FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,346 of 18,020
Not sure if it was mentioned before, but if you are listening to a song and you turn off the the X7, does the DAP remember this song and take you back to it or does it go to the main menu? I hate that about the X1.
When you turn it back on, the song does not appear on the player but if you press play on the side it will start on this song.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6,347 of 18,020
For me, the new FW changed the sound quite a bit. Better transparency, separation and a better defined bass and with that more body to the music. Thanks to Twister6 I got it figured out how to update but now see it is pretty easy. All in the learning cure. Good idea James on the video for us more challenged blokes. :^)

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #6,348 of 18,020
  Strange, I just returned from TAVES, and I was told by FiiO's Canadian importer rep that the X7 will cost between $8-900 CDN, possibly more, when released, which is now scheduled to be in the new year and not before Christmas. If this info from the actual distributor is incorrect, I wish they could all get their stories straight. I argued with him that even with the exchange rate the player should not be more than $800 CDN and that FiiO has claimed that the release date for N.A. will be pre-christmas, well  before Christmas. The rep told me that the latest most recent info he has is that FiiO has now revised both the expected CDN list price and the availability date. 

frown.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #6,349 of 18,020
  For me, the new FW changed the sound quite a bit. Better transparency, separation and a better defined bass and with that more body to the music. Thanks to Twister6 I got it figured out how to update but now see it is pretty easy. All in the learning cure. Good idea James on the video for us more challenged blokes. :^)

John, have you tried keeping it next to your phone?  Since I have X7 with me at work today, it's on a desk right next to my Note 4, and EMI interference is not the most pleasant with periodic buzzing. 

Any other X7 testers experience the same?  Btw, wi-fi and BT off radios are off.  Obviously, not a huge issue as long as you don't keep your smartphone and X7 in the same pocket.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #6,350 of 18,020
If it isn't the best, it is definitely among the best - that I can assure you.

tring to get my first dap since im used to songs on my phoness and such,
how would this cmpare to

1.iphone 6 and above?
2. astel and kernal 240?

currentl using my songs on iphone 6 and ipad air 2 for media, consumption videos via youtube,mp3,gaming etc.

is x7 only music dedicated? or can i also get android apps?

is spotify best way to listen to music 320 kbps mp3? or should i stick with something other than mp3,
currently have my songs from 240 kbps to 320 kbps mp3 files.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #6,351 of 18,020
how would this cmpare to

1.iphone 6 and above?
2. astel and kernal 240?

currentl using my songs on iphone 6 and ipad air 2 for media, consumption videos via youtube,mp3,gaming etc.

is spotify best way to listen to music 320 kbps mp3? or should i stick with something other than mp3,

MP3s are fine, certainly higher bitrate files like 320, in fact they are excellent. If you already find yourself very satisfied with the solution you have you may find a dedicated DAP sort of underwhelming. If you want to really enjoy the best sound quality possible certainly any good DAP is likely to be better than a smartphone. Will it be day and night better? Maybe in some cases, but many feel the iPhones sound quite good. I'm surprised how good my Blackberry Leap sounds. Still for me a DAP makes sense as even if the gains in true sound quality are modest, they are worth it to me.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #6,352 of 18,020
  Strange, I just returned from TAVES, and I was told by FiiO's Canadian importer rep that the X7 will cost between $8-900 CDN, possibly more, when released, which is now scheduled to be in the new year and not before Christmas. If this info from the actual distributor is incorrect, I wish they could all get their stories straight. I argued with him that even with the exchange rate the player should not be more than $800 CDN and that FiiO has claimed that the release date for N.A. will be pre-christmas, well  before Christmas. The rep told me that the latest most recent info he has is that FiiO has now revised both the expected CDN list price and the availability date. 

Got to spend some considerable time with the unit. Granted not in the most optimal of conditions and with unfamiliar headphones going through an Audio Alchemy stack, not direct form the headphone out and what i heard while definitely a good step up form my X5 gen1 which I brought with me and hooked up to the same system, different files however, I am not sure that at it's expected price point that it will match or outperform comparable DAP's from other competitors. Too early to tell.

Oh that sucks, but 650 USD does covert to 850 CAD at the recent rate. Might be cheaper to purchase from Penonaudio or from Chinese sites.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #6,353 of 18,020

Oh that sucks, but 650 USD does covert to 850 CAD at the recent rate. Might be cheaper to purchase from Penonaudio or from Chinese sites.

Not likely, once the duties and taxes hit you the price will be very similar.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #6,354 of 18,020

Reading between the lines, something tells me you already got your hands on balanced amp module.  Common, spill the beans!!!
biggrin.gif

No, not really.

Quote:
how would this cmpare to

1.iphone 6 and above?
2. astel and kernal 240?

Never listened to a iPhone 6 or 6S to tell you about it. But Apple has been pretty consistent on its SQ - very solid, but they are most on the entry level audiophile's DAP level, best compared between FiiO X1 and X3II.

Don't own an A&K for any direct comparison, but I did listen to the AK380 in recent past and just going by memory (and take that with a grain of salt), I think X7 is every bit as good, if not better.

X7 is designed with music in mind, and probably best used that way. Don't buy an X7 thinking it might be an Android wonder box for audiophiles - it really isn't.  The current firmware is still in beta, so it is hard to say whether we will get to install whatever apps we like in the future. But I think it is safe to say  Spotify and Tidal will probably make it to the final firmware one way or another. In any case, the stock music app on X7 can play music just fine. If you don't need streaming, there is no real need for extra apps.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #6,355 of 18,020
Never listened to a iPhone 6 or 6S to tell you about it. But Apple has been pretty consistent on its SQ - very solid, but they are most on the entry level audiophile's DAP level, best compared between FiiO X1 and X3II.

Don't own an A&K for any direct comparison, but I did listen to the AK380 in recent past and just going by memory (and take that with a grain of salt), I think X7 is every bit as good, if not better.

X7 is designed with music in mind, and probably best used that way. Don't buy an X7 thinking it might be an Android wonder box for audiophiles - it really isn't.  The current firmware is still in beta, so it is hard to say whether we will get to install whatever apps we like in the future. But I think it is safe to say  Spotify and Tidal will probably make it to the final firmware one way or another. In any case, the stock music app on X7 can play music just fine. If you don't need streaming, there is no real need for extra apps.
Well said

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #6,357 of 18,020

I have the Hifiman 901s and thought that would be a high water mark, but I feel the X7 bests it.  The 901s is all that it will be, but the X7 is an evolving work in progress that’s worth the investment for what it will eventually become.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #6,358 of 18,020
  I have the Hifiman 901s and thought that would be a high water mark, but I feel the X7 bests it.  The 901s is all that it will be, but the X7 is an evolving work in progress that’s worth the investment for what it will eventually become.

WHAAAAAAAT, the X7 sounds BETTER THAN THE HIFIMAN 901s, seriously?  Is this just a case of the hype-train becoming too damn overblown and all the hype creating expectation-bias in favor of the X7, or is that ACTUALLY TRUE, guys???

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #6,360 of 18,020

WHAAAAAAAT, the X7 sounds BETTER THAN THE HIFIMAN 901s, seriously?  Is this just a case of the hype-train becoming too damn overblown and all the hype creating expectation-bias in favor of the X7, or is that ACTUALLY TRUE, guys???

As a writer of note I choose my words carefully, so show me where I stated the X7 sounds better than the 901s?  I said the X7 bests it in my book since it includes streaming, apps and a more preferable UI and more possibilities for expansion.  It’s an evolving product whereas the 901s is stagnant. The X7 also matches the main attribute for the 901s which is the ability to change amp modules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back