FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,541 of 18,020
Some time ago I read a thread about a gathering comparing MicroSD cards from different brands, and the result was the ones with best sonic performance were Sandisk, Toshiba, and Kingston. Some also claim the Sony Audio ones is slightly better than the regular ones.

So it is all up to you. Personally I am happy with Sandisk extreme and properly won't spend half a grand getting the sony ones, I rather spend that amount on cables.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #6,542 of 18,020
my position stands the same as after reading brokoo review, and now u confirm it too

the x7 is not to me based on ur 2 reviews a step up from ak100ii , y r u upset i made this conclusion

if i did not have the ak100ii i would immediatley bought the x7 if the onkyo dap was not announced

also as for onkyp dap i am still waiting for reviews so it might not be the one i would consider s step up form ak100ii

to me the onkyo dap hit all the points i wanted in a dap i never said its the best sounding dap, i said i like onkyo for what they are offering for an amazing price , so please keep the record straight

To be clear, I'm not upset with your conclusion. All I'm trying to do is offer some perspective with the AK240 and X7, which you clearly did not want to consider. The X7 has more resolution and presents layers easier than the AK240 from what I'm hearing. Soundstage is bigger and imaging is better on the X7. FiiO has done a really good job and it's a definite step up from their previous DAPs in SQ. The bass has good weight to it but the mids and highs come through easily and crystal clear as well. It's a very good release from FiiO as far as SQ is concerned. My issue is the headphone jack on the bottom, the symmetrical button placement, and the size. Of course other people won't find these things an issue. I'm also not a fan of the beta FW.

In the end your welcome to your own conclusion, I'm just saying that I feel Brooko may have simply understated some things that you might value more. He did favour the X7 (for various reasons) over the L5 pro, and did title his review "End Game DAP". If you want to pass on the X7 that's fine but I think you'd be missing out if you at least don't give it an audition if you can. It really is a great DAP in the SQ department and up there with the AK240 in many respects IMO.

I apologize for mixing you up with kawaivpc1 in the Onkyo/Pioneer thread. He was the one going rabid over the Onkyo while you've been carefully weighing your options. :xf_eek:

Edit: I should clarify that the comparisons I'm making are SE, not balanced out.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #6,543 of 18,020

Thanks John. In that case, will look at class 10 ones. I doubt the premium audio microSD cards (ala Sony) would make much of a difference to my music enjoyment anyway. Any brands more reliable or better than the others? Sandisk etc

had first hand experience with the Sony Premium Sound microSD.  there is a SQ difference when everything in the chain is summit fi grade while doing critical listening

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #6,544 of 18,020
Edit: By the way, going back to the X5ii after listening to the AK240 and the X7, I would agree that the X5ii plays very well and has a great performance, even more so given its price. It's not up to the same level but the differences aren't as large as you are thinking.

I feel the same way. My AK120ii is precious to me, like the One Ring. It's the best sounding piece of equipment I've heard to date. Yet recently I picked up my old FiiO X5 Classic and was blown away by just how good it sounds. Is there disparity between the two? Damn straight. It's just not nearly as big as we sometimes delude ourselves into believing.
:cool:

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #6,545 of 18,020
@JamesFiiO , wonder if it's a good idea to disable power up of X7 when amp-module is disconnected?  Or was that intended by design?

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #6,546 of 18,020
lol what makes you think he's upset? Its funny to watch people schiit on a product they have never heard, and making conclusions based on one review :rolleyes:

He isn't dumping on the Fiio dap, he just stated what he feels in regards to the 2 reviews, which come from very reputable reviewers/members here.

I think the problem is the sometimes absurd reviews here. I've read how the AK240 sounds significantly better than the AK120II, and the AK120II sounds better than the ak100ii. In the end, I heard no difference other than the power between the devices. It's easy to get caught up on the hype trains here, and when you get an honest review, like the ones hykhleif referenced, one could easily understand how the X7 may appear to be a let down.

OTH, you can read reviews that hype products up, and when you get the hyped device you can be easily let down. I know I was.

Regardless, I still believe this device has a lot to offer, and I believe it will become a favorite amongst head-fiers.

From their reviews, I'm confident I'll enjoy the X7 as much, if not more than my AK240.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #6,548 of 18,020
  u can't compare the ak100ii vs the x3ii. they're very different. 100ii makes ur neutral iem brighter whereas the x3ii makes ur neutral iem warmer. imo in terms of sheer technicalities, even x5ii betters the ak100ii [x5ii is more neutral than x3ii(less warm)] I} tried the demo sets of the x7 for 1.5hrs and I find that It's similar to the x5ii but with a smoother n more dynamic sound signature, better depth too and definitely the most silent DAP i've ever tried.

Thank you, thats what I looking for. If anyone can also compare X5/X5ii+E12A vs X7, it will be pleasure.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #6,550 of 18,020

A question, how will it plug on the dock ? as we have many diff amp sections will we have to put a specific amp section or remove it ?

I'm wondering the same, and on what dock?

This one : 

or this one : 

or any other :)

11950172_973043439419856_789354510254056962_o.jpg

As shown in the picture, the X7 would dock with the K5 via the micro USB port at the bottom of the expansion module (so there's no need to remove the module for docking).

(the micro USB port on the new X series players are customized with 5 extra pins. They carry, among other things, the line signal from the player to be amplified by the K5.)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 9, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #6,552 of 18,020
He isn't dumping on the Fiio dap, he just stated what he feels in regards to the 2 reviews, which come from very reputable reviewers/members here.

I think the problem is the sometimes absurd reviews here. I've read how the AK240 sounds significantly better than the AK120II, and the AK120II sounds better than the ak100ii. In the end, I heard no difference other than the power between the devices. It's easy to get caught up on the hype trains here, and when you get an honest review, like the ones hykhleif referenced, one could easily understand how the X7 may appear to be a let down.

OTH, you can read reviews that hype products up, and when you get the hyped device you can be easily let down. I know I was.

Regardless, I still believe this device has a lot to offer, and I believe it will become a favorite amongst head-fiers.

From their reviews, I'm confident I'll enjoy the X7 as much, if not more than my AK240.

thanks so much for claryifing my point of view

I am owned several fiio daps, i did not like them better than ak100ii and i owned x3,x5,x3ii and ak100ii is better in my point of view

again I want to make clear the two reviews are what reviews should be espcially when it comes to people who do not have the privilege to try things before buying it, it sucks to live in a country where you can not find even one store that allows you to try things before buying.

Such honest reviews are what I need, as I can not simply buy and return things if I did not like it. So honest reviews like Brooko and others are what I need to read to keep things real. I ahve so many gears at home that are sitting wihtout use because simply I was caught in the hype train reviews

Will I buy the fiio x7, I might as I know its a good dap, will it be much better than the ak100ii, I do not know, but maybe it will be. Was I excited more in the past for fiio x7, yes I was.

Nov 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #6,553 of 18,020
@Joe Bloggs. Any news on the releasedate of the K5? Sorry if I missed that...

first batch will be the end of this month, the second batch will be the end of DEC. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back