FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 31, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #6,286 of 18,020

With over-ear cans, I'm actually digging it now with my MSR7, a great pair up with a nicely textured sound and surprisingly wide (but shallow) soundstage.

One set of can I'm really looking forward to take for a spin is Beyer DT 1770 Pro, but we are talking about new Tesla 2.0 drivers and 250 ohm impedance, so I have a feeling those will need more juice where default IEM amp module won't cut it.

Nice! The MSR7 seems like it works well the default iem module. And you must be psychic because I was just reading into the DT1770. But the 250 Ohms will definitely be a lot to handle. Was thinking of the MSR7 but reports of the headband tightness makes me really want to audition beforehand but none of my local stores carry it bummer :frowning2:

But I think they might stock the DT1770 once thats out, either way my over ear situation was pretty bad. Tried the UE6000 out of the X7, sounds terrible as usually thats not a surprise (the one purchase I really regret to this day lol) and the Takstar sounds decent out of the X7 but its not really pushing the X7 at all. Was hoping to get something that really brings out the best in the X7 (preferably without an external amp but I dont mind if it needs one) 

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6,287 of 18,020
twister6, I just tested the in-line controls with some Apple EarPods and the play/pause and forward/back work. The volume control does not.

Is there some irony here? Apple standard works better than Android standard in-line control, lol! :D

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #6,288 of 18,020
@twister6, I just tested the in-line controls with some Apple EarPods and the play/pause and forward/back work. The volume control does not.

Is there some irony here? Apple standard works better than Android standard in-line control, lol!
biggrin.gif

Indeed, this is too funny.  I just tried it with various android specific remotes and it doesn't work (no play/pause, no volume control).  Tried it with other single-button universal in-line remote cables (like the one with M-100), and it still doesn't work.  Just plugged in my UE600i which has Apple-specific in-line remote and play/pause is working.  Go figure!

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #6,291 of 18,020

well, I think OTG capability will be added to the X7, so if need be, you can link up something like a 2 TB portable HD 
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, but that to me detracts from the portability.

I've got a pair of 128GB cards loaded into my X5 that contain every song I own, and while I could probably fit all my music onto a single 200GB card for the X7, it wouldn't leave much room for future expansion... and would require buying an expensive new card.

Plus, I really want to find out how the two units compare SQ-wise, being that they are both streaming-capable Android devices in the same price range.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #6,292 of 18,020

Yes, but that to me detracts from the portability.

I've got a pair of 128GB cards loaded into my X5 that contain every song I own, and while I could probably fit all my music onto a single 200GB card for the X7, it wouldn't leave much room for future expansion... and would require buying an expensive new card.

Plus, I really want to find out how the two units compare SQ-wise, being that they are both streaming-capable Android devices in the same price range.

I know I was just being facetious haha. I get what you mean. Would be good to see a comparison. I think someone from the thread actually ordered the Onkyo DAP @Sonic Defender  :wink:

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #6,293 of 18,020
  All of that and absolutely no mention of the sound. This is a hi-rez capable DAP, music and how that music sounds should be top of the priority list. I understand other elements of the DAP's performance are also important, but no mention at all of how the sound of this player compares to others you own or have heard?

"All of that" was a person and his thoughts and he took the time to type them and I appreciate it.

Maybe you consider me and my desire to read all form of feedback with sound being one but this is a huge tour. Folks will get their fill of SQ. Little quirks and nuances are what I wanna read about.
@reihead  I appreciated the post and that you didn't repeat what Twister said and instead just linked to him. No sense in repeating your self or having posts with multiple pics quoted and posted.
Head-Fi is a public forum. Members and the General public ( much more of them than us) appreciate all feedback
beerchug.gif

The EQ has +- 12 dB of adjustment (24 dB total)!! It can get things moving.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, the EQ lowers total output about the same amount as the other FiiO players for headroom.

Cool. I can build big shelves with 24dB's.
I forgot but the engaging on the X5 dropped the output by -6dB IIRC
I look forward to opening the gates to bassland with this thing
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #6,294 of 18,020
For EQ-philes I'm using the X7 now with 24/96 ALAC and the EQ works. So it seems there's no more EQ sampling rate limit from FiiO on the X7. Yay. :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #6,295 of 18,020
For EQ-philes I'm using the X7 now with 24/96 ALAC and the EQ works. So it seems there's no more EQ sampling rate limit from FiiO on the X7. Yay.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep it's brilliant - and although I agree technically with others that the L5 Pro sounds a little better - the X7 wins on GUI, features, and usability at the moment.  If (in both DAP's current state) I had to choose right now between them, I'd take the X7.  It's a more complete package at the moment.

If L&P can  fix their UI and add some features though - then you have a real battle.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #6,296 of 18,020
Yep it's brilliant - and although I agree technically with others that the L5 Pro sounds a little better - the X7 wins on GUI, features, and usability at the moment.  If (in both DAP's current state) I had to choose right now between them, I'd take the X7.  It's a more complete package at the moment.

If L&P can  fix their UI and add some features though - then you have a real battle.

I just HAVE to hear the L5 pro! Been scanning the L5 pro thread and it seems like it sounds great. Back to the X7..... :wink:

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #6,297 of 18,020
^^ thanks Hawaiibadboy.

Before posting I read about 20 pages of the thread, it was a surprise to find a post that echoed exactly what I was about to write, even better with a level minded approach.

This is a challenging product to test and review. There is a lot to cover, even when we only have one amp module available.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #6,298 of 18,020
Vince and Alex both have one.  If you really want to "knock your socks off", see if you can also get time with the LP5. It drives full sized headphones incredibly well.  I took my review unit to the NZ Meet, and there were a few guys tried it on their HD800s.  The looks on their faces was priceless.  One guy commented that it sounded better than his home set-up.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/luxury-precision-lp5-32bit-dsd-portable-lossless-music-player/reviews/13030

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #6,300 of 18,020
Here is my opinion about the buttons (keep in mind, MY PERSONAL opinion).  I'm a diehard Galaxy phone user, Volume buttons on the left side, Power button on the right side, and my phone gets a lot of mileage throughout a day.  When I use AK120ii, transport buttons on the left side, when I use L5 Pro - transport buttons on the right side.  When I use Cayin N6 - volume buttons on the right side, playback wheel-click on the left side, and with N5 - volume on the left side, playback with screen off underneath.  With FiiO DAPs you have volume on the left side, and power above it.  If you use one device for awhile, you get used to it and operation becomes a second nature.  With X7, my brain goes into smartphone mode where volume is on the left side and power is on the.. ergh, the same side, not the opposite side like in every Galaxy phone used in my household.

But this is all part of a brain burn in, I can get over it.  Symmetrical location of the buttons is where the problem due to my grip of X7 (I don't have big hands, and this is hefty devices, so I exercise a stronger grip when handling X7) which results in me pushing buttons symmetrically on both sides.  So I have to remember to take my index finger off track skip buttons when I'm adjusting the volume, and vise versa.  The same when turning the screen off with a power button or pushing play/pause.  I don't expect everybody to experience the same problem, and clearly a number of people already expressed it's not an issue for them, but it is for me.  That is a reason why I'm looking forward to a case where perhaps there going to be a cutout for buttons making them slightly recessed which should mitigate this problem for me.

You are not alone.

Because of what I do for a living I have been able to test lots of smartphones, For most makers and users, attributes like screen size and resolution are very important while sound quality is not.

For a music player is the other way around, SQ is the most important thing and screen is definitely not as important.

A bit off topic for a bit:
For me buttons are important in a smartphone, the power button is used a lot everyday and its position and feedback is often an issue. This has taken way more importance in the last couple of years since phones are bigger and bigger. I can go into detail here but in short button placement has been moved to the side and have a different texture of the volume buttons. Good examples:

http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/nexus2cee_wm_M6.jpg

https://fs02.androidpit.info/userfiles/4376948/image/htc-one-m9-side-power-button-w782.jpg

As mid 2015, these has started to change since the fingerprint scanners would unlock the phone and turn the screen on, eliminating the use of the power button for those task. Now I'm not saying the X7 should have a fingerprint scanner.

Back to the X7, definitely the power button of my review unit is not as clicky as the others and its a bit more difficult to press. I understand these units are not production ones.

At risk of being repetitive, for me the buttons are not great. Better buttons and the use of different texture would make a difference.

Maybe buttons will be improved in the production X7s? Joe Bloggs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back