Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,521 of 11,686
Ahh me grumpy little sparrow! Here is a tune for you!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgEH8Xjxpw4[/VIDEO]

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,522 of 11,686
Really, really nice track, Ian! Quite unexpected — thanks for that. (BTW, a few days ago my sister received a 'small' gift, a CD by a certain Nick Drake, courtesy of a certain "little sparrow")

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,523 of 11,686
It is eh! Dolly is really underrated I feel and the album this is on is a gem!
I am so happy as well for your sister! I feel the world is a better place with Nicks music in it!

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2,524 of 11,686
Dear Diary FAD thread,

Feeling quite a bit under the weather today — even some of Beethoven's late string quartets are doing nothing to ease the pain, that is a very bad sign. So, what has caused such upset in our lovely fragile sparrow?

1)  After posting the last music link, no-one said "Great track AND video, music!". All I got was james444's comment about my next wife, whom I've not even yet met in the flesh. Sad, really.

2)  I was called a fanboy last night — no, not a PF IX fanboy. For someone, like me, who has been very vocal and spoken several times about fanboyism, exaggeration, misinformation, shills, conflicts of interest, the cosy relationships several so-called reviewers (and the odd poster, too) have with some manufacturers, etc., to have been called a fanboy was a tremendous blow to my already disintegrating ego and a huge embarrassment to my public persona.

3)  Realising that after having ordered a new piece of gear (a new IEM), I learned that someone else I'm not too fond of had ordered the very same IEM; by the time I considered cancelling my order, I realised the IEM had been shipped already; first time ever I'm not particularly excited at the prospect of receiving a new phone — perhaps it's that part of me that is already (unconsciously?) wanting to dislike said IEM and sell it as quickly as I can.

Why would someone else's purchase effect your decision to own it? You obviously must have research throughly to have pulled the trigger!

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,526 of 11,686
Leicachamp.. You will have to get to know the sparrow more then you will see it is all in humour!

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,529 of 11,686
I just place them in, i have medium sized ears and they don't really go in at all, they just sit and I seem to get a really great sound.
A little tip is that I always clean my ears before using them with a little surgical alcohol, just the entrance of the ear, it takes away any skin oils and I find the PF's stay in place better as there is a little friction.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #2,530 of 11,686
Quote:
I am so happy as well for your sister! I feel the world is a better place with Nicks music in it!

Well, I played the album to her once and she said, "can you play the whole thing again, please?". She loved it. Next thing she knows she's received a copy (purchased at perhaps the only HMV left in London / the UK) from her brother.

Quote:
Why would someone else's purchase effect your decision to own it? You obviously must have research throughly to have pulled the trigger!

A good and very pertinent question, particularly directed at someone who's not exactly a teenybopper, in which case such attitude might be quite understandable and forgivable. The truth is that my dislike of this particular character is rather strong, and I just all of a sudden found myself wishing to cancel my order, which was a bit surprising, TBH (thinking such immature thoughts would not have an effect on me). The truth is it was an instinctual reaction and I tend to respect / pay attention to certain reactions I get, like this one... it was more or less like getting a bad smell and instantly reacting to it. I suppose in a way, in all honesty, I also felt deep down that this particular IEM will not deliver the sonics my PF IX, 1601SS, K3003 & FI-BA-SS do.

Quote:
Leicachamp.. You will have to get to know the sparrow more then you will see it is all in humour!

Some of it, yes, some of it not quite. In this particular instance, Leicachamp's question was very pertinent, spot on, actually. (seriously)

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,531 of 11,686
Quote:
Dear Diary FAD thread,

Feeling quite a bit under the weather today — even some of Beethoven's late string quartets are doing nothing to ease the pain, that is a very bad sign. So, what has caused such upset in our lovely fragile sparrow?

1)  After posting the last music link, no-one said "Great track AND video, music!". All I got was james444's comment about my next wife, whom I've not even yet met in the flesh. Sad, really.

2)  I was called a fanboy last night — no, not a PF IX fanboy. For someone, like me, who has been very vocal and spoken several times about fanboyism, exaggeration, misinformation, shills, conflicts of interest, the cosy relationships several so-called reviewers (and the odd poster, too) have with some manufacturers, etc., to have been called a fanboy was a tremendous blow to my already disintegrating ego and a huge embarrassment to my public persona.

3)  Realising that after having ordered a new piece of gear (a new IEM), I learned that someone else I'm not too fond of had ordered the very same IEM; by the time I considered cancelling my order, I realised the IEM had been shipped already; first time ever I'm not particularly excited at the prospect of receiving a new phone — perhaps it's that part of me that is already (unconsciously?) wanting to dislike said IEM and sell it as quickly as I can.

1. Due to time constraints, I am waaay behind on listening time, and your track is first on my list to get to, don't feel too badly about that!

2. I would refer to you as the anti-fanboy's fanboy, if asked.

3. How in the world did you know I ordered the Kaede instead of the 3003?!?! I swear no one else knew but me (and Dimitri)!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,532 of 11,686
Hey music_fanboy_4321 et all,

What's the FAD IEM that I should try out first? I haven't complained about a headphone being too bright and sibilant in 4 days. I'm losing momentum :)

These 169 page threads are driving me crazy even with a stellar op maintaining the first post.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2,533 of 11,686
Quote:

What's the FAD IEM that I should try out first? I haven't complained about a headphone being too bright and sibilant in 4 days. I'm losing momentum
smily_headphones1.gif

These 169 page threads are driving me crazy even with a stellar op maintaining the first post.

Broad appeal: Heaven IV-VI.
Concert hall-like presentation, but very unique/different/weird/awesome/etc.: PF series.
Ultra-detail microscope: FI-BA-SS.

As a generalization.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,534 of 11,686
Quote:

1. Due to time constraints, I am waaay behind on listening time, and your track is first on my list to get to, don't feel too badly about that!

3. How in the world did you know I ordered the Kaede instead of the 3003?!?! I swear no one else knew but me (and Dimitri)!!

1)  Sorry, but that's no excuse.

3)  I do dislike woodcans—and particularly dislike those pretty awful and mediocre pics he sometimes posts in this thread—but I don't dislike him that much, certainly not enough to make me wish to cancel an order for a new phone.

Quote:

What's the FAD IEM that I should try out first? I haven't complained about a headphone being too bright and sibilant in 4 days. I'm losing momentum
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's some unsolicited advice I gave someone a couple of days ago. Do note, however, that I rarely make such suggestions to people and there's no guarantee the person I made those comments to will actually enjoy the phone I suggested at all, so I'd strongly advise them to do quite a bit of research beforehand as they may be in for a real sonic shock if they decide to make a purchase… but there is a chance they may also see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back