Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,012 of 4,847
Mine are the D8000 Pros and I have heard many cans, Susvaras, Focals etc...IMO the D8000 Pro is right there in the mix...no questions for me....all great cans.
But the overall tonality of the 8000 Pro for me is it...I sold all the others.

Since adding the Soekris 2541 and iFi Pro DSD dacs...its heavenly...no second guessing or looking back here...home at last!!

lol

Alex

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,013 of 4,847
My guess reading your signature is that you consider the 1266 as a better substitute of your D8K. Is that assumption correct?
No, 1266 is special HP all above everything else. I choose Utopia as better vs D8k.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,014 of 4,847
Mine are the D8000 Pros and I have heard many cans, Susvaras, Focals etc...IMO the D8000 Pro is right there in the mix...no questions for me....all great cans.
It is true, just like @Pharmaboy said the D8K combines a very high level of resolution and technicalities with some thick musicality and fun. Extremely rare combination at this level of headphones. To me the Utopia for example has this high level of technicalities but somewhat lacks musical engagement. The Empyrean is all about getting lost in music but have to admit they are somewhat lost in the forest when it comes to technical comparison versus the Utopia or D8K.
The D8K seems like the best balance of these two approaches I came across so far.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2,015 of 4,847

Since adding the Soekris 2541 and iFi Pro DSD dacs...its heavenly...no second guessing or looking back here...home at last!!

lol

Alex
This post is another proof that the D8K reflects your system's capabilities extremely well (in other words, scales better). I double this assessment.
The difference I hear on the D8K with better amps and DACs is definitely more significant than with the LCD-X or Empyrean for example.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #2,016 of 4,847
It is true, just like @Pharmaboy said the D8K combines a very high level of resolution and technicalities with some thick musicality and fun. Extremely rare combination at this level of headphones. To me the Utopia for example has this high level of technicalities but somewhat lacks musical engagement. The Empyrean is all about getting lost in music but have to admit they are somewhat lost in the forest when it comes to technical comparison versus the Utopia or D8K.
The D8K seems like the best balance of these two approaches I came across so far.
@Currawong said something similar about the D8K Pro in his review, like a mix of Utopia and Empyrean but better

This post is another proof that the D8K reflects your system's capabilities extremely well (in other words, scales better). I double this assessment.
The difference I hear on the D8K with better amps and DACs is definitely more significant than with the LCD-X or Empyrean for example.
I'm even noticing a change with the USB cable, it is crazy and I know how the digital world works.... This HPs scales with anything you throw at it

I will be adding Iris to the Pontus using I2S next week, will give impressions here, I really doubt I can improve my system anymore but for 400€ it is worth a try

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,017 of 4,847

lol

Alex
Nice, you have a similar chain to what I have; a nice delta sigma/FPGA DAC and a R2R DAC for a different flavor of sound. I have the XIAudio Sagra DAC which is based on the Soekris circuit and it sounds amazing. Then I have the Chord Dave.

I agree with what you said. The D8K Pro's sit right in the mix with the other TOTL headphones in my opinion. I have a good number of them and the D8K Pro's is easily in my top 5 of best headphones I have heard.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,018 of 4,847
My custom XLR cable for the D8K has finally arrived and I am happy with it.

Currently I use the Burson Soloist 3XP amp and I obviously used it with different headphones and cables previously. With the Empyrean for example I had two aftermarket cables, one with 6.35mm (1/4 inch for you guys in the USA) and one with XLR from the same manufacturer so I can exclude cable differences when it comes to judging the headphone outputs on the 3XP.

Unlike many other amps I tried the difference between the Soloist 3XP's outputs is not as huge, but still clearly audible. It is one thing that the XLR output has twice the power; the difference usually comes down to amp topology or alternate circuits these headphone outputs use on different amps.
In general I usually find the XLR outputs on amps cleaner, clearer and more dynamic, more balanced versus the slightly warmer but less clear SE output. This is the case with the Soloist 3XP as well, although to a smaller extent than for example with the Taurus MKII.

What I am saying is that the cleaner, clearer, more dynamic and slightly brighter sound is not really down to my new XLR cable but to the amp's output.
The bass is better balanced, not as overwhelming as it occasionally can be on SE output. Vocals are a bit more forward and warmer in SE, cleaner, clearer in BAL. The overall sound presentation is clearer and more neutral in BAL. (Clarity versus a warmer but less refined tone in a nutshell.)

That said I am happy with the ergonomics and lightness of the cable I bought, although did not have real qualms with the stock 6.35mm cable either. The 3.5mm connectors fit the D8K very well. They are firm, not easy to pull them out (just had to make sure I ask the manufacturer for the elongated 3.5mm plugs for the connectors to pass Final's locking mechanism). It feels as secure as it gets and looks just fine.

In a couple of days I will try to post some pictures.

On a different note in a week or so I should have the new iFi Pro iCan Signature with me to test it with the Empyrean and D8K and comparing it to the Soloist 3XP. Fun times ahead. :)

I did some cable A/B today and the Custom Cans cable is really close to the Final upgrade cable. The Final cable still gives a bit extra bass control, separation and clarity in the upper range. It's subtle, but quite audible. Let's not forget we are comparing a $120 cable to a $700 cable...that Custom cans cable is a smashing value IMO.

I haven't compared the Triton cable to the silver Final cable on balanced output yet but out of SE they sounded extremely similar.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,019 of 4,847
Soon will give these a listen to check for incremental sonic upgrades via balanced amping + cable. I suspect there will be at least some sonic benefit, given how much resolution this headphone has...high resolution, but also musical (a rare thing).

Yes, D8000s are as much into resolution as they're into fun and that's rare indeed. Matt's hybrid Noir cables work really well with those cans. Lots of information and smoothness.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,020 of 4,847
100% agreed. The resolution on these cans is up with the Utopia, LCD4. I have to add though that the D8K reflects the capability of your system better than most other headphones. They really improve with higher-end gear (clarity, resolution, detail, balance, dynamics).

That said, I highly recommend any D8K owners to upgrade for the pro (G) earpads and use these headphones with balanced amps. I wonder how different the D8Kpro would sound but I assume the difference between the D8K and D8Kpro with my earpad change and current balanced setup is less than I think. And I also have a feeling with all these improvements I personally would prefer the D8K's sound signature versus the pro.

G pads suit the D8k really well...and the F pads suit the D8k Pros really well 😂.

Not trying to be a mad scientist but yeah the pad swap and some light EQ makes the Pros and the 8k really really close. Main differences are:

- Bigger bass on the D8k versus better bass control on the Pros
- Vocals clearly more forward on the D8k, especially male
- Treble is smoother on the Pros
- overall better imaging on the Pros versus more expansive stage on the D8k

Both are unbelievable tbh.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #2,021 of 4,847
My ForzaAudioWorks Noir HPC MK2 cable connectors arrived today. They work securely with the D8K's input jacks (that's a relief!). Just set them up w/my 2M Noir HPC MK2 cable to burn in for 1-2 days on the V281.

Soon will give these a listen to check for incremental sonic upgrades via balanced amping + cable. I suspect there will be at least some sonic benefit, given how much resolution this headphone has...high resolution, but also musical (a rare thing).

That’s good to know. I use an FAW noir hybrid with my hekv2. I like it. I might think about one for the d8kpro

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #2,022 of 4,847
Sorry but in terms of technicales D8000 is not near Utopia.

I'd be curious for more details about what you experienced on your system with what music. For me, I felt the detail from the Utopias is more "macro" while the D8k Pro deliver more micro detail. Of course, if you nail system synergy (and music synergy) with a particular pair of headphones, I find that nothing beats that.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #2,023 of 4,847
Utopia are great with metal music (D8k too) and synergy with my gear is just on spot! When i A/B Utopia and D8k i just know that Focal shines more. Maybe i just get bored with D8k is the case too :wink:

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #2,024 of 4,847
So much depends on partnering equipment including cables and supports. I noticed a definite improvement in sound with 009s when changing the support that my mains block sits on…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back