Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 2, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #1,023 of 4,860
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,025 of 4,860
like is it a close 2nd ? cuz I don't see anything to complain about on this headphone

oh, yes, the Utopia is a fantastic headphone, but after I bought my D8000, I found I rarely used the Utopia anymore since the D8000 has an overall tuning that is more appealing to my ears. So I sold it to help fund an IEM purchase.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,026 of 4,860
oh, yes, the Utopia is a fantastic headphone, but after I bought my D8000, I found I rarely used the Utopia anymore since the D8000 has an overall tuning that is more appealing to my ears. So I sold it to help fund an IEM purchase.
I was talking about build quality on the d8000

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,027 of 4,860
I was talking about build quality on the d8000

oh, sorry about that, early morning for me. The Utopia has a more luxurious build compared to the rather spartan design of the D8000. The one issue I have with the D8000 are the pads. I did get a set of the Pro pads which are a definite improvement build wise, yet still, the nylon-like material on the outer edges easily snags, for me anyway.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #1,028 of 4,860
oh, sorry about that, early morning for me. The Utopia has a more luxurious build compared to the rather spartan design of the D8000. The one issue I have with the D8000 are the pads. I did get a set of the Pro pads which are a definite improvement build wise, yet still, the nylon-like material on the outer edges easily snags, for me anyway.
gotcha I guess having the pros I didn't experience that, I wonder if anyone has pad swapped and or what is compatible ?

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #1,030 of 4,860
Its common issue with D8000 when you play too loud.
You must return them to service.
D8000 Pro don't have that issue.

Nov 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,031 of 4,860
One of the ear cups of my D8000 recently produces a rattling noise when it plays deep bass. Sounds like there is something hitting the pads from inside. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

The planar drivers are hitting the magnets. This becomes especially noticeable with bass heavy music. The release of the Pro version was to address this issue for those that play at higher volume levels.

The Pro has this same issue, but due to having ~6dB more headroom, it shows itself way less.

In speaking with my friend at final, they were taken aback by the volume levels American listeners play at.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,032 of 4,860
Its common issue with D8000 when you play too loud.
You must return them to service.
D8000 Pro don't have that issue.

No need for service unless one purposely kept playing their D8000 at too high a level so now the distortion is present at lower levels. Final will cover this under their 2 year warranty.

The distortion one hears is due to the drivers hitting the magnets.

Nov 8, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,034 of 4,860
Are you sure? My friend return D8000 because even on low volume he hear this rattling.

Then the drivers are damaged.

I bought my D8000 soon after it was released, and I ended up damaging the drivers listening to bass heavy music. The US distributor was kind enough to replace them under warranty, and I haven’t had the issue repeat itself, no doubt to my now careful listening habits.

I did a review on comparing the D8000 and the Pro which goes into more detail about this phenomenon.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,035 of 4,860
Hi all!

recently I auditioned D8000 regular and pro versions. While regular one was too bass heavy to me, the pro one sounded appealing. I am going to borrow a test pair from local audio store for testing at home with my gear and music.

I am concerned about driver hitting magnets issue. Some people say it is not present in Pro while some say it is. Is it something I can test by getting a bass heavy song? Do you recommend a particular one? Is it something that damages drivers instantly or after some time? Is someone able to explain how they behave while playing loud bass and how careful I should be? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back