FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #1,111 of 6,207
My X7ii connected fine to my iPhone's hotspot.

I just acquired a Fibre Optic cable to connect my Mojo to the X7ii, the only real difference for me is that it can drive my HD650s to higher volumes than the X7ii can. Maybe if I acquired the Amp module above the default one it may drive them a little better! Otherwise, I'm not able to really hear any difference. Still better than listening via my phone! Just have to find more music to shove on it, now! Where I've been using Spotify exclusively for the last three or so years I've completely neglected my physical collection!

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,116 of 6,207
1. I've noticed that when using the FiiO Player App, it won't play gapless unless the option is turned on. If it's on when the app is open, it has to be turned off then on. But even then, it'll only play a gapless track transition once. After that, transitions won't be gapless unless the option is turned off and on again, but it'll once again only be gapless for one track transition. It is certainly strange.

2. My unit can connect to my iPhone 6's hotspot just fine. It can also connect to my home networks which both use WPA2 PSK.

Thanks for the confirmation on 1. The jury's still out on 2. My home network also uses WPA2, and no problems there, but the X7ii refuses to connect to my Samsung Galaxy S8 hotspot. (This hotspot connects to everything else.)

Got a new one...

3. Toslink works great :) But when using digital out via an OTG USB to a Hugo 2, everything works great for roughly 30 seconds, and then the X7ii reliably (100% of the time) freezes and needs rebooting. This happens with both FiiO's own music app and Tidal. Has anybody else tried connecting a micro-usb OTG between the X7ii and a Chord product? Did it work?

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,117 of 6,207
Can these power the 600 ohm beyers efficiently ??
Here's a snippet of the the specs on the AM3A modules:

FiiO X7II Spec.JPG

I'm not sure if the AM5 module would drive 600 ohm headphones efficiently either.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #1,118 of 6,207
3. Toslink works great :) But when using digital out via an OTG USB to a Hugo 2, everything works great for roughly 30 seconds, and then the X7ii reliably (100% of the time) freezes and needs rebooting. This happens with both FiiO's own music app and Tidal. Has anybody else tried connecting a micro-usb OTG between the X7ii and a Chord product? Did it work?

A word of warning. After the above attempt at USB digital-out, my X7ii unit is no longer accepting a charge :frowning2:

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #1,121 of 6,207
Actually, no, it's not -2dB. I PM'd Rob regarding mutiple consumer measurements, including the ones you linked, to discuss their findings and he says the roll-off is no where near what they are getting, likely because they aren't accounting for the delay of the output giving inaccurate results. Yes, there is a very minor roll but not as extreme as -2dB.

Again this is waaaay off topic in the X7 mkII thread so I'll PM you his replies in a moment.

Hi Relic,
well Rob Watts admitted in public that the measurements are correct so I believe that over a private message to you - if he disagrees with the measurements he should say so publicly so that the people who performed them have a chance to respond.

Here are two more sources showing a treble roll-off of the Mojo with multi driver balanced armature iems:
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-chord-mojo-24-bit
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-125-6242-36.html#1794

The roll-off is not dramatic.

It is actually more interesting that the subjectively perceived amount of treble is so different between Mojo, FiiO X5 III and FiiO X7 II even though the frequency response for all when measured is relatively flat. My subjective impression is most detailed treble: X7 II, with X5 III a bit less treble detail and Mojo the least treble detail. This may have to do with the fact that frequency response is usually measured with sine waves while the subjective impression is affected by the reaction of the DAC to impulses. More or less pre- and post-ringing and more or less harmonics at certain parts of the frequency range may be responsible for this impression - or there are other causes?

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,122 of 6,207
Weird. After about 5 reboots, it's now charging again. Not quite sure what's going on here, but I think I'll skip any foreseeable attempts at doing digital out via USB.

Same thing happened to my x5 gen3. It wouldn't charge until I connected it back to my mojo and disconnected it properly. Upon doing that it worked fine. I reported it to the fiio x5 thread and they were appreciative of hearing it and I was told it would be reported to the engineers. I stopped all otg with the x5 since.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #1,123 of 6,207
Hi Relic,
well Rob Watts admitted in public that the measurements are correct so I believe that over a private message to you - if he disagrees with the measurements he should say so publicly so that the people who performed them have a chance to respond.

Here are two more sources showing a treble roll-off of the Mojo with multi driver balanced armature iems:
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-chord-mojo-24-bit
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-125-6242-36.html#1794

The roll-off is not dramatic.

It is actually more interesting that the subjectively perceived amount of treble is so different between Mojo, FiiO X5 III and FiiO X7 II even though the frequency response for all when measured is relatively flat. My subjective impression is most detailed treble: X7 II, with X5 III a bit less treble detail and Mojo the least treble detail. This may have to do with the fact that frequency response is usually measured with sine waves while the subjective impression is affected by the reaction of the DAC to impulses. More or less pre- and post-ringing and more or less harmonics at certain parts of the frequency range may be responsible for this impression - or there are other causes?

Both those graphs were what I was talking with Rob about. Good grief, I'm just sharing what I've read and what I've discussed straight from the horses mouth. You can believe what others (non-engineers) measure or what the designer says. It's obviously your choice. And yes, he's publicly stated this too, here's one example:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1807#post-13075894

There are more scattered on Head Fi, but I have better things to do than go searching for them. There's no debate that there is some roll-off. The only thing I'm saying is that some don't account for the delay and the measurements aren't exactly accurate.

I'll not reply to this topic in this thread anymore. I've tried to PM you to keep this thread on topic but that doesn't seem to be up your alley, so my part on this matter is closed here.

Regarding the X5III, I find it far less detailed than the Mojo, so again we disagree. There's less low level detail from the X5 III and the macro presentation may make it seem like more detail but to my ears it's less resolving of actual detail. That's fine if you feel it's more detailed. I'd still like to hear the X7 mkII to see how it renders musical detail compared to the Mojo, or even the DAVE which is my benchmark.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,124 of 6,207
Both those graphs were what I was talking with Rob about. Good grief, I'm just sharing what I've read and what I've discussed straight from the horses mouth. You can believe what others (non-engineers) measure or what the designer says. It's obviously your choice. And yes, he's publicly stated this too, here's one example:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1807#post-13075894

There are more scattered on Head Fi, but I have better things to do than go searching for them. There's no debate that there is some roll-off. The only thing I'm saying is that some don't account for the delay and the measurements aren't exactly accurate.

I'll not reply to this topic in this thread anymore. I've tried to PM you to keep this thread on topic but that doesn't seem to be up your alley, so my part on this matter is closed here.

Regarding the X5III, I find it far less detailed than the Mojo, so again we disagree. There's less low level detail from the X5 III and the macro presentation may make it seem like more detail but to my ears it's less resolving of actual detail. That's fine if you feel it's more detailed. I'd still like to hear the X7 mkII to see how it renders musical detail compared to the Mojo, or even the DAVE which is my benchmark.

Hey guys I think the Mojo talk is getting a little excessive now. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to actually compare with the X7ii when you have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back