FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #5,821 of 6,207
[QUOTE="Brooko, post: BTW - I have every module - so can advise when I know what your power requirements are.[/QUOTE]

@Brooko Have you had a chance to try the AM3C /D yet? I have a X7II with the standard AM3A and I am quite happy with this over the years but was looking for an upgrade and was wondering if this was worth looking at?
I'm using a set of Shure SE846 and Audio Quest Night Owl's.

This question also go's to any one else out there who has had a chance to try the AM3C / D, how much of an upgrade is it from the old AM3A?

Thank you :ksc75smile:

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #5,822 of 6,207
Have you had a chance to try the AM3C /D yet? I have a X7II with the standard AM3A and I am quite happy with this over the years but was looking for an upgrade and was wondering if this was worth looking at?
I'm using a set of Shure SE846 and Audio Quest Night Owl's.

This question also go's to any one else out there who has had a chance to try the AM3C / D, how much of an upgrade is it from the old AM3A?

Thank you :ksc75smile:

I should be able to tell you in one or two days.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #5,824 of 6,207
That will be great, looking forward to it.

Just got my tracking information, it should be here tomorrow afternoon. I'm pretty hyped :gs1000smile:

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #5,825 of 6,207
Just received it. First impressions, hot-swapping back and forth with my AM3A (not sure if that is good for the hardware), balanced (8 core NiceHCK silver plated) with BL44 adapter to my **** (I brought my C16, ZS7, AS10 and C10 as well):
- Sub bass, wow, first thing I noticed. Bass goes deep. Not a subtle difference.
- Transparent, clear, precise, detailed, great attacks, like a slight veil has been lifted, there's more treble now, the AM3A sounds slightly warm by comparison.
- It is more natural sounding, gives you more of a feeling of being there.
- Better instrument separation and sound stage
- Volume is only slightly louder (if at all) compared to the AM3A
Things that sound really impressive on it don't sound impressive on the AM3A. Some tracks that I never really cared about sound impressive now.

A really nice upgrade for my X7mkII, I very much recommend it, it sounds much more high-end now. Interesting how my previous set-up sounds less impressive, even though I thought it sounded really good.

If you prefer a warm sound or don't like lots of detail, this might not be for you. Definitely not a forgiving sound with heavily compressed or otherwise lower quality audio.

Now I have to get pentacon cables, lol, this hobby is so demanding.

EDIT: The color of the module doesn't match that of the X7mkII at all, I guess they matched it with the Q5s color.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #5,827 of 6,207
You have the C or the D version.
If i should invest, i would prefer invest in the AM3E

AM3D, it is the same as the AM3C, but much less rare. The AM3E is not a THX AAA module, is an AM3B with 2.5mm connector. Quote from FiiO: "AM3A-AM3B-AM3E, they have similar circuit and OP AMP chips, AM3E adds 2.5mm interface to AM3B"

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #5,829 of 6,207
how about the AM5 , hi-power output, does anyone have any reviews?

From what I've read it is well liked. I wish there was a balanced version.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #5,831 of 6,207
AM5 was my preferred FiiO Amp, overall tonality, full body and resolution, very well balanced. Don’t need it anymore since don’t own already x7mk2. If anyone wants it please send me a PM

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #5,832 of 6,207
Hi all, and @FiiO ,

My X7ii doesnt acknowledge any USB connections, ie battery is flat and I can't charge or do anything with it.

It's well outside warranty so wondering if changing the amp module should fix the problem, as this will effectively replace the USB connection also, or is this just wishful thinking?

Cheers!

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #5,834 of 6,207
I just received a firmware update V7 20190726, the update log is empty though.

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #5,835 of 6,207
I just received a firmware update V7 20190726, the update log is empty though.

Interesting, i mount the japanese version and no update found at the moment

Do you note something different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back