Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 20, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #3,901 of 4,881
I recently bought an Audiophile Ninja cable for my D8KP and it seems there's 3.5mm plugs with the locking mechanism already, I'm not sure if they create'em themselves but the locking thing is made of plastic and you can tell it is not an HQ 3D printed version but it works

I'll look around and see if I can find'em, China probably makes these already

You can get these connectors online from China. I've seen it a few times but not sure if it was on AliExpress. I guess so.
Other solution is buying a stock cable from the lower tier sonorus headphones and rip the connectors from there. I've seen a few on the 2nd hand market and they were like 20/30€. Not that they are easy to find, but some pop up from time to time.
Meze 3,5 connectors from their cheaper cables also work with Final models.

May 20, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #3,903 of 4,881
Can you take a picture of the headphone plugs? I mean the ones on cable from FAW.
As reference point.

I already asked Mateusz if he can change the connectors for me, but he unfortunatey does not have time to deal with third-party cables. So I have to deal with myself. I bought a soldering iron and other tools. Going to be fun :xf_cool:

20230520_004052.jpg
I bought this one, but it doesn't seem to fit. It is too short and the black cover tip does not fit in the hole of the headphone plug.
OK, here are 3 pictures of my FAW connector cables. Note the male 3-pin mini-XLR jacks on one side; and the long, narrow-shaft 3.5mm jacks on the headphone side. Because these jacks have a relatively narrow metal shaft just behind the actual male jack piece, they slide right past the Final D8K's internal locking mechanism.

P1010568 (re-sized).jpg

P1010567 (re-sized).jpg

P1010569 (re-sized).jpg

May 20, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #3,904 of 4,881
I want to convert silver cable (Lavricables) to my D8000pro, but I can't find the connectors anywhere.
I like this cable, left me after sold Empyreans.

I tested also cables from Sony Z1R. But they do not fit, even from FAW with narrow connectors. Just a slight pull and they fall out.
And also the plugs are TRS from Sony. And the D8000s have 3.5mm mono TS. I don't know if that matters.

What company is making right connectors? Are there any at all?
https://bispa.co.jp/2072
002072-00-SRnLbSjt80ohKaQ6Qfs6Mw.jpg

The connector works with D8000Pro, YH-5000SE, and Sony Z7/Z1R.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #3,905 of 4,881
OK, here are 3 pictures of my FAW connector cables. Note the male 3-pin mini-XLR jacks on one side; and the long, narrow-shaft 3.5mm jacks on the headphone side. Because these jacks have a relatively narrow metal shaft just behind the actual male jack piece, they slide right past the Final D8K's internal locking mechanism.

Ok, thanks! I can imagine better now. Interesting that this FAW 3.5 jack is TRRS. And original D8K cable jack is only TS. Would have to check it with multimeter, but it seems to me that the additional rings are empty (not connected).

Is this cable with this adapters 3-pin mini-XLR not too heavy?
This is an interesting solution, because you can have one cable with adapters for different headphones. The only question is weight and comfort of use.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #3,907 of 4,881
it seems to me that the additional rings are empty (not connected).
I think that's right. My guess is it's easier for Matt @Forza to procure 3.5mm with exactly the right characteristics for D8K connection (long & narrow 3.5mm shaft) in TRSS than in straight TS.

Forza Noir HCP copper cables look heavy but actually are rather light and very flexible. They have next to no microphonics that I can hear. Really fine cables... FAW also offers a silver/copper hybrid cable, though that was never my interest.

May 20, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #3,909 of 4,881
This is very interesting. What is on the other side of this connector?

BTW, I can't get this URL to work.
I found there was a formatting issue with the URL and now it's fixed: https://bispa.co.jp/2072
The part no is BSP-STMP-015PR4L. Another pic on the website FYI
002072-01-HR_4raI4ihlWZBBjoWsZ1Q.jpg

May 21, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #3,910 of 4,881
I think that's right. My guess is it's easier for Matt @Forza to procure 3.5mm with exactly the right characteristics for D8K connection (long & narrow 3.5mm shaft) in TRSS than in straight TS.

Forza Noir HCP copper cables look heavy but actually are rather light and very flexible. They have next to no microphonics that I can hear. Really fine cables... FAW also offers a silver/copper hybrid cable, though that was never my interest.
I completely agree. I also have several FAW cables, including 3 Hybrid Noir. I asked about additional 3pin mini XLR adapters what you have in this cable. Does it affect weight and comfort?

One Hybrid Noir I have is for Sony Z1R and plugs fit also Final D8Kpro.
20230521_095749.jpg

But it's not perfect. The plugs fall out easily, they are probably too short and too narrow. Sometimes something does not connect and there is no signal on one side and you have to turn the plug so that the connectors touch correctly.
That's why I started looking for longer plugs. Preferably mono TS or TRS but extended. PLUSSOUND have something interesting:
https://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/...ld-Plated-3-5mm-Extended-Connector-p250587746

May 21, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #3,911 of 4,881
I copy this here from a Facebook group post, made by Kazi Mahbub:

"The tuning isn't final, pardon the pun, but will be by the end of the year, approximately Q3 or beginning of Q4. The design, however, is what you see here. The finish might change to a mirror-finish (i.e. similar to A8000) but that's about it. The earpads are silicone too, if you are wondering, and they are like that for a reason.

While we couldn't listen to them, the reps were willing to get into the design details and some reasons as to why this is their new flagship and a game-changer.

• Incredibly light weight shell which is a mix of stainless steel and a probably the toughest Titanium alloy available (which requires special ordering). The magnet array is suspended by this Titanium alloy cage and the entire magnet assembly + diaphragm is much thinner compared to the usual planar magnetic offerings. This is also the reason why they have to use custom cable connectors that match the thin housing. All of these result in a 220g weight, which is perhaps the lightest planar flagship out there.
  • The headband is also a unique stainless steel shape-memory alloy. They did not divulge much information about this but only mentioned that it needed custom formulation.
  • Then we get to the drivers. The details we got: planar magnetic driver, only air-film damping is used, with no usual damping materials put in the front or back of the driver. The final product should have a protective mesh in front to keep dust and debris out, which will be acoustically transparent.
  • The earpads are silicone and are shaped like that to contour around the ears rather than being "on ear". The driver housing being much smaller than usual, this was the solution they came up with. I put it on and had one of my colleagues try it as well, and the comfort was an absolute non-issue. The clamp was slightly high but nothing uncomfortable. The top headband doesn't really deal with much weight and is not supposed to have any leather or foam materials on top.
  • The sound is supposed to be on a very different level from the D8000 Pro LE. I asked if it is similar to the Yamaha YH-5000SE and the answer was basically "it's so much better". It was hinted that these are better than even a properly driven Stax SR-X9000. Well, quite a bold claim.
Price will be above 5000 euros, but most likely will fall in the 6000 euros price bracket (Stax SR-X9000 pricing, basically). So definitely targeted at the summit-fi market. Kinda bummer for sure, but it is what it is."

348429125_2255562744629803_3466534302028740424_n.jpg
348469053_550703923806159_1236979744774249789_n.jpg

I can see, at 220g it does not really matter if there is a headband or not. Yet, until the end of 2023 many things can still change.

May 21, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #3,912 of 4,881

"The tuning isn't final, pardon the pun, but will be by the end of the year, approximately Q3 or beginning of Q4. The design, however, is what you see here. The finish might change to a mirror-finish (i.e. similar to A8000) but that's about it. The earpads are silicone too, if you are wondering, and they are like that for a reason.

While we couldn't listen to them, the reps were willing to get into the design details and some reasons as to why this is their new flagship and a game-changer.

• Incredibly light weight shell which is a mix of stainless steel and a probably the toughest Titanium alloy available (which requires special ordering). The magnet array is suspended by this Titanium alloy cage and the entire magnet assembly + diaphragm is much thinner compared to the usual planar magnetic offerings. This is also the reason why they have to use custom cable connectors that match the thin housing. All of these result in a 220g weight, which is perhaps the lightest planar flagship out there.
  • The headband is also a unique stainless steel shape-memory alloy. They did not divulge much information about this but only mentioned that it needed custom formulation.
  • Then we get to the drivers. The details we got: planar magnetic driver, only air-film damping is used, with no usual damping materials put in the front or back of the driver. The final product should have a protective mesh in front to keep dust and debris out, which will be acoustically transparent.
  • The earpads are silicone and are shaped like that to contour around the ears rather than being "on ear". The driver housing being much smaller than usual, this was the solution they came up with. I put it on and had one of my colleagues try it as well, and the comfort was an absolute non-issue. The clamp was slightly high but nothing uncomfortable. The top headband doesn't really deal with much weight and is not supposed to have any leather or foam materials on top.
  • The sound is supposed to be on a very different level from the D8000 Pro LE. I asked if it is similar to the Yamaha YH-5000SE and the answer was basically "it's so much better". It was hinted that these are better than even a properly driven Stax SR-X9000. Well, quite a bold claim.
Price will be above 5000 euros, but most likely will fall in the 6000 euros price bracket (Stax SR-X9000 pricing, basically). So definitely targeted at the summit-fi market. Kinda bummer for sure, but it is what it is."

I can see, at 220g it does not really matter if there is a headband or not. Yet, until the end of 2023 many things can still change.
I am seriously considering purchasing these directly in Japan as I'll be there by the time they get released, it is an insane amount of money but I'll seriously consider it... A8000 finish? what the..., really?? silicone earpads? º_.

220 grs?? hahahaha, much better than the Yamaha? crazy claims, is this real life

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #3,913 of 4,881

Thanks for the detailed info.
If that's gonna be almost the final design, Im not a fan at all, specially the silicone pads, which doesn't sound very good to me if you gonna use them in hot places.
That said, if they improve the D8K sound, with that weight, it could be a game changer. But when you reduce weight, you gotta make some sacrifices... We'll see.

May 21, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #3,915 of 4,881

I love this design...
gouvernail-deco-murale.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back