Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #9,661 of 11,644
E3000 should arrive tomorrow. I’m excited. It will be my first Final Audio IEM (already love the E tips).

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #9,662 of 11,644
E3000 should arrive tomorrow. I’m excited. It will be my first Final Audio IEM (already love the E tips).

Congrats! I’ve owned/own the A, B, D, & F series, but until my recent purchase of the E500, not any of the E series. The E500 is surprisingly great for $21.

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #9,664 of 11,644
So, my initial impression of the E3000 is that it’s better than I thought it would be. A lot of mid bass quantity tends to bother me, and comes across as muddy and resonant to me, kind of like a poorly braced full range speaker or a small bluetooth speaker trying to trick you into thinking it has a lot of bass. Looking at the FR curve prior to purchase, I expected a lot of mid bass. It’s still more than I typically like, but I’m amazed at how clean it sounds. It’s not muddy, and doesn’t affect the mids much. The E3000 just has such a pleasing, warm sound that’s still clear. I’m also surprised at how extended the treble sounds. It’s certainly “rolled off”, and doesn’t have a lot of sparkle that people perceive as clarity, but does have a good amount of air/upper treble, though at a low level so it’s subtle. I like that the treble doesn‘t have a steep shelf. The sub bass also sounds great, with more quantity than the FR graph suggests. The mids are so smooth and relaxing, but not veiled at all. There are no deep notches in the curve, and there is a hint of sibilance that can come through, which I actually like because it’s not enough to be bothersome, and all of the frequencies are presented.

I’m glad you guys warned me that these like a LOT of power. You weren’t kidding about minimal volume change for a while, until they suddenly come alive. I have to max out the volume when running it off an iPad, and it’s around 3/4 of the way up on the DFC, for a good listening level. The DFC volume is usually less than half when I’m listening to any of my other IEMs.

Finally, regarding the fit, they are a lot shorter than I thought they would be. I’m used to Etymotics. For some reason, even with my usual size of Final E tips, it’s finicky getting them to seat correctly. Because they‘re short, and the back of the IEM tube is cut off flat, the sharp edges can dig into parts of my ear a bit, so I find myself fidgeting with them a lot. On the other hand, the small size lets if completely fit in my ear, so I can comfortably lay on my side with them in place.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #9,665 of 11,644
So, my initial impression of the E3000 is that it’s better than I thought it would be. A lot of mid bass quantity tends to bother me, and comes across as muddy and resonant to me, kind of like a poorly braced full range speaker or a small bluetooth speaker trying to trick you into thinking it has a lot of bass. Looking at the FR curve prior to purchase, I expected a lot of mid bass. It’s still more than I typically like, but I’m amazed at how clean it sounds. It’s not muddy, and doesn’t affect the mids much. The E3000 just has such a pleasing, warm sound that’s still clear. I’m also surprised at how extended the treble sounds. It’s certainly “rolled off”, and doesn’t have a lot of sparkle that people perceive as clarity, but does have a good amount of air/upper treble, though at a low level so it’s subtle. I like that the treble doesn‘t have a steep shelf. The sub bass also sounds great, with more quantity than the FR graph suggests. The mids are so smooth and relaxing, but not veiled at all. There are no deep notches in the curve, and there is a hint of sibilance that can come through, which I actually like because it’s not enough to be bothersome, and all of the frequencies are presented.

I’m glad you guys warned me that these like a LOT of power. You weren’t kidding about minimal volume change for a while, until they suddenly come alive. I have to max out the volume when running it off an iPad, and it’s around 3/4 of the way up on the DFC, for a good listening level. The DFC volume is usually less than half when I’m listening to any of my other IEMs.

Finally, regarding the fit, they are a lot shorter than I thought they would be. I’m used to Etymotics. For some reason, even with my usual size of Final E tips, it’s finicky getting them to seat correctly. Because they‘re short, and the back of the IEM tube is cut off flat, the sharp edges can dig into parts of my ear a bit, so I find myself fidgeting with them a lot. On the other hand, the small size lets if completely fit in my ear, so I can comfortably lay on my side with them in place.
Glad you like them, don't forget to burn them in for 200hrs minimum

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #9,666 of 11,644
I've had my Heaven II's for a while now and decided to post about them. (Got them at about 40% off)

They are my first FAD IEM and they are basically exactly what I was expecting, lean, fast, bright, revealing but still sort of warm. (Prior to burn in, congested and peaky bright)

The tonality is definitely not for everybody but can be somewhat fixed to a degree with the plethora of tips included. On the topic of tonality and frequency response, they definitely sound "single-BA" but with surprising ability and extension, great air and you can actually hear a decent range of sub-bass albeit, quietly.

The only personal gripe I have with them is the microphonics of the cable, they shells are surprisingly long and for me the shape of my ear canal means that I am totally incapable of wearing them over-ear. The cable is pretty strange and makes you want to treat it very delicately, nice thing is its flat and doesn't get tangled easily.

Love the housings though, they are very solid stainless steel, and the finish is very pretty. Keep getting surprised by the weight. I actually like that they dont have the FAD logo silkscreened on them which leaves them looking very clean and minimalistic.

Back to sound, the soundstage is rather impressive for a single-BA and imaging is on point probably due to this IEM's flatness. However, the highs can be a fatiguing after a while as they are elevated, might try with some foams some time.

TL;DR: Neutral-bright, revealing, maintains mid-warmth, microphonic cable, good everything else, great housing build, lots of eartips inc.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #9,667 of 11,644
Wow, the more I listen to the E3000, the more they seem like legit bass head IEMs, but w/o a ton of sub bass. The bass is nice and clean. It‘s a fun sound that makes me want to crank them up to unhealthy levels. I can’t imagine what the bass on the E5000 sounds like :astonished:

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #9,668 of 11,644
Wow, the more I listen to the E3000, the more they seem like legit bass head IEMs, but w/o a ton of sub bass. The bass is nice and clean. It‘s a fun sound that makes me want to crank them up to unhealthy levels. I can’t imagine what the bass on the E5000 sounds like :astonished:

Use SpinFit tips, as they cover the ports, and really see how the E3000 is a bargain basshead dream. :wink:

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #9,669 of 11,644
Use SpinFit tips, as they cover the ports, and really see how the E3000 is a bargain basshead dream. :wink:
That actually brings up a question of mine. Is the E3000 an open-back design? What is the “C” variant of the IEMs, for example E1000C?

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #9,670 of 11,644
That actually brings up a question of mine. Is the E3000 an open-back design? What is the “C” variant of the IEMs, for example E1000C?

I believe the C version has a remote on the cable.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #9,671 of 11,644

"Open back" hardly applies to IEMs but within that limitation yes E3000 has "backside vents".
E3000C (and E2000C and E1000C) has remote control on the cable, and a microphone too.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #9,672 of 11,644

The FAD E2000 and E3000 are aggressively vented to the point of almost being "open" The E4000 and E5000 are much more isolating as they have a fancier internal design and much less venting.

As said in the comments prior to mine, the "C" purely refers to the added remote bit.

I listened to the E5000 a while ago in Japan so I cant quite remember how it sounds but I remember it being detailed and warm. Sounds better than the E4000 in mid-treble detail which gives the E5000 a sense of being "brighter" but its really just the details adding nice crispy croutons to the ceasar salad (I'm writing this just before dinner which may explain the analogy).

I also remember deciding that the E5000 was quite similar to the E2000 and E3000 in terms of maintaining the sound characteristics of an aggressively vented design being the soundstage, bass punch and less congested sounding mid-highs. However, the E2000 and E3000 are one type of design and then the E4000 and E5000 jump to a completely different design and slightly different sound so expect an odd jump going to the E4000 and then an increase in refinedness going to the E5000

I cant say much though as this was from a few listens going to various shops in Japan at the beginning of the year.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #9,674 of 11,644

I think the Spinfits put a bit too much emphasis on bass though. On the e2000, e3000 and e4000 (especially), they all lose a bit of bass definition with Spinfits and they become a bit boomy. I much prefer them with the E Series medium tips they come with OOTB. If you want more detail from all three, a more open tip will do the trick, but they lose some of that musicality they are all so good at. I do tend to use a wider tip with the e4000 with certain genres to thin out the sound a bit. Like classical music.

What I love about these three sets is they all have that very musical, smooth house sound, but have so much individuality you can enjoy all three equally. e2000 is a bit more consumer-friendly and the tighter sounding of them all. Bit darker too which makes them great for vocals. Pianos sound awesome too with a very natural striking of the keys.

The e3000 (which is my favourite) is airier, more open and slightly the more detailed due to the slightly drier, thinner sounding mids and more sparkly treble. They are a bit more recessed compared to the e2000, yet they have better separation. Drums and guitars are awesome. They have a very natural and organic tone.

The e4000 takes bits of both and adds steroids. It's GRAND, BIG and BOLD. Even though it's more expensive, by far... I wouldn't say it's a huge leap up in sound quality. BUT if you blind tested all three you'd definitely pick it out as the more technically efficient. Instruments have this extremely organic quality and the soundstage is much bigger (possibly down to greater body in its entire signature). Bass on the e4000 is for me easily the biggest and the closest you'd get to basshead levels. I couldn't say that of the other two... but that's maybe in direct comparison.

Again, the three sets are made for that sit back and relax, easy-going listen, where you can get lost in your music... which is what makes a great earphone in my opinion. e3000 is the one I go to most though.

If I was to pick a negative of each. The e2000 could do with a bit more treble extension and sparkle. The e3000 could be ever so slightly more forward in the mids and can be a little dry on certain vocals. The e4000 can be bit too forward and bass which although has accurate decay, can be a bit boomy at times and fatiguing with certain songs. Oh, in regards to power... with the same songs and equipment I listen to the e2000 at 55%, the e3000 at 70% and the e4000 at 85-90%. The e4000 can be a beast to power properly.

EDIT: I meant to say, the little rubber ear hooks they provide are excellent. Easily the best for any thinner cables you want to wear over-ear. I have never had a pair that's both comfy and keeps the cable tucked in when out and about or jogging

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #9,675 of 11,644
The e4000 takes bits of both and adds steroids. It's GRAND, BIG and BOLD. Even though it's more expensive, by far... I wouldn't say it's a huge leap up in sound quality. BUT if you blind tested all three you'd definitely pick it out as the more technically efficient. Instruments have this extremely organic quality and the soundstage is much bigger (possibly down to greater body in its entire signature). Bass on the e4000 is for me easily the biggest and the closest you'd get to basshead levels. I couldn't say that of the other two... but that's maybe in direct comparison.

If I was to pick a negative of each. The e2000 could do with a bit more treble extension and sparkle. The e3000 could be ever so slightly more forward in the mids and can be a little dry on certain vocals. The e4000 can be bit too forward and bass which although has accurate decay, can be a bit boomy at times and fatiguing with certain songs. Oh, in regards to power... with the same songs and equipment I listen to the e2000 at 55%, the e3000 at 70% and the e4000 at 85-90%. The e4000 can be a beast to power properly.

EDIT: I meant to say, the little rubber ear hooks they provide are excellent. Easily the best for any thinner cables you want to wear over-ear. I have never had a pair that's both comfy and keeps the cable tucked in when out and about or jogging

I remember from my brief listens that I preferred the E5000 for the reasons you said being that the E4000 was a bit boomy, The E5000 had an amazing balance to that bass with its mid-high frequency clarity. I was so tempted to get it... but the price jump over the E4000's...

The E5000's are even less sensitive though, not that I'm complaining; There's something awfully satisfying about insensitive/hard to drive in ears/headphones. I'm not sure if anyone else relates though. Also I had no idea that FAD included ear hooks...

I will get E5000's, once I figure out how to justify it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back