Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #3,391 of 4,999
For the D8000 Non Pro owners, is the silver version easy to find? It seems like it is mostly available on the Pro version although I can see some Non Pro silver versions in the EU and Japan. Unfortunately here in Aus and Southeast Asia region it is almost non existent.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #3,392 of 4,999
For the D8000 Non Pro owners, is the silver version easy to find? It seems like it is mostly available on the Pro version although I can see some Non Pro silver versions in the EU and Japan. Unfortunately here in Aus and Southeast Asia region it is almost non existent.
I have black. I listened black version in store and the people alwyas have black too. Never seen silver. In Poland silver are not in stock too i think but looks available. Propably you must speak directly with distributor and make the specific order for silver one.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3,393 of 4,999
Bass in D8000 is one of the best you can find in hp's. Its gonna be very hard to find something that compete or better. Even my Master 1 have no chance. I was not hearing GH50, 1266 and these Victor cans, but i do hearing Ultrasone Tribute 7. Bass in them its a pure destruction energy but overall Ultrasone tuning, especially midrange and creation of the space, hmmm... questionable. But they are closed back also dynamic drivers. When i ask questions like yours and speak what i like and want, i always got the same answer: Abyss 1266 :D
I can think of 2 planars that really bring the bass, and they couldn't be more different:
  • ZMF Ori: Discontinued years ago & very rarely come up F.S. because people like me hold onto their Ori at all costs. The bass is simply fantastic. I like the entire frequency range a lot, but the bass is king. A great example of the kind of pressurized, sandbags-laying-against-your-eardrums bass only planar drivers can deliver.
  • Abyss 1266: Yep, the bass is spectacular, maybe the best. But this headphone costs silly money and comfort-wise is an implement of torture. I could never live with it. I also read occasional comments about things sounding somewhat bright & wonky in upper mids.
Where does my D8000 with the "G" pads fit? Just below the Ori in terms of pure bass power and impact. D8000 bass is about as good tonally and in terms of texture as bass gets w/o being overtly boosted.

But the D8000 is the better headphone: it's open, which I prefer; tuned neutral and very detailed, but with a dash of warmth that stops it from being oppressive. The comfort needs some modding (underband helps) and rolling the stock pads to the Pro's "G" pads improved the sound somewhat from top to bottom, making it a bit less dry. The bass benefited the most from the pad swap...it just plain got better.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,394 of 4,999
Whats the hardest hitting ZMF headhpones right now? Eikon? I was not hearing any of them.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #3,395 of 4,999
Whats the hardest hitting ZMF headhpones right now? Eikon? I was not hearing any of them.
I've heard them all by now:
  • spend the least time w/the Atticus
  • owned & loved the Eikon (sold because closed backs aggravate migraine & tinnitus)
  • own & love the Aeolus & Verite Open
  • owned & greatly admire the Atrium
  • heard the Auteur a number of times; and yesterday, heard the Classic
  • had a loaner Caldera last year, another on the way
I'd have to say in terms of sheer dynamic impact and legit sub-bass below a very accurate & punchy entire bass range--it's the Eikon going away. I kinda miss that headphone. The mids & treble are "ZMF neutral," which means they're very slightly warm but also very detailed. There is something special about a biocellulose driver.

Next would be a tie between the Atrium & Auteur Classic. Both have excellent bass. The Atrium is more of a "goldilocks" headphone (everything sounds wonderful) while the Atrium Classic is more neutral.

I'm leaving out the Ori (which I also own & love to pieces) because it's basically unobtanium at this point, even on the used market.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #3,396 of 4,999
I'm not sure about ordering directly from Final in Japan, but all of the stores seemed to only stock the black non-pro. For example, at Yodobashi:
https://www.yodobashi.com/?word=D8000
There are D8000s floating around out at retail, but only in black. Seems like the silver is almost a custom order. Heck, even stores like Bic Camera list the black regular D8000 as "scheduled to ship in June." My pair came from EdIon in Kyoto, and they had just the one single pair of the D8000 in black.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #3,397 of 4,999
If you haven't heard any of them, first you should figure out of you like ZMF sound at all. ZMF to me is a very natural, lifelike sound with excellent timbre and texture. I really like Zach as a person, entrepreneur, I love the design of all his headphones but I am yet to really connect with the sound.

To me Atticus and Eikon were in all honesty a bit of a disappointment. I was more able to see the Atticus as a choice for someone who likes a punchy, bass heavy closed back with a natural tone, but Eikon's tuning was a bit puzzling and off to me. I found the Aeolus more balanced than these two, but not as special as I expected for the price. Tone was still nice, but space, speed, impact were all lacking.

From all the ZMF I mentioned so far, the Verité open sounded the best. Resolution was finally there, space was smaller but staging was accurate compared to other headphones in the price range. Finally I understood what ZMF is about: wonderful tone, timbre, 'woody', natural sound. With the Verité finally resolution and detail were there as well, although in a rather intimate space.

I dislike many flagships from other manufacturers, but ZMF despite my experience so far kept my interest and attention due to the lifelike and sweet tonality of their headphones and Zach's general awesomeness. (Not to mention lifetime warranty on drivers.)
I can't wait to audition the Atrium and Caldera as those might finally convert me to ZMF. Or might not. I still want to try them badly. :)

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #3,398 of 4,999

The new Atrium Closed (released at CanJam NYC but not available elsewhere yet) is the most booming bass I've heard from a ZMF headphone (owned most of then and demoed the rest extensively). If you're looking for sheer bass volume out of a ZMF, this is the ticket.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #3,399 of 4,999
The new Atrium Closed (released at CanJam NYC but not available elsewhere yet) is the most booming bass I've heard from a ZMF headphone (owned most of then and demoed the rest extensively). If you're looking for sheer bass volume out of a ZMF, this is the ticket.
How do you like sonorous VI?

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #3,400 of 4,999
Have you also heard the Z1R?

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #3,401 of 4,999
How do you like sonorous VI?

Not much at all. It had a very odd tonality, was lacking bass and was fatiguing to me. The positives was a wide soundstage for a closed-back and if you like treble, it had a lot of treble. It also had weak isolation for a closed-back and YMMV with the comfort.

Have you also heard the Z1R?

Unfortunately, I've never heard the Z1R, but I've heard it's quite a bass cannon.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #3,402 of 4,999
Bass Cannon is unfair. It just places bass as the first and foremost- I listened to a pair for a while and remember being really impressed. Bass, sure, but never muddy or untextured. I think for the right person there might be nothing better.

Flipside, I've never heard the sonorous VI but if it sounds anything like the sonorous III, I'd hate it. The sonorous III is absolutely dreadful sounding. I just have no idea what anyone was thinking with those.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #3,403 of 4,999
I would have a look at the Stealth as well. It's not something you're looking for, but you might find, like I did, that it's something you didn't know you want :)

63B90B41-F9EE-497F-B63C-3926BD3048A4 (1).jpeg
Been comparing them for the past week. Or if you want subwoofer bass, the Z1R :)

Let me guess, black is your favorite color, isn't it :D ?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back