Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4,501 of 11,644
Nuh uh.
tongue.gif

I present exhibits A and B:

To be honest, they both have a different and amazing sound and either would be a great buy. The C is thinner sounding though if that means anything.
They oxidize. Under the tips is where mine generally do so. Good practice to clean them and the tips. Just get the non-aging if you don't wanna be bothered. Seriously lol.

Thanks for the graphs, the frequency response of the heaven v looks like my preferred sound signature - solid bass with smooth treble without any major spikes. I wonder what the mids sound like?

Also, could anyone explain the difference between the colored lines and grey lines in the graphs? Is one actual response and the other perceived response?

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #4,502 of 11,644
Agree with Coop: the Lab1 is certainly versatile enough. The PFs tend to be an acquired taste to be used across all genres.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree as well. It completely depends on what you want, like I was saying. If you're looking for "natural" with pop, you're either in the very right, or the very wrong place. All of these are pretty different. And it's subjective. And it's expensive subjectivity.

Also, could anyone explain the difference between the colored lines and grey lines in the graphs?

Should be L/R channels. Heaven C is thinner sounding. Less FAD in nature. Mids on the V are fantastic, vibrant and robust, but not overly rich and colored by most people's book. That would be something like the PF.

Please tell me someone didn't just post FR graphs in the FAD thread to illustrate a point. That's like unspoken rule #1... : )

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #4,503 of 11,644
Hi everyone...Can anyone help.
I own X-CC and X-G and I would like to pairing to my AK240 2.5mm balanced heahphone output. Did anyone have expreance to change X-CC or X-G 3.5mm plug to 2.5mm balanced plug. Or anyone know how many conductor inside the X-G's cable.....3 or 4?

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #4,504 of 11,644

I own X-CC and X-G and I would like to pairing to my AK240 2.5mm balanced heahphone output. Did anyone have expreance to change X-CC or X-G 3.5mm plug to 2.5mm balanced plug. Or anyone know how many conductor inside the X-G's cable.....3 or 4?

Welcome!

I don't think anyone around here has dared to modify their Final Audio earphones to that extent. With the subjective and varied results that some people experience with balanced operation, most here wouldn't think it was a worthwhile endeavor, especially considering the risk.

If I had to guess, the cable would be 4 wire, since it would have to be 4 wires at some point: a positive and ground for each channel, beginning at the Y-split. So it would be 4 combined out of the earphones. Most likely that would continue all the way to the 3.5mm plug. So you might be able to get by with just re-terminating and rewiring the 3.5mm plug into the 2.5mm and keep the cable intact.

If you move forward with this, definitely let us know how it goes!

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #4,505 of 11,644

Just use a 3.5 TRS to 2.5 TRRS adaptor which can be found for about $30, keep you PFX original and avoid taking risks that you could regret afterwards

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4,506 of 11,644
Just use a 3.5 TRS to 2.5 TRRS adaptor which can be found for about $30, keep you PFX original and avoid taking risks that you could regret afterwards

Ok, you cannot just shove a balanced signal down an unbalanced earphone with an adaptor and magically make it balanced. What it does do is defeat the whole purpose and damages equipment. I'm not that familiar with the AK240, but if it's a true quad-mono, 4-output signal, you are not only definitely not going to get balanced operation, but you might damage or short out the AK240's output stage as you are combining the 2 negative wires. If he wants balanced, the 3.5mm has to come off. There are 4 wires in balanced, not 3 with TRS, which shares the ground. Unless the adaptors isolate or end one negative signal somehow... that sounds like a travesty, with dB loss at minimum, and certainly can never yield balanced operation.

You can use an adaptor to go from a balanced headphone to an unbalanced output, but not vice versa without electronics involved to make it behave properly.

Traditional 3.5mm TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) = 3 segments
AK240 2.5mm TRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) = 4 segments

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #4,507 of 11,644

Ok, you cannot just shove a balanced signal down an unbalanced earphone with an adaptor and magically make it balanced. What it does do is defeat the whole purpose and damages equipment. I'm not that familiar with the AK240, but if it's a true quad-mono, 4-output signal, you are not only definitely not going to get balanced operation, but you might damage or short out the AK240's output stage as you are combining the 2 negative wires. If he wants balanced, the 3.5mm has to come off. There are 4 wires in balanced, not 3 with TRS, which shares the ground. Unless the adaptors isolate or end one negative signal somehow... that sounds like a travesty, with dB loss at minimum, and certainly can never yield balanced operation.

You can use an adaptor to go from a balanced headphone to an unbalanced output, but not vice versa without electronics involved to make it behave properly.

Traditional 3.5mm TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) = 3 segments
AK240 2.5mm TRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) = 4 segments

If its gonna damage the balanced output then why reputable brands got involved in creating adaptor?

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4,508 of 11,644
If its gonna damage the balanced output then why reputable brands got involved in creating adaptor?

Nella, the adapters I hear about are for trrs to trs, ie. for balanced to single ended output. Not the other way around. :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #4,509 of 11,644

Nella, the adapters I hear about are for trrs to trs, ie. for balanced to single ended output. Not the other way around.
smily_headphones1.gif

^^ That. And I have seen a few manufacturers make the balanced to unbalanced adaptor, and I think it's wildly irresponsible to make that sale without a disclaimer. There may be some use cases where that adaptor could work, but the overwhelming majority of buyers don't know. And I see this recommendation far too often. Sorry if i was a bit stern. I'm just frustrated with the glaring lack of info on this subject around here, and from manufacturers.

They aren't really made by any reputable manufacturer, I think I've seen 1 case of it. But the TRRS to TRS are made, and that is totally fine.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4,511 of 11,644

Thanks for the graphs, the frequency response of the heaven v looks like my preferred sound signature - solid bass with smooth treble without any major spikes. I wonder what the mids sound like?

Also, could anyone explain the difference between the colored lines and grey lines in the graphs? Is one actual response and the other perceived response?

Note that its compensated and you might not her exactly that. Chances are that you'll hear a few dB less bass overall and less rolloff in the upper treble above 10KHz. But other than that, should be pretty on target depending on your ear topography possibly causing amplitude shifts.

The lower mids are a bit colored but not veiled by the mid bass and the upper mids have great energy for those explosive high notes. IMO, they are glorious in terms of emotion.

Colored lines indicate left and right channels. Gray lines indicate raw/uncompensated data.

Please tell me someone didn't just post FR graphs in the FAD thread to illustrate a point. That's like unspoken rule #1... : )

Sorry 
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,514 of 11,644
Pretty sure Muppetface is the biggest FADnatic around these parts. Hell she even owns the Muramasa and has a FAD tattoo haha

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4,515 of 11,644
Pretty sure Muppetface is the biggest FADnatic around these parts. Hell she even owns the Muramasa and has a FAD tattoo haha

Agree! Hmmm... Didn't know about the tattoo though... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back