FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #6,316 of 18,020

I would trust the manufacturer pricing over any other information regarding pricing. X7 is slated to be $649 USD.

It will be $649.99, just spoke with Fiio @ TAVES... review forthcoming
ksc75smile.gif

Strange, I just returned from TAVES, and I was told by FiiO's Canadian importer rep that the X7 will cost between $8-900 CDN, possibly more, when released, which is now scheduled to be in the new year and not before Christmas. If this info from the actual distributor is incorrect, I wish they could all get their stories straight. I argued with him that even with the exchange rate the player should not be more than $800 CDN and that FiiO has claimed that the release date for N.A. will be pre-christmas, well  before Christmas. The rep told me that the latest most recent info he has is that FiiO has now revised both the expected CDN list price and the availability date. 

Got to spend some considerable time with the unit. Granted not in the most optimal of conditions and with unfamiliar headphones going through an Audio Alchemy stack, not direct form the headphone out and what i heard while definitely a good step up form my X5 gen1 which I brought with me and hooked up to the same system, different files however, I am not sure that at it's expected price point that it will match or outperform comparable DAP's from other competitors. Too early to tell.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #6,317 of 18,020
  How do you do the FW update on the X7?

- Download zip file to your computer
- Connect X7 to your computer
- On X7 you will get USB mass storage screen - select Turn on USB storage and click OK
- X7 gets assigned a logic drive letter on your computer so you can view the files
- Copy fw zip file to X7, I prefer into Download directory
- Turn off USB storage on X7
- Click on Support icon in X7 and then click on Update
- Select Internal_sd and navigate to Download and select fw zip file - OK to confirm to start firmware update

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #6,320 of 18,020
And better than any desktop rig.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #6,321 of 18,020
Nov 1, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #6,322 of 18,020
Among the bundled, medium power, high power and balanced amp modules, any indication from Fiio which is the best-performing for IEMs? Would there be other amp modules beyond these in future? I think would be interesting if third party modules are supported too.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #6,323 of 18,020
Among the bundled, medium power, high power and balanced amp modules, any indication from Fiio which is the best-performing for IEMs? Would there be other amp modules beyond these in future? I think would be interesting if third party modules are supported too.

If you hadn't mislabeled the amp modules you would have your answer.

The IEM Module is meant to be the best for IEMs. And it's the only one "bundled" with the player.

There is some hope among us members the Balanced Module will be even better. But you will need balanced cables to work with it.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #6,324 of 18,020

- On X7 you will get USB mass storage screen - select Turn on USB storage and click OK
- X7 gets assigned a logic drive letter on your computer so you can view the files
- Select Internal_sd and navigate to Download and select fw zip file - OK to confirm to start firmware update

I can't seem to get back to the screen with all the icons. It used to always come up but now I am just in the play mode. lol Too many variables. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #6,325 of 18,020

I can't seem to get back to the screen with all the icons. It used to always come up but now I am just in the play mode. lol Too many variables. 

This could be a variable "bug" or an intended "feature".  You know how to switch between Android Mode and Pure Music Mode, by pulling down notification bar from the upper right corner where the clock is, and selecting the mode by tapping upper left corner of the menu.

If you are in Pure Music Mode and reboot your X7, it will boot up into FiiO Audio Player at start up and you won't be able to exit it.  Thus, you need to switch to Android Mode, and reboot your X7 to get back to your typical Android environment where you have access to other apps and shortcuts.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #6,326 of 18,020

will this be best dap available?

If it isn't the best, it is definitely among the best - that I can assure you.

Reading between the lines, something tells me you already got your hands on balanced amp module.  Common, spill the beans!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #6,328 of 18,020

This could be a variable "bug" or an intended "feature".  You know how to switch between Android Mode and Pure Music Mode, by pulling down notification bar from the upper right corner where the clock is, and selecting the mode by tapping upper left corner of the menu.

If you are in Pure Music Mode and reboot your X7, it will boot up into FiiO Audio Player at start up and you won't be able to exit it.  Thus, you need to switch to Android Mode, and reboot your X7 to get back to your typical Android environment where you have access to other apps and shortcuts.

Thanks that worked. I had it in the Pure Music Mode. Got it updated. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #6,329 of 18,020

Thanks that worked. I had it in the Pure Music Mode. Got it updated. 

There is a bit of a learning (or in this case trial'n'error) curve, but once you figure thing out - it actually starts to make sense.  Besides, firmware is still an active work in progress.

Btw, this gave me an idea.  So far I had it in Android Mode when I noticed a rather fast idle drain.  Will switch to pure music mode and let it idle overnight to see if it makes any difference, hoping that in pure music mode a lot of other android processes are being suspended.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #6,330 of 18,020

There is a bit of a learning (or in this case trial'n'error) curve, but once you figure thing out - it actually starts to make sense.  Besides, firmware is still an active work in progress.

Btw, this gave me an idea.  So far I had it in Android Mode when I noticed a rather fast idle drain.  Will switch to pure music mode and let it idle overnight to see if it makes any difference, hoping that in pure music mode a lot of other android processes are being suspended.

That would seem to be right. If in pure music mode, everything else should be off. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back