Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4,366 of 11,686
  I picked up some SS, S, M L Sony Hybrids yesterday, and I also got some L Sony tips off some budget phone like the MHA750. Both the L Hybrids and the L Sony budgets work very good. I probably prefer the fit and feel of the budgets as they are a little more tacky. Will do a fair bit of back and forth with them over the next few days though. I also put an order in with the Sony part distributor for a set of LL Hybrids.

Will post some more impressions of the Labs soon, but in short they are far more musical than any other phones I have heard. Virtually impossible to sit still while listening to them. They sound amazing with everything I have thrown at them so far from rock, math rock, math core, trip hop, IDM, hip hop, folk, future jazz. The bass is stellar and the mids, particularly vocal is orders of magnitude better than any other phone I have heard (other than the PFIX). They are not analytical but all the detail is there. My biggest surprise is how good they sound with heavier stuff like The Dillinger Escape Plan, At The Drive In, Rage Against The Machine etc. Listening the RATM's self titled album on these was as exciting as the first time I heard it when I was a teenager. The best thing about these phones is that you listen to the music, not the phones.

Great impressions! I swear that mine are on the way. It's the tip rolling that keeps screwing things up. It's frustration and fun the Final Audio way. :)

These are fine fine headphones and your impressions captured that well.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #4,367 of 11,686
Regarding the tip battle between the Sony Hybrids and the Sony Budgets........................the winner is..................Sony Hybrids, with a devastating right hook (better imaging/3d) to left uppercut (bass slam) combo. The knockout was setup with the slicker footwork (airiness) of the Hybrids.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,368 of 11,686

Great impressions! I swear that mine are on the way. It's the tip rolling that keeps screwing things up. It's frustration and fun the Final Audio way. :)

These are fine fine headphones and your impressions captured that well.

Thanks for your kind words, I don't have the audio vocab to describe the phones technically as well as you guys so I can only talk about the music
L3000.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4,369 of 11,686
IMO, its a matter of preference. The mh750's tip solidifies the FAD sound signature (kinda reminds me of the PF X with much more controlled highs). Aside from that, it gives a piano track a whole new level of experience, more natural. But of course YMMV.
wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #4,370 of 11,686
  IMO, its a matter of preference. The mh750's tip solidifies the FAD sound signature (kinda reminds me of the PF X with much more controlled highs). Aside from that, it gives a piano track a whole new level of experience, more natural. But of course YMMV.
wink_face.gif

I don't think the budget Sony's I tried in the test are the same as the MH750's, they are clear and the phones they are off in Oz cost about $40AUD. They sounded really good, but to me, the Hybrids sound quite a bit better. The budgets were a little too warm and I am getting much better imaging and bass texture off the Hybrids. The warmth of the Budgets was making things a little too congested.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #4,375 of 11,686
This was touched on a few pages back. I contacted FAD and they told me there are no further releases of the Lab1 planned.

The Heaven 7 and 8 will be tuned to sound very similar but will only be single BA. At this time they said no plans to release a dual BA.

How long no plans means is anyone's guess.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #4,379 of 11,686
Hi, I'm deciding between the Final Design Audio Heaven II (88 dollars from Amazon) or JVC HA-FXT90 (73 dollars) or Ostry KC06 (57 dollars)...

Can you guys give a comparison?

Initially I wanted to get the Ostry KC06 because people are saying it performs really good for the price but if I can top up a little more I can get a lot better?

Good clarity is a must.(or is the word transparency? Sorry I'm new to the audiophile world). Listen to a lot of anime, piano songs, ballads, and most of the other genres except rap/hip hop and heavy metal/rock. Great vocals is a huge bonus!

Dislike the highs being too "sharp" ? Or ear piercing sharp (dunno what's the word for that)

Would be nice if the earphones are really "fun" to listen too. I dunno how to put it into words, but basically the songs feel really "lively". For example, a pianist playing a song with full of emotions and finesse vs a layman playing the piano technically perfectly but missing the soul and emotion.

Budget up to 90 dollars (maximum!). Source: Phone or laptop with cheapo sound card

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #4,380 of 11,686
In regards to the previous questions a few pages back as to how the Lab 1's fair with electronic music -  I have mainly listened to electronic though them over the last 3 days and it has been a total trip. My test included extensive listening of Aphex Twin, Autechre, Gesaffelstein, Justice, Ben Frost, Boards of Canada, Burial, Darkside, Jon Hopkins, Amon Tobin, Massive Attack, Gatekeeper, Lorn and more. Hip Hop sounds awesome through these things as well.

I have not found a genre that these phones don't hit out of the park.

To take a quick break from my electronic test, I listened to the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon OST last night with the Lab's whilst walking the dog. Truly exquisite, just incredible.

All of this was with flac's though AK120. The labs also sound great with the iphone and 320kbps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back