Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,111 of 4,852
final acknowledged that D8000 is not intended for extreme loud sound.
That membrane hitting in extreme volume is known issue.
I’ve read that a lucky guy had his driver adjusted by final to high membrane tension for larger playing capability.
I think I read that on user review in Japanese. I don’t think that modification could be applied to everybody though.

Seen notice at the show saying not intended to play in the extreme volume as well.
This testimony being quite relevant.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,112 of 4,852
Sorry about that :sweat_smile:

Thank you very much. First time you encounter the issue ? I tend to think that @jwbrent has been right all along in that it's a conception limitation. Those who don't notice it either benefit from unit variation or don't push the volume high enough, I'm guessing.
I guess it is mainly volume setting.

I always think that I hear quite loud already, but basically all my friends listen significantly louder

Listening volume is very subjective, basically none of us measure it.
And since most of us use a different chain we also can't really use x o'clock volume knob settings to compare.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,113 of 4,852
Exactly

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,115 of 4,852
Yes, the original owner is in contact with final. I'll keep you posted.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,116 of 4,852
Thank you very much. First time you encounter the issue ? I tend to think that @jwbrent has been right all along in that it's a conception limitation. Those who don't notice it either benefit from unit variation or don't push the volume high enough, I'm guessing.

I spent a lot of time talking to the final US distributor as well as a key member of final’s management team about the D8000/Pro issue with elevated bass recordings, and there can be unit to unit variation in production, although slight from what I was told. I think the reason why some have reported they’ve never had this problem is they don’t listen at levels which cause the drivers to hit the magnets, >95dB in my estimation. The other cause may be not having enough power to properly drive the D8000/Pro which can cause the amplifier to clip thereby producing the distortion due to loss of control of the driver(s).

As mentioned before, final was surprised by how loud us Americans listen to music.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,117 of 4,852
Ha ha, I'm not surprised they're surprised, having Japanese friends and relatives. They are way more sensitive than me about volume. I have to say that I can take high SPL only when sound reproduction is clean. IEMs are formidable for that, compared to most concert venues where I usually have to dampen my ears.

That's why it's so frustrating with the D8000 Pro. It's so pristine and engaging I want to knock my socks off ! I'm just surprised the issue occurs at a level I don't consider 'blasting'.

sidenote \ Clipping due to poor amplification is not likely in my case : my set is PC -> Eitr -> AudioGD NFB20.2 -> ifi Pro iCan. :smiley_cat:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,118 of 4,852
There is more going on here than just volume level with those songs, because I listen to music at 95db or more with bass for days never had this happen both of those songs at like 75db and still causing the magnets to hit

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,119 of 4,852
@wazzupi You played those two tracks and got the issue at roughly 75dB, is that right ?

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,120 of 4,852
There is more going on here than just volume level with those songs, because I listen to music at 95db or more with bass for days never had this happen both of those songs at like 75db and still causing the magnets to hit

I think the key here, at least for me, is any music with highly emphasized sub-bass is what causes this behavior, even at lower dB levels.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,121 of 4,852
I think the key here, at least for me, is any music with highly emphasized sub-bass is what causes this behavior, even at lower dB levels.
I have listened to more songs with strong sub-bass and it seems if I listen extremely concentrated that there is a faint crackling sound in the right headphone cup, which seems not to belong to the music.
I need to watch it more as the crackle I believe I hear is really very faint.
Right now it does not disturb me, but should it get any louder then I will definitely contact Final, as I will not wait until I am out of warranty.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,122 of 4,852
I have listened to more songs with strong sub-bass and it seems if I listen extremely concentrated that there is a faint crackling sound in the right headphone cup, which seems not to belong to the music.
I need to watch it more as the crackle I believe I hear is really very faint.
Right now it does not disturb me, but should it get any louder then I will definitely contact Final, as I will not wait until I am out of warranty.

The crackle noise is due to the driver hitting the magnet structure. Next time you hear it, take off the headphones and you will hear distortion coming from the back wave. Interesting phenomenon.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,123 of 4,852
sounds like a problem on a 4500 dollar product

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,124 of 4,852
@wazzupi You played those two tracks and got the issue at roughly 75dB, is that right ?
im not 100%(I lowered volume significantly) sure but my baseline is usually around 85-90db(normal not rocking out levels :p). on my cayin ha-300 at max wattage, 12 o clock it happens(11 o clock nothing this amp only has 24 steps). its definitely fine for listening and I quite enjoy the song 2049 track 1 :p.

PS honestly it sounds like when the bass at a movie theater hits max impact. XD

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,125 of 4,852
Me too , I think a few earlier models might had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back