FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #6,526 of 18,020
One thing I appreciate about the X7 is how it handles all the formats with ease. I just throw in folders with FLAC, ALAC, APE, Mp3 etc. And it shows up in the main library seamlessly and consecutively switching between songs of different formats produced no lag.

Last night I was listening to a 24/96 Hotel California Album and the X7 handles it like a champ!

@Brooko Fantastic review Paul, I felt it was an objective and honest look at the X7. I don't think the review makes the X7 seem any less than what it is, and some people maybe getting the wrong take away message from it. What I took away from your review is that has the X7 has a certain Je ne sais quois about it that just draws you in, and thats what I also feel about it.

Something about it keeps drawing me in for long listening sessions. I loaded a lot of my offline music collection onto the X7, and I find myself enjoying them like I haven't ever before. Its really a marvellous little thing, and its a shame that people are writing it off without giving it a listen!

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #6,527 of 18,020
Personally, I've found the difference between the DAP I dislike the most, and my Fiio/Hugo combination to be worthwhile and am always seeking to improve. But in percentage terms, which is a complete guess anyway, I would put the difference in single figures. Only a tinny transistor radio would bring massive percentage changes to my mind. Funny how we all relate to changes differently.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,529 of 18,020
As always, fantastic review.

However, I'm not sure why I can get sorting better than you for the Categories in some instances.

I get Albums - album list - songs.
Mostly I get Artist - Albums - songs.
At times I get Artist - songs and I'm not sure why.
Genres is a mess.

I learned with the x5 using dapper and fiddling that the easiest way was to name my folders after my playlists, then rearrange another non apple library of music where the folders are playlists. I then can just copy folders onto any non apple player/phone and everything shows up just like on my iPhone by just clicking on folders. Takes a little up front work but in the end it works best for me.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #6,530 of 18,020
u can't compare the ak100ii vs the x3ii. they're very different. 100ii makes ur neutral iem brighter whereas the x3ii makes ur neutral iem warmer. imo in terms of sheer technicalities, even x5ii betters the ak100ii [x5ii is more neutral than x3ii(less warm)] I} tried the demo sets of the x7 for 1.5hrs and I find that It's similar to the x5ii but with a smoother n more dynamic sound signature, better depth too and definitely the most silent DAP i've ever tried.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,531 of 18,020
well my freind then u better go and buy yourself an ak100ii and see what i mean by the ak100ii is at least 10000 times better than x3ii before you go about and start quoting me like this, I can tell you simply once u hear the ak100ii compared to the x3ii its a huge huge huge difference in favour of ak100ii 

your review is honest and i appreciate it and it made up my mind that i do not have any interest in x7 anymore 

and to be honest i wish all reviews are like urs, as that is what i want to read an honest review, so that when i read about an item i do not get fooled by people with agendas and yours sounds to be a real honest review

if i did not have an ak100ii i might have bought the x7, as its a good dap but now i feel moving from ak100ii to x7 won't justify it as an upgrade

I have the AK240 here and the X7. Speaking of sound quality and technicalities alone I prefer the X7 for a lot reasons. Overall the X7 plays with the big boys and surpasses them in some areas. Brooko is very objective and even handed in his approach to doing reviews and won't over state what may be at most 5% difference. Personally, I value that hard to attain 5% difference a lot so I may emphasize the difference more than him. Is the X7 the best DAP ever? No. Will others prefer the sound of different DAPs over the X7 more? Certainly. What I do know is that technically the X7 isn't really lacking and has fantastic audio performance. IMO.

Make no mistake that I was extremely surprised at the SQ of the X7 given that I recently purchased a used AK240 at over twice the cost of the X7. I suggest you wait to hear more impressions before you start jumping to conclusions.

Edit: By the way, going back to the X5ii after listening to the AK240 and the X7, I would agree that the X5ii plays very well and has a great performance, even more so given its price. It's not up to the same level but the differences aren't as large as you are thinking.

Edit2: It's like seeing a pretty girl with or without makeup. Same pretty girl, but a minor difference that you may think is a 100% difference.

Edit3: And weren't you hyping the Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs as the best thing ever created without ever hearing them?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #6,532 of 18,020
I learned with the x5 using dapper and fiddling that the easiest way was to name my folders after my playlists, then rearrange another non apple library of music where the folders are playlists. I then can just copy folders onto any non apple player/phone and everything shows up just like on my iPhone by just clicking on folders. Takes a little up front work but in the end it works best for me.

I've got my files organized very well, and always have. The conversation you obviously didn't read may have missed was about the beta nature of the X7's 'song list' vs 'album list' in the Artist category.

You are correct though, Dapper can be very handy.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #6,533 of 18,020
I have the AK240 here and the X7. Speaking of sound quality and technicalities alone I prefer the X7 for a lot reasons. Overall the X7 plays with the big boys and surpasses them in some areas. @Brooko is very objective and even handed in his approach to doing reviews and won't over state what may be at most 5% difference. Personally, I value that hard to attain 5% difference a lot so I may emphasize the difference more than him. Is the X7 the best DAP ever? No. Will others prefer the sound of different DAPs over the X7 more? Certainly. What I do know is that technically the X7 isn't really lacking and has fantastic audio performance. IMO.

Make no mistake that I was extremely surprised at the SQ of the X7 given that I recently purchased a used AK240 at over twice the cost of the X7. I suggest you wait to hear more impressions before you start jumping to conclusions.

Edit: By the way, going back to the X5ii after listening to the AK240 and the X7, I would agree that the X5ii plays very well and has a great performance, even more so given its price. It's not up to the same level but the differences aren't as large as you are thinking.

Edit2: It's like seeing a pretty girl with or without makeup. Same pretty girl, but a minor difference that you may think is a 100% difference.

Edit3: And weren't you hyping the Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs as the best thing ever created without ever hearing them?

my position stands the same as after reading brokoo review, and now u confirm it too

the x7 is not to me based on ur 2 reviews a step up from ak100ii , y r u upset i made this conclusion

if i did not have the ak100ii i would immediatley bought the x7 if the onkyo dap was not announced

also as for onkyp dap i am still waiting for reviews so it might not be the one i would consider s step up form ak100ii

to me the onkyo dap hit all the points i wanted in a dap i never said its the best sounding dap, i said i like onkyo for what they are offering for an amazing price , so please keep the record straight

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #6,534 of 18,020
  my position stands the same as after reading brokoo review, and now u confirm it too

the x7 is not to me based on ur 2 reviews a step up from ak100ii , y r u upset i made this conclusion

if i did not have the ak100ii i would immediatley bought the x7 if the onkyo dap was not announced

also as for onkyp dap i am still waiting for reviews so it might not be the one i would consider s step up form ak100ii

to me the onkyo dap hit all the points i wanted in a dap i never said its the best sounding dap, i said i like onkyo for what they are offering for an amazing price , so please keep the record straight

lol what makes you think he's upset? Its funny to watch people schiit on a product they have never heard, and making conclusions based on one review 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6,535 of 18,020

lol what makes you think he's upset? Its funny to watch people schiit on a product they have never heard, and making conclusions based on one review 
rolleyes.gif

yeah ur right i guess i have to wait for more

but maybe i was expecting more than what was mentioned in those 2 reviews as the wait was so long for x7 

anyway maybe in the end i might end buying one who knows

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,536 of 18,020
Hykleif, I really don't see how a DAP can be assessed as 1000 times better than another among audiophile DAPs. To me they all sound within a 5% performance range at most, including AK380, and even including the Hugo, at least using iems. I don't use full sized cans so I wouldn't know.

But if they disuades you from getting the X7, than good for your wallet.

I don't know if you try the 240 but maybe you would think it sounds very very close to your Ak100ii.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #6,537 of 18,020
  Also, can anyone recommend some quality microSD cards for the X7? I don't what specs to look for in terms of class 5 or class 8 etc. Looking for one that has really good read speeds

Get the one from Sony with audio specialized ones, friends said they are little bit better than regular microSD cards.  I mean if you are looking for the BEST.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,538 of 18,020

Get the one from Sony with audio specialized ones, friends said they are little bit better than regular microSD cards.  I mean if you are looking for the BEST.

ehh I am not as inclined to believe sony's claims on their overpriced cards :p

I just meant, what should I be looking for in terms of read speeds, which class, brand etc :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #6,539 of 18,020

ehh I am not as inclined to believe sony's claims on their overpriced cards :p

I just meant, what should I be looking for in terms of read speeds, which class, brand etc :)

Hey, read speed doesn't play that much of a big factor in audio playback especially most cards are pretty fast nowadays.

I tried the regular class 10 ones, all worked fine even with large files such as SACD and DSD128. What affects the sound is the type of memory chip and control chip the MircoSD card holds.

John

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #6,540 of 18,020

Hey, read speed doesn't play that much of a big factor in audio playback especially most cards are pretty fast nowadays.

I tried the regular class 10 ones, all worked fine even with large files such as SACD and DSD128. What affects the sound is the type of memory chip and control chip the MircoSD card holds.

John

Thanks John. In that case, will look at class 10 ones. I doubt the premium audio microSD cards (ala Sony) would make much of a difference to my music enjoyment anyway. Any brands more reliable or better than the others? Sandisk etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back