Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #3,046 of 4,852
Demoing is highly encouraged as usual. IMO, if one has the budget (and I'd assume one does when they're purchasing in the summit-fi level), they should go for the D8K Pro LE instead of the regular Pro, simply because it looks phenomenal and that case is quite substantial. The $700 premium is "worth it" in the sense that you get a limited edition product, and something that doubles as audio jewelry lol (not that the other D8Ks are any slouch in that department).

By the by, the D8K Pro LE sounded tasty out of tube amps. On the Cayin HA-6A in Triode mode, these sounded as good as anything.
I did have the regular Pro version at one point and still think of them fondly. The LE perked my interest because they look absolutely bloody lovely. If I see them locally, I'll certainly demo.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,047 of 4,852
The funny thing is, the Pro limited edition and the regular Pro edition sounds similar, if not the same. "15% improvement" is a proper baseless claim. I auditioned both extensively in this year's high-end Munich and later at a local store. The LE feels better on the head due to the pads, but again, I couldn't feel any change in sound.

Moreover, I discussed at length with Final reps at the show, and they stressed and re-iterated the fact that only the pads and colorway are changed, rest are exactly the same. Included accessories are also better in a sense, and that's why they are selling it for some premium over the OG D8K Pro. Not because it "sounds better".

I guess each to their own. 1266TC have probably the worst tuned mids and treble I have heard in a summit-fi headphone. No amount of bass slam or soundstage will rectify those shortcomings. But hey, as mentioned, each to their own.
I won't take your ears for it.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,048 of 4,852
I really liked D8000 Pro LE, definetly best Final headphones so far but still they are not at the same level as 1266 TC.
the abyss TC, the susvara and the raal sr1a are kind of in their own class...there are tons of other outstanding HP's that I can understand people liking for their own subjective reasons as much or better but I have yet to hear anything better than these 3...one man's opinion

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #3,049 of 4,852
I can't describe how happy I am with it, such an amazing machine, the D8000 Pro finally woke up and started delivering. It's just a musical wonder. I highly recommend his tube amp, and he also has SS amps with a smaller footprint. I can't believe he's only charging 785$ for it.
I am very glad you decided to try D8000 Pro on a SET tube amp before parting ways with it. I never heard of this brand, but I will, for sure, read more about them.

Dec 31, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #3,050 of 4,852
I am very glad you decided to try D8000 Pro on a SET tube amp before parting ways with it. I never heard of this brand, but I will, for sure, read more about them.
You won't regret it, it's a steal for that price, and the service is wonderful and personal.

I have just been ordered one of their SS Amps as well. The prices are more than fair.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #3,051 of 4,852
Finally, I found the solution to the problem.
Believe it or not, the Burson Conductor 3xp isn't adequate for driving the D8000 Pro.
I was sure an amp from such a recognized brand must be up to the task, but the D8000 Pro sounds terrible with it, lifeless, and it always feels like you need to turn up the volume, but it never helps.

I was ready to give up on the D8000 Pro, but then I tried it with an old second hand Little Dot MKVI+ I found, and they sounded quite nice with it, but it had a loud hiss and I decided to return it the same day. After some research I met Ninitn, owner of Anode Acoustics, and decided to order his #1 headphone amp.

I can't describe how happy I am with it, such an amazing machine, the D8000 Pro finally woke up and started delivering. It's just a musical wonder. I highly recommend his tube amp, and he also has SS amps with a smaller footprint. I can't believe he's only charging 785$ for it.

1.jpg

2.jpg
It is beautiful and I'm happy for you, I was about to give up with HA-6A but HA-3A was it, my end game. D8000 Pro NEEDS tubes.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,052 of 4,852
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #3,053 of 4,852
I'll verify that when I get their SS amp#2: http://anodeacoustics.in/index.php/solid-state-hp-amplifier/
It suppose to be on the warm side, maybe more that their tube amp, smooth and musical.

Isn't the HA-6A a better and bigger version of the HA-3A? You're saying the more expensive model was inferior?
I got Kinki THR-1 which is SS on the warm side and it is amazing, big body, liquid, tubey, musical you name it.

HA-6A is in fact better than HA-3A (with the right valves) but I had no room for volume without using attenuators which I wouldn't use, step 1 was already loud. HA-3A uses less current and potentiometer is an ALPS so my problem was solved and I can really enjoy it. With the right valves (which I got) it is very similar to HA-6A and I just love it.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #3,054 of 4,852
I got Kinki THR-1 which is SS on the warm side and it is amazing, big body, liquid, tubey, musical you name it.

HA-6A is in fact better than HA-3A (with the right valves) but I had no room for volume without using attenuators which I wouldn't use, step 1 was already loud. HA-3A uses less current and potentiometer is an ALPS so my problem was solved and I can really enjoy it. With the right valves (which I got) it is very similar to HA-6A and I just love it.
It appears this is what is needed to enjoy the D8000 Pro, with the Burson it was very bad, no EQ could fix it.
That amp looks very nice, enjoy.

Jan 3, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #3,056 of 4,852
I may be listing my D8000 soon...although I love the sound, I wear headphones for hours each day and the weight seems to be causing some chronic neck pain.

Any ideas on what this would sell for? Mint in box, brand new F pads (still in box), G pads have very little wear, another set of F pads (a bit more worn than I'd like to use), Silbian's leather headband, and an Audiophile Ninja custom XLR cable.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #3,057 of 4,852

Sorry to draw your (especially @Pharmaboy) attention back to him but I find it too funny that there is this one channel with this one video.. Technically he blurred out his face, right. Plus he has shown his name, haha!

I guess it's the same with most reviewers. Some brands/models are not discussed... why? money!

4 diamonds for what it's worth but since the beginning of this thread there seems to be a consensus not to overlook the D8ks.

Z also has a YT cooking channel and given his belly, he's a great cook as well. :fork_knife_plate:

Like the saying goes: "whatever you do, enjoy the music."

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3,058 of 4,852
Sorry to draw your (especially @Pharmaboy) attention back to him but I find it too funny that there is this one channel with this one video.. Technically he blurred out his face, right. Plus he has shown his name, haha!

I guess it's the same with most reviewers. Some brands/models are not discussed... why? money!

4 diamonds for what it's worth but since the beginning of this thread there seems to be a consensus not to overlook the D8ks.

Z also has a YT cooking channel and given his belly, he's a great cook as well. :fork_knife_plate:

Like the saying goes: "whatever you do, enjoy the music."

(sound of forehead repeatedly hitting desktop)

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #3,059 of 4,852
It is beautiful and I'm happy for you, I was about to give up with HA-6A but HA-3A was it, my end game. D8000 Pro NEEDS tubes.
I’m not so sure about this, well I guess I mean it’s certainly not a clear winner for SET tubes in my experience. My upgraded Woo 5LE with very good 300B tubes has just been unplugged as I recently picked up a great value used Headamp GS-X Mk II. The D8K Pro’s fed by my R2R DAC may be sounding as full, fast and lovely as I think I’ve ever heard them with this solid state amplification. I’m seriously considering selling the tube amp…

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #3,060 of 4,852
I’m not so sure about this, well I guess I mean it’s certainly not a clear winner for SET tubes in my experience. My upgraded Woo 5LE with very good 300B tubes has just been unplugged as I recently picked up a great value used Headamp GS-X Mk II. The D8K Pro’s fed by my R2R DAC may be sounding as full, fast and lovely as I think I’ve ever heard them with this solid state amplification. I’m seriously considering selling the tube amp…
I haven't probably used the right SS amp for my D8K Pro besides the Kinki which is not as fast and dynamic as HA-3A being SET but I love it very much

My best SS amp is the Sparkos Aries but I don't think it is the right match, very detailed HP with extremely detailed amp, I honestly prefer SET and will probably keep the HA-3A as long as it lasts. GS-X MKII looks amazing btw

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back