Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #11,041 of 11,661
Agree with @baskingshark that E5000 is difficult to drive. It’s the only IEM that apple dongle noticeably reduces the sound quality. Noted that the frequency response stays the same across sources, but the note attacks are noticeably blunter and less separated on weaker sources.

Not quite agree about how much power E5000 needs, though. It sounds satisfying (and the same) across my btr5, ka3, and hidizs ap80 pro x.

Bro if you tried the E5000 on a desktop amp with sufficient juice, you might notice the E5000's bass will tighten considerably and have greater texture and transients, compared to an apple dongle.

It might be more noticable on tracks with complex or fast bass movements. Otherwise everything just smears into a nebulous boomy blob when the E5000 is run from a weak source.

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #11,042 of 11,661
Bro if you tried the E5000 on a desktop amp with sufficient juice, you might notice the E5000's bass will tighten considerably and have greater texture and transients, compared to an apple dongle.

It might be more noticable on tracks with complex or fast bass movements. Otherwise everything just smears into a nebulous boomy blob when the E5000 is run from a weak source.

I think about the same point right after writing my previous response: All of my sources are similar, even down to the dual Saber DAC chips. I don’t have desktop grade gear.

Will borrow a Fiio M11 to try. One of the people who bought E5000 based on my recommendation also told me to run this on desktop stack.

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #11,043 of 11,661
Btw, I just removed the back filter of E3000 according to the recommendation of another member of this thread couple months ago. Here are the frequency responses (stock is green modded is red)

E3000.jpg

In general, the difference in FR is not surprising. Opening back vents tend to add a bit of mid bass. What surprising is that the transient response of the driver seems to be better, bringing it a bit closer to E5000. It seems that E series does share driver.

Anyhow, if you want bass but still want relatively clean transients and decently resolving treble, opening the back vent and removing the filter is a good option. You can always stick the filter back of add a piece of micropore tape if you regret.

Now, how do we deal with the lower midrange. I'm thinking about breaking the filter at the front vent (hidden underneath the nozzle) to increase the pressure release, thus drop the bass. There is no turning back from breaking that filter, though.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #11,045 of 11,661
Agree with @baskingshark that E5000 is difficult to drive. It’s the only IEM that apple dongle noticeably reduces the sound quality. Noted that the frequency response stays the same across sources, but the note attacks are noticeably blunter and less separated on weaker sources.

Not quite agree about how much power E5000 needs, though. It sounds satisfying (and the same) across my btr5, ka3, and hidizs ap80 pro x.
Thank you for your insights.
I was considering ap80 proX but decided to go for a dongle and Tidal subscription because I know that I usually don't end up using standalone DAP.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #11,046 of 11,661
Thank you for your insights.
I was considering ap80 proX but decided to go for a dongle and Tidal subscription because I know that I usually don't end up using standalone DAP.

I went with AP80 Pro X because I couldn't sit and listen through an album if I have YouTube and head-fi at my finger tips :dt880smile:

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #11,047 of 11,661
Thank you for confirming my concerns and suggesting Sony. I will do a bit more research on them but they sound like they could fit my needs.
I am also looking at Shure Aonic 3 but I am not sure they provide enough of an upgrade over E4000.
I used my E5000 with a BTR5 using 3.5mm for a while, I listen at a volume a bit louder than is recommended and it was very loud at 50% volume. With balanced it was loud at about 40%. I use a Go Blu now and it is loud at close to max volume using 3.5mm and with 4.4mm its loud at about 60%. I've also used it with a BTR3K using 3.5mm and it was loud at about 80%. By loud I mean a fun loud not just audible. I agree with the comment about how it sounds when underpowered, it is uneven and boomy, I don't regard being loud enough, the same thing as adequately powered.. When powered right its a smooth and refined listen.

I prefer other IEMs for music like techno that have a fast, hard or more abrupt bass sound though the E5000 sounds very good with it.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #11,048 of 11,661
From waaaay earlier in the thread.. about AliExpress:

Please note that this is not a Final Audio Design product. We have encountered this company in the past and it is a cheap imitation of the Final Audio products. Unfortunately due to very loose regulation in China we are unable to stop them from using the Final Audio name.

Now they're at it again with even more ridiculousness. Yeah...Lab2s which haven't been available *anywhere* for years...at this price? Nice copy of that intricate design though... but who knows what the driver is. Beware of this site if you see these advertised!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826659710.html

Aug 13, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #11,049 of 11,661
Just ordered a pair of ZE3000 based on the positive reviews here and there.

Is there any owner ready to share his/her very short impressions about that set?
For the price, you can’t beat it’s tuning and overall SQ. As long as you don’t mind some minor hiccups here and there with the connection. It also doesn’t really have all the bells and whistles other TWS IEMs out there but man does it sound good.

I’ve switched with my buddy for a while to try his ZE3000.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #11,050 of 11,661
Absolutely loving the Final ZE3000. Listened to it for 3 hours straight today, and I rarely listen to TWS IEMs for that long as the BT compression distracts me. ZE3000 has the sense of space and separation that very few TWS IEMs manage to convey and the compression is fairly minimal under AptX HD codec.

Also my unit didn't have any issues at all with connection (Pixel 4XL). Pairing was extremely simple, took around 5 seconds in total. Only Galaxy Buds or Airpods pair faster with respective Samsung phones/iPhones.

Played everything from Tidal. Really nice mid-bass punch that doesn't bleed into mids. Exceptional vocal tuning, especially lower-mids/male vocals. Treble is present without being over-bearing. Excellent tuning overall.

My biggest gripe was the fiddly touch control mechanism. I just didn't find it reliable enough to be of much use. But it's only day 2 of ownership so let's see how that develops.

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #11,051 of 11,661
Absolutely loving the Final ZE3000. Listened to it for 3 hours straight today, and I rarely listen to TWS IEMs for that long as the BT compression distracts me. ZE3000 has the sense of space and separation that very few TWS IEMs manage to convey and the compression is fairly minimal under AptX HD codec.

Also my unit didn't have any issues at all with connection (Pixel 4XL). Pairing was extremely simple, took around 5 seconds in total. Only Galaxy Buds or Airpods pair faster with respective Samsung phones/iPhones.

Played everything from Tidal. Really nice mid-bass punch that doesn't bleed into mids. Exceptional vocal tuning, especially lower-mids/male vocals. Treble is present without being over-bearing. Excellent tuning overall.

My biggest gripe was the fiddly touch control mechanism. I just didn't find it reliable enough to be of much use. But it's only day 2 of ownership so let's see how that develops.

IMG_9648.jpg
IMG_9649.jpg
IMG_9651.jpg

Touch control also drove me crazy when I auditioned this unit. Change the fit a bit, audio stop or start.

But the sound is definitely good. It’s driver from A series with the proper tuning of E series anyway.

I remember a Japanese article showing of ZE5000 and some new products but nothing seems to be released so far.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #11,054 of 11,661

IMG_9648.jpg
IMG_9649.jpg
IMG_9651.jpg

I’m in agreement with you about the performance of the ZE3000, the best tws iem I’ve heard. I actually found the angled touch plate easier to use than others I’ve tried from Sennheiser and JAYS. Hopefully after having your set for awhile, you’ll get used to it. ✌️

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #11,055 of 11,661
I’m in agreement with you about the performance of the ZE3000, the best tws iem I’ve heard. I actually found the angled touch plate easier to use than others I’ve tried from Sennheiser and JAYS. Hopefully after having your set for awhile, you’ll get used to it. ✌️
Got these today. Love the sound and the fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back