Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,881 of 11,644
Quote:
Well I've been reeled in, happily I might add, to the 1601 club. With James' help I found an SB model, and pulled the trigger this morning.

I bought them without really knowing if I even got a good price for them or not, being aware of their scarcity these days.

You guys are horrible for my wallet, and at $754 shipped to the US these are the most expensive IEMs I have ever purchased. How'd I do ?

popcorn.gif

Excellent! Was this par located in India by chance? :)

I was considering getting them because my 1601SC came with none of the plastic tip accessories and the one in India had everything. I figured I could mix and match. You may have just saved me a lot of money and I am grateful.  :)

Enjoy!

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,882 of 11,644
Glad that it works! I have been using this extensively. Even sitting on a train or airplane, I prefer it to straight down.

Let us know if it works out.

Will do. It would also help with the heavy cable not pulling them out of the deep insertion. Win-win I'd say.

I suspect you may have put shotgunshane's wallet in jeopardy. :blink:

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,883 of 11,644
Today, at a meet, I saw a recabled PFVIII. It was nice, cool experience.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,885 of 11,644
Quote:

THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT A PICTURE!

biggrin.gif

I wish I could >.< Sadly, i forgot to take pictures looking and trying out all da gear at the show. 
5 hrs goes by really fast :D.

I know some folks took alot of pics in general. Hopefully they'll post some soon.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,886 of 11,644
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,887 of 11,644
BTW, still pretty cross with you because you didn't have the money decency to get the only 'Van Halen Edition' Heaven S pair ever made.

It's okay Muzak, I know how bereft of joy you'd be without a way to listen to your favorite artist as He originally intended. He being the trinity of the Father (Van Halen), the son (David Lee Roth) and the Holy Ghost (Sammy Hagar)

Glad that it works! I have been using this extensively. Even sitting on a train or airplane, I prefer it to straight down.

Interesting insertion trick. Might give this a shot with the S' funky flat cable. I can't say I liked the flat cable on the H VI much when I borrowed Soundfreaq's pair. Why can't everything use the Flat-4 cable :l

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,888 of 11,644
AK also had their version of the Heaven 4 I believe. Has that been out for a long time?

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2,889 of 11,644
Aug 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,891 of 11,644
Quote:
Shouldn't it be, "Posts not to be taken with a pinch of salt"?

First 2 line custom title?

Custom titles aren't visible at all on the mobile site so... long live the not purposely misleading grumpy old sparrow in the future venue of digital content consumption.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #2,892 of 11,644
Quote:
I was originally thinking about getting the Heaven IV but if it sounds similar to the Basso then it must sound similar to the CKS1k as well. The V/VI are supposedly a different sound and I'm hoping you find them to be that way because I'd be a bit disappointed if the Heaven V doesn't offer me a different listening experience compared to my CKS1k.

Sorry to hear about that mixup, hope you can get it figured out soon! I don't know how you can resist listening to the VI while it's sitting in front of you, it looks absolutely beautiful. If you could compare it to your Bassos when you receive the CC version, I'll be really grateful!

Bassos do sound similar to Heaven IV, but Heaven IV does everything better across the spectrum.
Even beyond FR, Heaven IV does have much better stage and imaging.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,893 of 11,644
Quote:
Will do. It would also help with the heavy cable not pulling them out of the deep insertion. Win-win I'd say.

I suspect you may have put shotgunshane's wallet in jeopardy.
blink.gif

I'm a bit on the OCD side, so the wear style is a deterrent.

After spending a couple of days with the V, I can say without a doubt that vocals are its strong point. I think there is just a bit too much bass, so that it distracts from the awesome vocals and treble sparkle, so using Rin's measurements and test tones, I came up with this EQ:
13k, +3db, Q=2
300hz, -1db, Q=1
175hz, -3db, Q=1
100hz, -1db, Q=1

Taking some of the upper and mid bass away, really lets the rest of the spectrum shine.  Vocals sound surprisingly similar to my HD600 but the FAD is definitely warmer.  This EQ helps the ear perceive more of the treble sparkle as well.  I know most of you guys don't like to EQ but this sounds really nice, so I don't bother playing un-EQ'd with the V.

These sound great on the Heaven V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vDhrfV-7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZ1aD8nYEk

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,894 of 11,644
Bullet dodged.
biggrin.gif

Nice, midrange untouched lol.
And I agree, I come for the soundstage and imaging, but I stay for the vocals.

Liking those tracks. Never heard of him before.

I like everyone elses tracks too, for the record.
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #2,895 of 11,644
Can't be PF (PF were often pretty high, and the subject of plenty of their music often caused/causes others to feel pretty low).

BTW, still pretty cross with you because you didn't have the money decency to get the only 'Van Halen Edition' Heaven S pair ever made.
They make a van halen edition ? Are you kidding me. They are my favourite band and the best guitar player ever!!! I MUST have a pair of these if that's true. How much are they and how can I get them living in Canada??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back