both the Heaven VI and Lab 1 and I like them both very much. Regarding your comments, I can only say that people hear things very differently.

As for your engineer friend, I seriously doubt that the new injection molded single BA Heavens are the real deal relative to the Lab 1. I do believe that there were plans to build on the Lab line but Takai-san's death seems to have put an end to that.

Agree with you, Cooperpwc. I have all the FADs discussed and compared. All of them are from different lines (expressing different lines of thoughts of Takai-san). Which one we prefer is really down to our own tastes and preferences.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4,555 of 11,664
  So is your FAD Heaven 6 out of service now with the addition of the FIBASS and pfx?

nope. 
im still using it, just giving them eartime one at a time.

Hmmm? What a huge lofty claim. I hope you meant to state that is true out of the earphones you have heard, because I certainly would never make that statement or believe it to be true. But I do agree that FI BA SS is one of the best out there.

what i meant is the universals ive heard and owned. sorry. gotta re edit that one. (including: ortofon, fx700, sm3, re262, ue700)

its edited now sir. :)
maybe i was just typing too fast that i forgot to name i few i have and had for comparison :)

i did heard them for a few minutes, and i wasnt really blown away. maybe its a first try, maybe it would change when i really have one for a day at least :)
of course, my impression my change.

I do, however, agree with much you stated about the Lab I. I do think it is an exceptional earphone, but doesn't justify its price at all. Now, I would ask if you heard the Lab I amped. Amped, it sound like a full-size headphone to me ears. Does it blow the Pandora Hope VI out of the water? Not to my ears. The Hope VI has opened up beautifully with about 200 hours on it now. It's leans to the warm side, yet the amount of details I hear coming out of this headphone never ceases to amaze me everytime I put it on my head. Happy listening. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #4,556 of 11,664

i have tried the lab 1 with my iphone 5c and ak10 combo.
only listened to the lab 1 for a brief moment only. 
it doesnt strike me as a unique sounding since i find the heaven 6 very similar sounding to the lab 1.
unlike the pfx *slow sounding, and the fibass *articulate, dynamic and fast, which is very different to the sound of my heaven 6 by comparison.

i very much agree.
and heard them for a brief moment so i never felt a huge difference with the heaven 6. 
its like the brother of the heaven 6 but better overall, but same sound.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,557 of 11,664
Sorry, but you really can't compare pfx and lab1.. they are 2 totally different phones designed for different purposes..

I will get the lab1 by tomorrow and will see how it fares against SpiralEar SE5. One person, that opinion I highly regard, put the lab1 above his UERM.. interesting :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4,558 of 11,664

nope. 
im still using it, just giving them eartime one at a time.

what i meant is the universals ive heard and owned. sorry. gotta re edit that one. (including: ortofon, fx700, sm3, re262, ue700)

its edited now sir. :)
maybe i was just typing too fast that i forgot to name i few i have and had for comparison :)

i did heard them for a few minutes, and i wasnt really blown away. maybe its a first try, maybe it would change when i really have one for a day at least :)
of course, my impression my change.

I see now. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #4,559 of 11,664
Sorry, but you really can't compare pfx and lab1.. they are 2 totally different phones designed for different purposes..

I will get the lab1 by tomorrow and will see how it fares against SpiralEar SE5. One person, that opinion I highly regard, put the lab1 above his UERM.. interesting :)

I also favor the LAB I to the UERM, and I believe Woodcans and Muzak does too. I don't find the LAB to be too far removed from the UERM's sound actually. The LAB is probably the most linear sounding of the FAD phones I've heard.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #4,560 of 11,664
Just thought I would chime in since haven't posted in a while. I am still very much enjoying my Lab 1's. Paired with the M they sound really incredible. I also plugged them into my iphone 5S the other day and streamed some of The Eagles of itunes (taking my dad to see them next year) and was astounded at how good they sounded with the iphone. For a good second I wondered why I bought the M. Right now I am listening to some youtube clips of Glass Animals with the Lab's - sounds awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHEuhJf7nA.

Since getting the Lab 1's I have sold my Merlins and ie800's. Decided to keep the Parterre/AK120 combo and will run the Lab's with the M, but 95% of the time I reach for the Lab's. I would be happy with just the Lab's to be honest. Have been listening to quite a lot of Led Zeppelin with the M/Lab's over the last few days. Stairway to Heaven with this combo is AMAZING. The Lab's suite music from that era incredibly well, like Floyd, Led Zep, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane etc.

Happy with my Lab's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back