FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #6,496 of 18,020
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #6,497 of 18,020
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #6,498 of 18,020
As always, fantastic review.

However, I'm not sure why I can get sorting better than you for the Categories in some instances.

I get Albums - album list - songs.
Mostly I get Artist - Albums - songs.
At times I get Artist - songs and I'm not sure why.
Genres is a mess.

Thanks Craig - are you using the expansion card or internal (not sure if it makes a difference)

Also - when you choose artist, and have multiple albums, you'll get a screen like this:

or   

The band is Accents. they have two albums.  Note the icons next to the band names (on the left) under the guitar (genre icon).  One selects tracks, the other selects albums.  The problem with the album one is that you can't go any further (ie get the tracks from that album).

That's why you get the difference - it depends which one is highlighted.

You need to try HibyMusic though - much better for sorting :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #6,499 of 18,020
Thanks Craig - are you using the expansion card or internal (not sure if it makes a difference)

Also - when you choose artist, and have multiple albums, you'll get a screen like this:

The band is Accents. they have two albums.  Note the icons next to the band names (on the left) under the guitar (genre icon).  One selects tracks, the other selects albums.  The problem with the album one is that you can't go any further (ie get the tracks from that album).

That's why you get the difference - it depends which one is highlighted.

You need to try HibyMusic though - much better for sorting :)

Yeah, I've seen the album icon and just figured it was for playing the full album (quick way just play the full album). It's a bit overkill for browsing options in my opinion. I use the list icon mostly. I agree with your point in the review where it would be better to select the album cover in the (album icon) list rather than the small grey play icon on the right.

I'm using the external card straight from my X5ii.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #6,500 of 18,020

Great review and a real pleasure to read. I do have a few squabbles with your review, the size and weight of the unit, swapping the module if you're using iems and harder to drive headphones (HE560). On the former, it really feels big and heavy compared to my X5. I already find the weight noticeable. Have you used the DSP on commutes and if so how does it feel? When I combine a full work day plus commute I am afraid I might run out of power (I have on few occasions with the X5). Question: when using the DAP strictly as a player, isn't the battery life lasting longer? As far as power, wouldn't using my hard to drive HP require either an amp or a more powerful module?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #6,501 of 18,020
Great review and a real pleasure to read. I do have a few squabbles with your review, the size and weight of the unit, swapping the module if you're using iems and harder to drive headphones (HE560). On the former, it really feels big and heavy compared to my X5. I already find the weight noticeable. Have you used the DSP on commutes and if so how does it feel? When I combine a full work day plus commute I am afraid I might run out of power (I have on few occasions with the X5). Question: when using the DAP strictly as a player, isn't the battery life lasting longer? As far as power, wouldn't using my hard to drive HP require either an amp or a more powerful module?

Thanks.

Let me go through your questions :

• Why do you have a "squabble" with the review on size and weight - I'm just quoting the actual dimensions 
    wink.gif

I know what you mean though - it is bigger and heavier than the X3ii / X5ii - but has a lot more going on with hardware and usability (GUI).  I find it a small price to pay for increased functionality.  YMMV.

• Module swapping - depends what you're driving I guess.  If you want to power your HE560s then you'll need to try the high power module when it is released.  At this stage it is all conjecture because no-one has seen one yet - so no idea on effects on battery life etc.

• What DSP?  If you mean EQ - then depends on the IEM I'm using.  I use it all the time with the Adel U6.

• Re power - get yourself a portable battery pack.  You can run the X7 while charging.

• Re using DAP strictly as player - if I had more time available I'd test it for you.  Unfortunately it's packed up ready for the courier first thing tomorrow. Like I said earlier - l only effectively had 8 days with the X7, and for 3 of those I was working 14 hour days.  The actual review took me around 15 hours to draft, write, edit, photograph etc. The rest of the time was work, eat, sleep, fit in time for family, and then listen as much as I could.  Unfortunately only so much you can test in a limited time. If Fiio give me time at the end of the tour, I'll test some more.

• Yes - you'd probably need another module.  As we know zero about the modules - you'll need to wait until information is available

I take it some of this puts those "squabbles" to rest? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #6,502 of 18,020
Thanks.

Let me go through your questions :

1. Why do you have a "squabble" with the review on size and weight - I'm just quoting the actual dimensions :wink:

I know what you mean though - it is bigger and heavier than the X3ii / X5ii - but has a lot more going on with hardware and usability (GUI).  I find it a small price to pay for increased functionality.  YMMV.

2. Module swapping - depends what you're driving I guess.  If you want to power your HE560s then you'll need to try the high power module when it is released.  At this stage it is all conjecture because no-one has seen one yet - so no idea on effects on battery life etc.

3. What DSP?  If you mean EQ - then depends on the IEM I'm using.  I use it all the time with the Adel U6.

4. Re power - get yourself a portable battery pack.  You can run the X7 while charging.

5. Re using DAP strictly as player - if I had more time available I'd test it for you.  Unfortunately it's packed up ready for the courier first thing tomorrow. Like I said earlier - l only effectively had 8 days with the X7, and for 3 of those I was working 14 hour days.  The actual review took me around 15 hours to draft, write, edit, photograph etc. The rest of the time was work, eat, sleep, fit in time for family, and then listen as much as I could.  Unfortunately only so much you can test in a limited time. If Fiio give me time at the end of the tour, I'll test some more.

6. Yes - you'd probably need another module.  As we know zero about the modules - you'll need to wait until information is available

I take it some of this puts those "squabbles" to rest? :D

You take the word squabble too literally, should have said friendly exchange :beerchug:

Weight wise I am just getting a little worried that I might find it odd to carry, as it stands I wear coats even in warm weather because of easy transportation and you start looking funny when your coat droops from one side because of your dap being heavier than your smartphone sitting on the other side in your pocket. :D

DSP should have been DAP, finger keyboard mistyping :)

Power pack: I am not a commuter bag hugger so for me not an option, anything bigger than a single device stack makes me hate commuting wich I don't enjoy to begin with so anything lightening the load is highly appreciated. I am hoping that one will be able to make that battery last longer if one cuts down on heavy powered features.

I know what you mean about short time holding the unit for review, the X5 tour was the pretty much the same.

But thanks, your review was a real eye opener to me.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #6,503 of 18,020
I totally understand where you are coming from.  And the reference to "squabble" I was pretty sure I understood - so I replied with a smile on my face when I was typing.  The issue isn't with the review - but rather with the dimensions of the DAP.

As far as commutes go - it would very much depend on where I was going and what I was doing.  I drive most places (company car, small city [50K pop]) so I don't need to worry too much. If I'm out walking (IEMs) I'll just take the X3ii or the X1 most of the time. I was using the X7 every day at work though. If real portability is your thing, you may need to keep looking.  Not a big issue for me. I have a flight on Monday and out of town for 2 days, so if I didn't have the X7 going on tour, I'd definitely be taking it.

I shall just have to "slum it" with the L5 Pro 
wink.gif
 - another very good DAP.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #6,505 of 18,020
Nov 8, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #6,509 of 18,020
I wasn't too interested in the "medium" gain amp module until I read the description.

So will the medium one offer the best absolute sound quality or will the balanced module do that? Assuming you have reasonably efficient headphones and or IEMs. Which one will be pricier and or use higher end components and layout?

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #6,510 of 18,020
I don't want to find fault with Fiio for designing X7 amp modules but I thought Hifiman was not getting too popular with theirs, having to cough up extra cash for something that should seriously be part of the main unit and selectable through firmware setting just like the X5, is not something I was seeking. Secondly, removing two screws, seriously? Can't they just design some lockable modules using side slidable locking connectors. I have seen a few of those for things like battery modules. It's obvious I'd like to use iems and powerful cans with the dap but not at a point of switching modules and pouring cash for allowing it to happen so here we go, a separate amp has to be stacked for that to happen. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back