Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 1, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #903 of 4,925
Wonder if I can get one in Australia!

Price?

Dealer quoted me a price of S$800 (US$570) for the Final upgrade cable here in Singapore. That was more than twice what I paid for the Hybrid Noir. Also, while the cable was really nice looking, it was a little too heavy for my taste. wazzupi is right that the XLR version of the cable is substantially more expensive than the 4.4mm version.

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #904 of 4,925
Dealer quoted me a price of S$800 (US$570) for the Final upgrade cable here in Singapore. That was more than twice what I paid for the Hybrid Noir. Also, while the cable was really nice looking, it was a little too heavy for my taste. wazzupi is right that the XLR version of the cable is substantially more expensive than the 4.4mm version.
In the U.S I got mine for bout $490(30 dollar shipping) dollars shipped, but the dealer I used gives some insane discounts.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #905 of 4,925
Does the XLR version of the cable provide a substantial audible difference when compared to single ended cables?

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #906 of 4,925
Does the XLR version of the cable provide a substantial audible difference when compared to single ended cables?

Any difference I hear would be due to the balanced output of the GS-X mini sounding better than the single ended one.

My favourite pairing for the D8000 Pro is the LTA MZ3 which is a single ended amp.

I find the D8000 Pro can be a tad aggressive with SS amps (it was especially bad with the Topping A90).

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #907 of 4,925
Yes, balanced connection is significant better than SE but you must have fully balanced amp to get most of it.

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #908 of 4,925
It's not about does the XLR version sound better than the se it's about making sure what you enjoy from the se stock cable isn't lost or altered just because you bought a XLR cable from some aftermarket brand. While gaining the benefits of XLR from a balanced amp also its the best cable I've ever had.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #909 of 4,925
Yes, balanced connection is significant better than SE but you must have fully balanced amp to get most of it.

Ideally, a fully balanced DAC as well.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #910 of 4,925
Ok, cable question sorted. Now to find best pilot pad/headband padding setup. There are those cheap wool ones, wonder if a ZMF pilot pad can be stretched on.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #911 of 4,925
Balanced circuits are a manufacturer design choice that just so happens to require a different type of connection to non-balanced designs, as the signal return has to be separate for each channel. There isn't an inherent "better" as a result of a balanced design -- in fact, it can be worse than a non-balanced circuit, as the components have to be exactly matched. Not to mention, cheaper built-to-a-price balanced designs aren't going to beat more expensive and better-designed and optimised non-balanced designs.

I've been using the D8000 Pro direct out of the Hugo 2, or with an ALO Audio Studio Six + Schiit Yggdrasil combination. Both set-ups are single-ended and fantastic. I wish I could try them on the Chord DAVE again, though I think that would ruin me!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #912 of 4,925
Balanced circuits are a manufacturer design choice that just so happens to require a different type of connection to non-balanced designs, as the signal return has to be separate for each channel. There isn't an inherent "better" as a result of a balanced design -- in fact, it can be worse than a non-balanced circuit, as the components have to be exactly matched. Not to mention, cheaper built-to-a-price balanced designs aren't going to beat more expensive and better-designed and optimised non-balanced designs.

I've been using the D8000 Pro direct out of the Hugo 2, or with an ALO Audio Studio Six + Schiit Yggdrasil combination. Both set-ups are single-ended and fantastic. I wish I could try them on the Chord DAVE again, though I think that would ruin me!
^^^ I'd love to compare My Cayin ha-300 vs ALO Audio Studio Six >_<... but it can wait, Im enjoying my current setup soo much ! d8000pro>Cayin ha-300> Burl B2 Bomber>Eitr>Custom Desktop.(waiting on my pi2Aes as my new source)

biggest transformation is how lively everything sounds,vocals sound so amazing they were good off any amp/dac but this combo is just superb, it just keeps checking off marks on a new headphone(i still want a dynamic Headphone zmf verite Closed perhaps), it must be flagship for a reason ! I've also carefully looked for components that would extend the Headstage, dynamic Range and it's brought about such an amazing synergy. It's kept everything I loved about the original D8000pro but brought back everything Final had to weaken, to make them the D8000pro vs D8000 (according to final the d8000pro took a hit on dynamic range, Soundstage)

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #915 of 4,925
Very happy with them on a Qutest + Rupert Neve RNHP

I use a Qutest with a HeadAmp Pico Power with my D8000, sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back